Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited January 2018
    Tresset said:

Ardanis said:

All paladins should be pretty blonde girls with blue eyes, riding an armored Yamaha bike with a magic sword in hand. And the D&D rules can object all their want.

@Ardanis those eyes look green to me...
    I prefer this one, but then I'm not into bikes.

I think that she's rather dishy. :)
    She is my next character.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Tresset said:

those eyes look green to me...

My shame has no limit, for I made a sin. My guilt has no pardon, for I wronged the Queen :flushed:

I prefer this one

Our Queen is disappointed with her subjects.
    megamike15
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Sure about that?

RaduzielThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @UnderstandMouseMagic The trick is to have intentions and results be in sync. Only having one always causes problems.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Excuse me, can anyone teach me how to make a petition to ban @Zaghoul ?
    Zaghoultbone1Daevelon
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2018
    Here's another one, just for you @Raduziel : 19 strength is largely overrated. The difference between 19 and 18/00 is a measly +1 to damage. If you had in the fact that strength is the easiest stat to boost in the BG saga (through spells, items, potions, ...), half-orcs really got the short end of the stick in the BG games.
    StummvonBordwehrtbone1Zaghoullolien
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hah, if that ain't unpopular I don't know what is. :p
    @Raduziel Thanks, that would get the LOL button if we had it, I needed one today. :)
    Raduziel
    edited January 2018
    @Arctodus It's not a matter of the difference between 19 and 18/00. It's a matter of being able to go straight to 19 without rerolling or having lame stats or losing a good roll because you got an awful percentile roll for Str.

Fighters get the short end of the stick in AD&D in general, so being able to maximize one of the few Fighter's feature right from the beginning of the game is fantastic. And starting the game with 19 STR and using slings or throwing daggers/axes gives you a huge edge.

It's not like the STR tome is right around the corner (like the CON one). And on top of getting a starting boost of STR you can get right away a regenerative-CON value. This will save a lot of potions and spell slot.

19 STR also lets you carry a lot of loot right from the beginning of the game, where every single golden coin matters.

Sign my petition, please.

Edit: The easiest stat to boost, IMHO, is Wisdom (Potion of Insight and three Tomes) followed by Dexterity (Potion of Agility, Potion of Mind Focus and a Tome).

Strength you can get what? A Potion of Strength (plus 1 to hit, plus 2 to damage) or some very rare potions or some potions that need to go to some lame-STR NPCs like Khalid, Kagain or even Ajantis. So having a natural 19 STR helps the party to manage its resources.

Go Half-Orc, my friend. Saving throws naturally improves with level (that's why shorty saves are overrated); stats don't.
    lolienDaevelon
    I'll number you arguments to make it easy:
    Arctodus said:

@Raduziel Not convinced...

1) Strength is the easiest stat to boost. You have potions for 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 strength. They're not really rare (you find plenty throughout the game) and not too costly if you consider the insane amount of money you can have.

2) You can get Draw Upon Holy Might as a Bhaalspawn power in chapter 6 in BG1, so if your fighter has 18 in strength and constitution, he'll walk around with 20 in each stat for any fight that matters. And that's without the tomes that boost your stats.

The strength tome is the most overpowered of the bunch. When you go from 18 to 19 strength, the boost is enormous, which in fact lessen the impact of the half-orc advantage by much. Use a few potions before getting the tome and you won't see a difference.

3) I won't go in details, but you know as well as me that BG2 has a lot of items that set strength to epic levels, which also diminish the half-orc advantage.

4) Saving throws on the other end are life savers, litteraly. You can render a shorty immune to a whole bunch of nasty stuff through them alone.

But hey, I play half-orc once in a while too. Even if I'm a no-reloader, I'm not a min-maxer, so they're pretty cool to play with. 19 base strength is consistently useful throughout the game, no matter how you slice it, I'll give you that. Half-orc is objectively not the best powergaming race, but that doesn't matter.

