Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited December 2017 in The 2.5 Update Beta
Great news, Infinity Engine fans!

Owners of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition on Steam, Beamdog, and Google Play now have beta access to the upcoming 2.5 update!

The 2.5 Update is focused primarily on multiplayer improvements, restoring cross-compatible play, and resolving any critical errors. Oh, and we’ve added the Shaman class to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition!

This update isn’t complete just yet, which is why we’re seeking your feedback on the work that we’ve done so far. Grab the beta, check into this subforum, test it until your eyes burst, and then let us know what you think! About the game, not about your extreme and sudden eye pain.

The 2.5 Update beta will run from December 5th, 2017 to January 8th, 2018, with the possibility of an extension, as we gather data and feedback from beta participants. If you help us out with the beta you’ll receive a special Beamdog Forum badge that you can use to lord over your friends, family, and rivals.

After the holidays we’ll review your feedback, finish the fixes, and make the 2.5 Update available on Beamdog, Steam, GoG, the Mac App Store, Google Play, and the iOS App Store. Every platform will get this update! Can your toaster run Linux? Did you install Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition on it? It will get this update!

The release version of the 2.5 Update will include the correct German VO for Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition from the original Baldur’s Gate II, but it won’t be included in the beta. Check the Engine 2.5 Patch Notes
on the blog. Patch notes for each game will accompany the full release of the 2.5 Update. For now, see the blog notes and the following notes from the Redmine:
Next Update
Issues to be addressed in the next BG:EE update
Issues to be addressed in the next BGII:EE update
Issues to be addressed in the next Infinity Engine update

Worried about a fix or feature that didn’t make it into 2.5? Worry not! We’ve been listening to and recording your feedback this whole time, and we have some exciting plans for more Infinity Engine updates to come. Stay tuned!

Wondering about Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear on mobile? We’ll have some great news to share on that front soon*!

*For real this time!

Find out how to access the 2.5 update beta here.

Check how to report bugs here.

P.S. The IWD:EE achievements will have placeholder art until the end of the week.
Also, as stated above, there will be a special beta badge, how it will be distributed is still being determined.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
aarionnlefreuthook71AstroBryGuyDev6argent77AronEnuhalproccomlnevese[Deleted User]taclaneMateoFrozenDoubledimasGrammarsalad[Deleted User]deltagoNonnahswriterkaguanaTigerbalsamAerakarPeccableusteelAdulcmk24_Luke_CluasmodestvoltakanisathaBelegCuthalionStummvonBordwehrlolienArctodushistamiiniAnduinRAM021SpaceInvadersemiticgoddessOxvaEtaminRik_KirtaniyaKenjiTresset

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    How do I access the bets with the beamdog client? The example in the link above is for the INDIVIDUAL game client. No such drop down menu exists on my client.
    AstroBryGuydeltagoJuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I don't see the public betas in the Beamdog Client either. I tried forcing an update check in the settings, but it reported to be up-to-date.
    deltagoMortiannaJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Hey @JuliusBorisov,

Do you plan to let PC players disable UI scaling and set the in-game resolution? This is a loooooong standing feature request, if you aren't familiar with it.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited December 2017
    Is there a trick to getting the dropdown option in the beamdog client? Only getting it for Neverwinter, not the 2.5 games.
    JuliusBorisov
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Ok, now I'm ready to buy PST:EE.

Love you, guys.
    JuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Being only 37 points out of the top ten, I would really like to get this badge; however, there is no Retail menu on the client.

Are we expecting a client update soon with this latest patch as well?
    JuliusBorisov
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Ugh! I had to leave town for a business trip and I only have my iOS versions. Beamdog will just have to wait until Friday before I can give any feedback :smile:
    JuliusBorisov
  • JBDDJBDD Member Posts: 11
    This is great, but.. No beta for GOG users?
    JuliusBorisovDev6
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I'm looking in the Beamdog client, and I only see a beta option under Baldur's Gate II.

Darnit, I want my shaman in Icewind Dale! D:
    JuliusBorisov
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    I can't download the beta, neither on Windows nor MacOS. The Beamdog client is V2.1.3.
    rede9JuliusBorisov
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited December 2017
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I wanted to start a new IWD:EE run for a while - excellent time now!

Would be great to clarify how to get the badge, eg at least one submitted bug or something?
    JuliusBorisov
    Raduziel said:

Ok, now I'm ready to buy PST:EE.

Love you, guys.

How do 2.5 patches strike home with PSTee?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Good morning, everyone!
    ThacoBell said:

How do I access the bets with the beamdog client? The example in the link above is for the INDIVIDUAL game client. No such drop down menu exists on my client.

You don't need the individual client (I'm not sure what you mean here) - you need the new Beamdog Client (available at https://www.beamdog.com/about/client), not the old Client.

As for the dropdown menu, - I've passed this info to the devs, but it's currently 2 AM in Canada, so we have to wait.
    agris said:

Do you plan to let PC players disable UI scaling and set the in-game resolution? This is a loooooong standing feature request, if you aren't familiar with it.

Of course I know about your feature request, @agris, you were quite vocal about it at the release of PST:EE. The development team also know about it, but there're no comments.
    JBDD said:

Indeed, the beta is only for Beamdog, Steam and GooglePlay.
    rede9 said:
    I included the links to the Redmine, but as said on the blog, full patch notes for each game will accompany the full release of the 2.5 Update.

As for missing features: "Worried about a fix or feature that didn’t make it into 2.5? Worry not! We’ve been listening to and recording your feedback this whole time, and we have some exciting plans for more Infinity Engine updates to come. Stay tuned!"
    koteko said:

Would be great to clarify how to get the badge, eg at least one submitted bug or something?

