Skip to content

Ascension for BG2:EE

inethineth Member Posts: 707
edited April 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
For those wondering how to get David Gaider's popular Ascension mod to work with the Enhanced Edition (EE) of Baldur's Gate II:

Manual installation

Don't use the old EXE from the mod's official homepage.
Instead, download and install the EE port of the mod released by the BiG World Project:

DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK (Alternatively, get it from the Github download page.)

Extract it, move the contents of the BiGWorldProject-Ascension-* wrapper folder into your BG2:EE game folder, and install it like any other WeiuDU mod.

Installation with the BiG World Setup

The Big World Setup (BWS) tool already uses this version of Ascension, so if you let BWS install your mods you're all set.

Credits

The EE port was created by @Cuv, then further worked on by @WhiteAgnus and @JediMindTrix, and then picked up by the BiG World Project where it received additional EE compatibility fixes by @ALIEN, @Quitch, @agb1, and @badungu.
For more info on the porting history and older versions, see the discussion starting here.

(I myself wasn't involved in the making of the mod or the EE port – this is just an unofficial thread to inform other fans, because the BWP authors haven't created an official thread for it in this forum.)
Post edited by ineth on
QuitchThacoBellAedanmegamike15ronaldoMantis37JuliusBorisovTyonFlashburnPeccaHalfOrcBeastmasterFlapJediMindTrixCuv

Comments

• SageSage Member Posts: 28
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort fans put into this, but it's getting a wee bit tiresome to keep track of where to get the most up-to-date version of Ascenscion for EE. It is here, yes?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    this is the latest version of the mod.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Sage, I believe that's the reason ineth created this thread. To make it less confusing for everyone to find the most up to date version.
    AedanThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Indeed :smile:
    AedanJuliusBorisov
  • SageSage Member Posts: 28
    Thank you! I've removed 3 other bookmarks and look forward to trying this sometime.
    JuliusBorisov
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I won't use it, I would like to finish my playthroughts. But I am glad anyway it works with BG2:EE. It means a lot for a lot of people.
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    Does the "failed experiment" in the last build mean that the previous build had some kind of big mess up with the latest build fixing it OR was the latest build up a screw up and the previous build is the best version?
    ThacoBell
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Mothor said:

Does the "failed experiment" in the last build mean that the previous build had some kind of big mess up with the latest build fixing it OR was the latest build up a screw up and the previous build is the best version?

Ha! That's an excellent question! I did ponder about it myself yesterday :)

But I think that previous build was a failed experiment and the last one corrected this issue. Otherwise I don't think it would be marked as Latest Release, right @ALIEN?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    @Cahir @Mothor Commit message (and it's usage in the context of release) is misleading, Release is fine.
    JuliusBorisov
  • danbo0001danbo0001 Member Posts: 16
    Is Ascension now fully compatible with EE after the fixes added when BWP picked it up?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @danbo0001 I've been able to use the non BWP version no problem. Though the BWP is supposedly the better version.
  • danbo0001danbo0001 Member Posts: 16
    That's great news, thanks for confirming :)
    The link says this is a non-stable version and not to install.
  • EndlesslyboredEndlesslybored Member Posts: 0
    Is this still working?
    I'm in Spellhold right now and will test this build when I reach ToB.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @ALIEN @agb1
    Hello guys! Thank you very much for your hard work.
    I have just notice that, for some reasons, the Italian translation has the old "ascension" file and not the updated one I gave time ago. Can you please use the attached file?

Quitchcorvorosso610JuliusBorisov
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    This installed perfectly for me. Any idea as to whether this version will become invalidated when 2.5 comes out??
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

This installed perfectly for me. Any idea as to whether this version will become invalidated when 2.5 comes out??

It should be ok. I have installed it on the current beta of 2.5, everything is fine.
    ThacoBell
  • AnomalyAnomaly Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2018
    On retail 2.5, Improved Gromnir and Improved Yaga-Shura can be installed but with warnings.

Gromnir :
    WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPHEALER_O1.baf]
    WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPARCHER_O15.baf]
    WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPTHIEF_O9.baf]
    WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPMERC_O12.baf]

Yaga-Shura :
    WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPKENSAI/GPKENSAI_O16.baf]
    WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPMAGE2/strip1.baf]

It used to install without any warnings in 2.3.
    Other components can be installed without warnings in both versions.
    Aedan
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited July 2018
    IS there anywhere an ascension with improved dialogues, the pool giving you powers, but not the summoning of

both irenicus and bodhi if you don't use "redemption"

and no five at all?
    Arthas said:

IS there anywhere an ascension with improved dialogues, the pool giving you powers, but not the summoning of

both irenicus and bodhi if you don't use "redemption"

and no five at all?

The amped up final battle is the main feature of Ascension. Its kinda like asking for SCS without improved ai.
    Ascension is way more than that. Just take a look at the dialogues. I just would like to use the mod dependant on it (namely redemption\the longer road) without having the five battle because I found it extremely cheesy.
    @Arthas well, it doesn't exist. There is more to Ascension than the final battle (the extra dialogue and bug fixes) but those have been officially patched by the EEs, so that part of Ascension is now redundant. All that leaves is the optional tougher fights for the five, and optional extra bhaal powers for charname and Imoen. The final battle is literally the main reason Ascension was made. That what it was concieved as, and wht the main component of the mod. Its not even an optional module like literally EVERY OTHER COMPONENT OF ASCENSION.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited July 2018
    you sure the ee fixed the issues? so i don't need Ascension to fix imoean's banters not firing due to a typo?

you don't need acenstion for the bhaal spawn powers thats in ub.

you sure the ee fixed the issues? so i don't need Ascension to fix imoean's banters not firing due to a typo?

I'm pretty sure.
    ThacoBell said:

@Arthas well, it doesn't exist. There is more to Ascension than the final battle (the extra dialogue and bug fixes) but those have been officially patched by the EEs, so that part of Ascension is now redundant. All that leaves is the optional tougher fights for the five, and optional extra bhaal powers for charname and Imoen. The final battle is literally the main reason Ascension was made. That what it was concieved as, and wht the main component of the mod. Its not even an optional module like literally EVERY OTHER COMPONENT OF ASCENSION.

you mean that inside bg2:ee the dialogue portion + the bug fixes are now added and you don't need Ascension unless you want the five battle?
    @Arthas the dialogues that didn't fire because of bugs should be in. But the all new dialogue that was added won't be.
    @megamike15

I was referring to thje powers you get in the magic pool in the final area, not the power you get from solving the challenges

@ThacoBell
    I'm referring to Balthazar able to join you; not to bad triggers that make you miss content
    @Arthas no, Balthazar will not join you without Ascension. Thats part of the improved final battle component.
This discussion has been closed.