5) Also, take what I say with a grain of salt : I was just messing with you, in all friendliness. :p I just won't be signing your petition because :

1) I disagree with you;
    2) @Zaghoul is just too damm cool to vote against.

1) You have some potions of 19 and 20 STR. The other ones are not that common. And lots of NPCs need those potions, even frontliners like, as I told before, Kagain and Khalid. So if you make a Offer x Demand analysis you can see that those potions are not that common.

2) By the end of Chapter 6, almost 25% of the entire saga is gone (and exactly what is the hardest part IMHO). And there's always the possibility of not getting DUHM. And even if you get, the higher your physical stats are, the more you benefit from this spell.

3) I don't really think that BG2 is a good parameter because in there even Aerie can become a juggernaut. But indeed, those items reduces the advantage of the half-orc. The problem is: most of those items are used to forge the Crown Fayer, so those are not something that your party can count on.

4) Of course a low saving throw is good, I just don't think that it is a worthy trade-off. BGEE have very few casters that worth the trouble - the game gets heavily reliant on magic during BG2, where your saves are low anyway.

5) I agree with you about @Zaghoul , but I think he needs some time alone to think about the awful things that he said. Maybe suspend his account for a day or two?

6) Play my mods.
    AerakarArctodusZaghoulDaevelon
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Strength is not a big deal for fighters. It is a huge deal for thieves.
    AerakarZaghoulPantalionDaevelon
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Haf Orcs should not be an option for Charname, far too ugly.
    See that baby and people would have been shouting,
    "kill it with fire".
    ArdanisArtona
    ThacoBell said:

Unpopular opinion: Strength is not a big deal. A fighter can still be incredibly useful with 15 STR.

IDK you guys, but I like when my Fighters actually hit and hurt things. Otherwise I would just add another Cleric to the party.

Maybe I think this way because I play BGEE way more than BG2EE.
    tbone1Daevelon
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Raduziel I dunno, my 15 str halfling fighter had no problems hitting things even in ToB. Magic weapons and proficiencies make up for more than strength does.

@UnderstandMouseMagic You sure about that?

@ThacoBell That's why I think I'm biased: BGEE doesn't have tons of weapons and proficiencies.
    ThacoBell
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited January 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@Raduziel I dunno, my 15 str halfling fighter had no problems hitting things even in ToB. Magic weapons and proficiencies make up for more than strength does.

@UnderstandMouseMagic You sure about that?

Yep.

See that and start running because obviously something has invaded from outer space.

Have you not seen Independence Day?
    Yeah, yeah, hold up a sign saying welcome, good idea........
    That worked so well. :D

Xena though........
    Well if ever any woman was going to tempt me to bat for the other side, she'd be up there.
    Pretty horse as well. what's not to like?
    ThacoBelltbone1
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848

Could you explain why as I have never quite understood the game's mechanics in this regard.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Thieves need the thac0
    ThacoBellDJKajuruAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Dragon Age:Origin's combat system is closer to Baldur's Gate's than Nwn 1 and 2 .
    ThacoBellRaduzielArtona
  • Quayle is better than Branwen.
    ThacoBellArctodusAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    tbone1 said:

Branwen is better than Viconia

Quayle is better than Branwen.

Which parameters are you considering?
    Tiax is better than Quayle
    RaduzielZaghoulAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • Personality, looks, wit and charm, height, voice, firmness of handshake, and combat abilities.

Wait, this IS the unpopular opinions thread, right?

Uhh, Tiax is better than Jaheira and Viconia combined.
    No no no
    You are supposed to write yeslick is better than tiax, jaheira is better than yeslick and end with viconia is better than jaheira. Otherwise we never get full circle
    ArctodusDJKajuruPokota
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2018
    Ok, here goes :

Yeslick is better than Tiax.
    Shar-Teel is better than Yeslick. (I'm cheating, I know...)