As said in the OP, how the badge will be distributed is still being determined. As soon as I find out, I'll share this info with all of you!
    JBDDAndreaColombo
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited December 2017
    Hmm...

No Priest of Tempus...

No improved user interface, still that horribly wonky 2.0 stuff...

UI scaling still binary... this is horrible on modern monitors, having to choose between a really tiny UI and a really huge UI...

Overall, this update leaves me seriously unimpressed, considering it took about a year and a half to bring this out. :(

Also, I wasn't able to do the Beta installs on the Beamdog client. Had to fire up Steam for that.
    AntipatikoRavenslight
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Thels said:

No Priest of Tempus...

I was kind of expecting this. Any particular reason for it not being added?
  • JBDDJBDD Member Posts: 11

Good morning, everyone!

ThacoBell said:

You don't need the individual client (I'm not sure what you mean here) - you need the new Beamdog Client (available at https://www.beamdog.com/about/client), not the old Client.

As for the dropdown menu, - I've passed this info to the devs, but it's currently 2 AM in Canada, so we have to wait.
    agris said:

Of course I know about your feature request, @agris, you were quite vocal about it at the release of PST:EE. The development team also know about it, but there're no comments.
    JBDD said:

Indeed, the beta is only for Beamdog, Steam and GooglePlay.
    rede9 said:
    I included the links to the Redmine, but as said on the blog, full patch notes for each game will accompany the full release of the 2.5 Update.

As for missing features: "Worried about a fix or feature that didn’t make it into 2.5? Worry not! We’ve been listening to and recording your feedback this whole time, and we have some exciting plans for more Infinity Engine updates to come. Stay tuned!"
    koteko said:

As said in the OP, how the badge will be distributed is still being determined. As soon as I find out, I'll share this info with all of you!
    Okay :( Any plans to bring the beta to GOG? I only have the game on GOG and apparently I can't redeem it or transfer it to any other services like Steam....
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thels said:

Hmm...

No Priest of Tempus...

No improved user interface, still that horribly wonky 2.0 stuff...

UI scaling still binary... this is horrible on modern monitors, having to choose between a really tiny UI and a really huge UI...

Overall, this update leaves me seriously unimpressed, considering it took about a year and a half to bring this out. :(

Also, I wasn't able to do the Beta installs on the Beamdog client. Had to fire up Steam for that.

For this update, the team was focused on engine and multiplayer issues. For A LONG TIME the game had different versions everywhere, people couldn't cross-platform MP, and usually experienced problems playing MP. This update is about the Stability. All existing feature requests are recorder and the team know about it.

But having said that, feel free to file new feature requests on the Redmine. This is what the beta is - play, test and file everything you want!
    JBDDPokotalolienRAM021
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Beta worked fine on the Beamdog client for me, although this might also be because I've been in betas before and thus had all the games available as beta. Furthermore, in advance, I downloaded all the betas so I only needed to update them to v2.5.

I was really hoping for an improvement in UI, but sadly it is not in (yet?). I am seriously considering installing LeFreut's UI but that would be defeating the purpose of an unmodded beta test so I'll keep it as vanilla as can be. But after using the improved UI from that mod it is quite a disappointment when going back to the vanilla v2+ UI.
    JuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited December 2017
    Will we get polish translation for BG2:EE? It's ready for for over 7 months. Also, will you fix this bug: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/21711
    It holds off EET release.
    Post edited by Etamin on
    JuliusBorisov
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    Please, keep version 1.3 as an option on steam. I still prefere the classic interface than 2.5's
    Ravenslight
    Etamin said:

Will we get polish translation for BG2:EE? It's ready for for over 7 months.

Not in the beta, it's currently under revision. The plan is to include it into the release version of 2.5.
    Etaminmichau
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Some of the fixes in this beta are pretty good though, including two I was really looking forward to. I’m also really happy about what Julius wrote re future updates; it gives me hope for a few fixes and features I feel strongly about that haven’t made it in yet :)
    JuliusBorisovSertorius
    edited December 2017
    Let's summarize. Who managed to download what, whence, with? Because I don't.
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    Since it's not possible to open new discussions in this forum as far as I can tell, I'll mention some early findings here: The two bugged SoD achievements, "You chose... poorly" and "Grim deeds to come" still don't unlock (tried it in multiple games). Also, the ending of SoD is now entirely bugged - After the outro movie plays (where you get overwhelmed by shadows), instead of the credits rolling, the game is stuck - you can see the game interface, combined with a black screen, and nothing happens. If others encounter the same problem, we should certainly file a bug report about this.
    JuliusBorisov
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Using the 2.1.3 version of the Beamdog client on Windows, I'm able to download Betas for BG:EE and BG2:EE, but not IWD:EE. Steam and Android seem to be working fine.
    JuliusBorisovrede9RAM021
    Enuhal said:

Since it's not possible to open new discussions in this forum as far as I can tell

Try again, please!
    Enuhal
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    rede9 said:

Let's summarize. Who managed to download what, whence, with?

I have downloaded 2.5 for BG1EE, BG2EE, IWDEE with the Beamdog Client. The only beta I couldn't get is SoD. Like @Doubledimas I already have access to the beta from the previous betas, it may be the reason why it work for us.
    Kilivitzrede9JuliusBorisovDoubledimas
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited December 2017
    rede9 said:

Let's summarize. Who managed to download what, whence, with? Because I don't.

I can only download the BG2EE beta with the Beamdog Client. Betas for BG1EE, SoD and IWDEE are not available.

I can access the BG1EE+SoD beta via Steam Client though, since I participated in a previous beta.
    Nonnahswriter