Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Shandaxx said:

deltago said:

You'd also think they would have a replacement named if they knew for awhile

I dunno. The way it sounds Beamdog treated him you can go to any high school and hire a creative writing instructor and replace him with that.

It feels like a waste of time and talent. Without the backstory behind it though, its all speculation :neutral:
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

tbone1 said:

We do not talk about midichlorians.

And don't mention the war!
    The Clone Wars cartoons were good though.
    Wow, I must be getting REALLY old if this reference is missed.

StummvonBordwehrAstroBryGuy
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited February 2018

chris actually did research and watched alot of star wars before making kotor 2. everything kreia says was just his opinion of the star wars universe. altho in recent years he said he may have went alittle over board and made it sound more spiteful then he intended.

But Kreia
    rounds up and murders all jedi she can find

is she not supposed to be spiteful!!? IDGI, it's like saying North Korea isn't sufficiently respectful of USA. Well, duh!

Edit: P. S. Why y'all judging a game before they even released a demo or promo yet? Ok, some Gaider dude left, and sure sure, he is talented - but this is real life! Some times peoples chemistry don't mix well, and that's just how it is. Save your rock throwing for until AFTER the game is released, methinks!
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Raduziel said:

This thread is beginning to sound has always been like: All you don't want to know about the next Beamdog's project.

FTFY.
    RaduzielMontresor_SP
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    tbone1 said:

tbone1 said:

What movie is that?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

tbone1 said:

tbone1 said:

What movie is that?
    Fawlty Towers - a BBC show from the late 1970s starring John Cleese.
    Ardul
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2018
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage @AstroBryGuy @tbone1
    I feel so, so old now. As if I didn't already. Come August, all of my incoming students will have been born post-9/11. Already this year, most students were born post-9/11.
    AstroBryGuyBalrog99ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    ThacoBell said:

Its entirely possible that this mean the major writing portion of the new IP is done, and Gaider was a temporary contract. Considering SoDs generally high quality of writing, I'm not concerned with Beamdog's ability to write stories without him.

I so SO want to hope you are right here! Can not even force myself to believe it (too many times it was wrong for Bioware) and completely agree with @deltago but faint weak hope is all that is left, so, I take it.

Damn, it's disappointing!
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    kanisatha said:

Oh I agree it is likely he wasn't fired, but rather that he resigned because he felt he had no other choice.

I think @TrentOster's vision for the new game is that it be a "new" version of NwN, the NwN game he always wanted to make but previously couldn't, a multiplayer focused game set in a persistent world with modding tools and user-created and premium modules. And I think Gaider wanted to make, and believed he'd been hired precisely to make a classic single player party-based cRPG focused on a strong story, character development, roleplaying and meaningful choices. Two very different creative visions but only one could survive, so Gaider had to go.

I really hope you are wrong about it being multiplayer version of NwN+ but after seeing news about Gaider leaving and posts about a job opening for an HTML5 dev to work on an online game I’m starting to be afraid you are correct. I’m not really into the whole online multiplayer thing so I’d probably pass on that.
    kanisatha
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I actually think a DND multiplayer can work, if it takes liberties with the DND rule system (which is actually meant for turnplaying, which DOES not work so well in multi, because you play your 30 sec and wait 5 min to 30 min for your next 30 sec). If it is like a singleplayer game, only it's jumpin jumpout for companions, like Secret of Mana, and the combat system is Zelda-esque and Champions of Norrath-esque. So, like I said, wait with throwing your rocks until the game is out. Then again, I too do not believe it will work if it is NWN take 2. There is a reason it did not work the first time. I think most people play it in single player, or like some weird kind of PvP multiplayer. What did Einstein say about trying a failed concept twice again?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited February 2018
    Y'all have never played on a Persistent World, have you? It works just fine, for record. NWN1 & 2 have lots of PWs, and they're quite active (if small). It's like a small MMO that uses D&D3.X rules (as opposed to the usual MMO expectations). So... this idea that "it didn't work", no idea where you got that from...

Here's a list of all the NWN1 & 2 persistent worlds: http://www.nwnlist.com/#

I currently play on the Baldur's Gate PW, which is a NWN2 PW.
    tbone1deltago
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    kanisatha said:

I think @TrentOster's vision for the new game is that it be a "new" version of NwN, the NwN game he always wanted to make but previously couldn't, a multiplayer focused game set in a persistent world with modding tools and user-created and premium modules. And I think Gaider wanted to make, and believed he'd been hired precisely to make a classic single player party-based cRPG focused on a strong story, character development, roleplaying and meaningful choices. Two very different creative visions but only one could survive, so Gaider had to go.

If this is the case then you can count me out.
    kanisathakillerrabbit
    edited February 2018
    Dev6 said:

Maybe you should stop believing unsupported speculation, huh? Nothing @kanisatha says is supported by the Early Access for NWN:EE OR by anything else. Beamdog hasn't said why Gaider left (and frankly, they probably shouldn't either).

Mirandel
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Dev6 said:

Maybe you should stop believing unsupported speculation, huh? Nothing @kanisatha says is supported by the Early Access for NWN:EE OR by anything else. Beamdog hasn't said why Gaider left (and frankly, they probably shouldn't either).
    You lack basic reading comprehension, got it. Let me point you to the fact that my sentence started with an if. Get off your high horse, forums are made for discussing things.
    kanisatha
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There's no need to be like Marl when sharing opinions, folks.
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrRaduziellolien
    edited February 2018
    Dev6 said:

You lack basic reading comprehension, got it. Let me point you to the fact that my sentence started with an if. Get off your high horse, forums are made for discussing things.

