Skip to content

Saying goodbye

I can no longer consider the Beamdog Forums a friendly place. So I'm out. Also uninstalling all Beamdog games because without the forums, they're not as much fun.
So, all you nice people here: Goodbye! May we meet again in better circumstances.

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    There are other communities around this game...
    Even though, I use @Shandaxx ignore feature to blank the most annoying members out.
    [Deleted User]
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    The Beamdog forums are often not a friendly place. But I hope you stay anyway. There are more than enough good people to make it worth it. And if you let who you dont like drive you out the climate would only get worse.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellkanisatha
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Not trying to insult anyone here, but this is probably the friendliest forum I've ever seen in my life. Maybe some of you need to toughen up a little bit.
    Balrog99
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    @Dev6 no it is not you wouldnt want me to quote your self
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Whether OP is goint to leave or not, it's up to him/her. I personally think OP shouldn't leave because of such a reason, and even if OP chooses to leave, there is no point in uninstalling all Beamdog games. The best way is to give yourself some time, cool down emotionally and then make a decision. Regardless if whole reason for that in the first place is something you hear from other person or your own mistake or something else.

You haven't seen a hostile place yet.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited February 2018
    ThacoBell said:

Dev6 said:

Not trying to insult anyone here, but this is probably the friendliest forum I've ever seen in my life. Maybe some of you need to toughen up a little bit.

Yes and no. In general, this forum is a fantastically friendly place, especially online. Nastiness and hostility DOES break out here from time to time. I've seen plenty of flaming here, and while other places online definitely are worse, it doesn't discount the occasional crap that can happen here as well. Its a give and take.
    I think it works both ways, especially in threads criticizing content. The way I see it no matter how the OP presents his/her argument, literally half the time is spent battling strawmen about how ''everyone always mean against beamdog'' Then usually 4-5 pages later, the entire thread has been derailed, now everyone is pissed off.. Mods have no choice but to close the thread.

Friendly place sure, but also incredibly immature(or at least thats my perspective) sometimes.
    WarChiefZekebooinyoureyes

oi m8 imma shank ya innit?
    ThacoBell said:

Nastiness and hostility DOES break out here from time to time.

Just like real life.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    This is the goodbye I get then?
    Well, I *really* must have stepped on some toes in my time here. I had no idea.
    Won't be bothering you anymore.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    I'm quite sure I've stepped on a few toes in the politics thread from time to time. I don't think I've pissed anybody enough for them to leave though. I have no power to back up my views with anything but logic and reasoning so I would hope that anybody who doesn't agree with me would take my words with a grain of salt. I enjoy the banter in this forum. It's a safe place for me to present my views and have them challenged by people I would never encounter in real life, where things like politics and religion are taboo topics that can lead to extremely emotional responses...
    ThacoBellDev6Aerakarbooinyoureyes
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

If anyone thinks the Beamdog Forum is hostile, I shudder to think what the rest of the internet must seem like. This forum is like a church study group compared to your average Youtube comment section. It isn't even comparable.

I've noticed that many online newspapers don't even have a comments section anymore. I used to scan through the comments on some of the more popular ones and I can understand why they don't offer them now...
    semiticgoddessThacoBellTheAndrogynousZonebooinyoureyes
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

If anyone thinks the Beamdog Forum is hostile, I shudder to think what the rest of the internet must seem like. This forum is like a church study group compared to your average Youtube comment section. It isn't even comparable.

Every now and then even a completely non-political site will have someone make a politically-charged statement. One shows up every few weeks at MTGGoldfish but we all ignore them.
    Balrog99ThacoBellbooinyoureyes
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377

@profanitywarning
    @dreamtraveler mostly posts weird stuff in Off-Topic - if that's not your thing, ignore him.

dev6 said:

@dreamtraveler
    You're so delusional you can't even tell when someone is openly mocking you. There's no way this conversation will end in me not getting a mod warning so I'll just leave. Nice tinfoil hat though.

Yeah weird stuff...

@profanitywarning
    @dreamtraveler mostly posts weird stuff in Off-Topic - if that's not your thing, ignore him.

dev6 said:

@dreamtraveler
    You're so delusional you can't even tell when someone is openly mocking you. There's no way this conversation will end in me not getting a mod warning so I'll just leave. Nice tinfoil hat though.

Yeah weird stuff...
    I never said such a thing, that's fake news spread by the illuminati lizardmen.
    Fardragonbooinyoureyes
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Dev6 said:

@profanitywarning

dev6 said:

@dreamtraveler

Yeah weird stuff...
    @dev6 - Yeah, keep going with "fake news"...

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/922044/#Comment_922044

Dev6 said:

@profanitywarning

dev6 said:

@dreamtraveler

Yeah weird stuff...
    @dev6 - Yeah, keep going with "fake news"...

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/922044/#Comment_922044
    The joke went right over your head, nice.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Wut, no Drax quotes?!
    Dev6
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    edited February 2018

I can no longer consider the Beamdog Forums a friendly place. So I'm out. Also uninstalling all Beamdog games because without the forums, they're not as much fun.
    So, all you nice people here: Goodbye! May we meet again in better circumstances.

I perso wonder where you intend to go, for "better" fora? If you find the ideal, do share.

But to punish Beamdog for its fora members is a bit petulant, and I dare say, "beaming at the wrong tree." ;-)

When it comes to trolls and rude agitprop-types, the research shows they tend to contaminate a community, but once it becomes like-minded, it becomes dull for them.

So they move on. And seek to contaminate the next.

I perso think us others should just persist, the best we can.

If you cannot, I understand. But let it be said: even as I left gog.com as my "main" for hate of unhomophobic opinion - I happened to have had the temerity to criticize Dethmold characterisation - I am still The Witcher fan for what the series did for PC RPG gaming.

The difference to you as I see it: my criticism rose from the content that the developer wrote, when I do think Beamdog do moderate their fora better than most, and cannot fairly push out the contaminators, really.

Go if you must. But advertising your "uninstall" is petulant, IMO.

Do you not think it is a little unfair?
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    edited February 2018
    Ps. Let it be said: I did purchase The Witcher 3 via Origin (EA) client - buhahaa :naughty: - on a steep sale more than two years after the release on principle.

I literally put the money where my mouth had been.

I wanted to be a critical-friend fan to CD Project Red, signalling as a paying customer and a gamer I did not find their writing OK. But the difference to Dragonspear debacle in my case was that I resented the homophobia because I thought it might plausibly damage the immersion and gaming joy of my fellow gay-gamers, and it was such complacent writing. Big difference to kicking up a fuss to signal the desire to exclude, and moderation.

But receiving that backlash was not the kiss of death, for me, but lack of discussion that was crowded out by the very behaviour found in studies, plus weird ecosystem of buying your friends. It probably still is a strange incest of fawning the members that gift games, unless things have shifted.

At least we do not have that here, which is a-okey IMO.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Agree with @Shandaxx . Closing the thread.
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.