Skip to content

Who Was Your First Character?

What was the first character you ever took through BG or IWD?

For me, I started playing Baldur's Gate 2 when I was around 11. My first character was a Cavalier with Anomen's portrait and my name, romancing Aerie. I always gave him the best equipment and set him up with the Red Dragon Scale, Dragonscale Shield, Dragon Helm, and Celestial Fury because I thought a warrior with all-red armor and a gold sword looked cool. He had really min-maxed stats and used Intelligence as a dump stat, so I died lots of times in the mind flayer city. Our party always included Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, and Nalia; I ran with a consistently good-aligned party. Anomen joined the group as well, but failed his test because I encouraged him to kill Saerk.
JuliusBorisovThacoBelllolienRavenslightdeltagoOrlonKronsteenGusindasarevok57O_BruceSkatanProont10Bazza11BelgarathMTHGrond0gorgonzolaEmpyrial

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    First character I beat BG1 with was a bard. I'd done the cheat where you give him max stats, and then gotten all the tomes. He was a powerhouse.
    OrlonKronsteenGusindaProont
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    First character I think I had by myself (I had shared a... sorcerer, I think, with a friend?) was a Wizard Slayer who, apparently with everyone else, romanced Aerie. That had Grand Mastery in Katanas and I didn't know about Celestial Fury. I don't recall anything else about that run except reloading a couple dozen times trying to figure out how in Bhaal's name you were supposed to kill Melissan.
    OrlonKronsteenGusindaProontdeltago
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Humanoid_Taifun: Hey! A Trigun reference! All right!

That was one of my favorite animes growing up. I love Vash.
    ThacoBell
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

This maybe something that happened in another game that I have falsely attributed to BG.

I made a female fighter, did all the attributes ect. then got to appearance.
    The little "paper doll" looked like a weight lifter, bulging muscles and a bit squat if you ask me. The colloquial term would be, "looked like a brick sh*t house".

No way I could run with that, changed to ranger half elf and knocked down strength (how was I meant to know that would preclude longbows?).

So am I remembering something wrong?
    I do know the first character was half elven rather than human and a ranger rather than fighter, both quite rare for me for a first time on any game.

ThacoBellGusindaProontgorgonzola
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @UnderstandMouseMagic You remind me of this old comic.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *That* is supposed to be really fat?
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddessSkatan
    ThacoBell said:

Well she definitely wouldn't be described as "svelt".

"Big boned" maybe the polite phrase for somebody in their early twenties built as such.

ThacoBell said:

"Big boned" maybe the polite phrase for somebody in their early twenties built as such.
    Like, is my perception screwed because I'm American? She looks healthy to me.
    Balrog99
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @ThacoBell I am pretty sure the comic was drawn by somebody who is more used to JRPGs than to western RPGs.
    ThacoBell
    @Humanoid_Taifun That would do it. Try comparing ANY jrpg character to a relatively realistic person.
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

Like, is my perception screwed because I'm American? She looks healthy to me.
    Charname is twenty at the start of game and I presume she hasn't had any children (thicker waist).
    So yeah, that's pretty overweight IMO.

Not so much about being healthy, but put it this way. If your joints/spine have to always carry around an extra stone or so, how well are they going to hold up long term?
    It's worrying seeing so many young women, in particular, carrying so much weight around nowadays.