There's discussion and then there's unfounded speculation. More of the former please...

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Fardragon said:

Beamdog was formed from former Bioware folk though, with some overlap with the people who created the original games. ToEE and Arcanum where made be entirely different people with no connection to Beamdog.

You're probably right but please don't crush my dreams! :wink:
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    @TrentOster's tweet in response to the recent waypoint.vice.com article about NwN is very telling to me.
    kanisatha said:

@TrentOster's tweet in response to the recent waypoint.vice.com article about NwN is very telling to me.

Telling in what way?
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Wow. Gaider is gone. I guess that's just about it.

[cue Jim Morrison] . . . my only friend, the end.

I hope when people look back on Beamdog they are able to distinguish the idea from the execution. This idea -- small company, good labor practices, developing games for niches overlooked by the big guys -- is sound. Someone just needs to do it well.

I **cough* *hack* *wheeze* remember when Lord British of the Ultima Series told us all why the days of isometric games were over -- 3D shooter view is so much more immersive, combat all the more compelling . . . And that was taken as gospel truth. And there was a good reason to believe it was true-- devs made piles of money from shooters. And then BG came out with a completely retro format that *everyone* knew wouldn't work. (and it's no accident that there are Ultima references throughout BG).

Bioware had it right, they could make a successful game using a format everyone thought was dead.

And Beamdog was right -- they brought back not just the isometric game but the engine so many loved. And they showed how a small dev can have big impact -- they developed some characters in house, they outsourced others. My favorite EE character -- Neera -- was created by Ossian, not Beamdog itself. This is how small organizations can have a big impact -- by forming networks. It's the same way my food coop works. Its the same way my credit union works. There is nothing I can't do at my credit union that I couldn't do at a bank . . .

But, for some reason, Beamdog didn't learn from its success. It didn't seek to network with other small devs. The result has been an *incredibly* slow dev time and meager offerings. SoD was good -- but we should have had an expansion by now.

So, @David_Gaider if you are still around here is my unsolicited advice. Why not form your own company?

Yes, yes, because you don't want to be the boss. But you could do what some worker cooperatives do -- hire a business manager and make most of the decisions democratically. Tell the boss what to do. Why not form a game development cooperative network? Find the best people in the business -- the people you already know -- and get them to all work together? Get enough people together and you only need to work a couple of days a week -- devs could take it on as second job. This model works. It keeps me fed. It manages my money.

Remember what led you to leave the big guys, learn from both the successes and the mistakes of this small dev and start a cooperative. And make BG3 your first project.
    Balrog99ShapiroKeatsDarkMage[Deleted User]Raduziel
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Wow. Gaider is gone. I guess that's just about it.

[cue Jim Morrison] . . . my only friend, the end.

I hope when people look back on Beamdog they are able to distinguish the idea from the execution. This idea -- small company, good labor practices, developing games for niches overlooked by the big guys -- is sound. Someone just needs to do it well.

I **cough* *hack* *wheeze* remember when Lord British of the Ultima Series told us all why the days of isometric games were over -- 3D shooter view is so much more immersive, combat all the more compelling . . . And that was taken as gospel truth. And there was a good reason to believe it was true-- devs made piles of money from shooters. And then BG came out with a completely retro format that *everyone* knew wouldn't work. (and it's no accident that there are Ultima references throughout BG).

Bioware had it right, they could make a successful game using a format everyone thought was dead.

And Beamdog was right -- they brought back not just the isometric game but the engine so many loved. And they showed how a small dev can have big impact -- they developed some characters in house, they outsourced others. My favorite EE character -- Neera -- was created by Ossian, not Beamdog itself. This is how small organizations can have a big impact -- by forming networks. It's the same way my food coop works. Its the same way my credit union works. There is nothing I can't do at my credit union that I couldn't do at a bank . . .

But, for some reason, Beamdog didn't learn from its success. It didn't seek to network with other small devs. The result has been an *incredibly* slow dev time and meager offerings. SoD was good -- but we should have had an expansion by now.

So, @David_Gaider if you are still around here is my unsolicited advice. Why not form your own company?

Yes, yes, because you don't want to be the boss. But you could do what some worker cooperatives do -- hire a business manager and make most of the decisions democratically. Tell the boss what to do. Why not form a game development cooperative network? Find the best people in the business -- the people you already know -- and get them to all work together? Get enough people together and you only need to work a couple of days a week -- devs could take it on as second job. This model works. It keeps me fed. It manages my money.

Remember what led you to leave the big guys, learn from both the successes and the mistakes of this small dev and start a cooperative. And make BG3 your first project.

I thought Final Fantasy was responsible for the decline in popularity of Western RPGs. Great, now i hate FPS.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    deltago said:

Except: Beamdog has lost 2 of 3 writers responsible for SoD.

There were three writers responsible for SoD?
    ThacoBellRaduziellolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Technically http://press.siegeofdragonspear.com/ mentions 2 people under "Writing" and 1 person under "Additional Writing".
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]cmk24
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    What does that mean?
    Just a comment regarding the post by @deltago
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I understand that, but what does additional writing mean in comparison to writing.
    [Deleted User]
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Technically http://press.siegeofdragonspear.com/ mentions 2 people under "Writing" and 1 person under "Additional Writing".

I counted @PhillipDaigle as a writer as well as I think he was responsible for the early writing (such as the shifty door dialog) that was written before Amber or Andrew started working for Beamdog.

That could have been written by Liam instead. If so, we can just change 2 out 3 to EVERYONE responsible for writing on SoD is no longer on staff. Depending on who you ask, that doesn't sound better.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]