Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @semiticgod

Brunash the Halfling Enchanter : @Flashburn
    Full Tetrology Run
    Notable mods : SCS v30 (only in BG2; long-duration mage/priest prebuffs only, no Tactics challenges except Original Tactics Improved Bodhi), BP Ascension v15 BETA; aTweaks, Rogue Rebalancing, More Style for Mages, Tweaks Anthology, NPC_EE, Golem Construction, Item Upgrade, Oversight (monk HLAs), Coran
    Difficulty : Core
    Start (November 2017)
    Finish (March 2018)
    YgramulussnorwayJuliusBorisovlolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Done!
    YgramulFlashburnJuliusBorisovlolien
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Awesome run! I enjoyed reading it very much. :)
    FlashburnJuliusBorisovAerakarlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    How about a figurine to summon a ferret called @Nimran which can backstab?
    If it's too goofy, then @OlvynChuru will likely come with a good suggestion, just look at his crazy ideas!
    StummvonBordwehrNimranYgramullolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    *sneaky-sneaks onto the thread* That’s a great idea!
    lolien
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Here's my idea.

lolien
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2018
    So, lately I had a bit of a... diversion, which I suppose I am submitting to the judgment of this thread (on the no-reloadness of said diversion, of course).

With NWN:EE coming, I wanted to go back and visit the NWN campaigns, no-reload of course, for both NWN1 & NWN2.

Assessment:

- Vanilla campaigns are a joke. The rest-anywhere feature, combined with get-back-up-if-you-die, makes it a no-brainer to survive a well played game. (It is actually possible to lose the game, as I have reported earlier for NWN OC, but not with a serious approach.)

Other than comic relief, I wouldn't think of reporting my vanilla NWN runs here.

- 'Storms of Zehir' (which I had never played before) is an unexpected delight of an exception: rest is costly and risky, death is also costly. I built an overpowered and well-optimized party, which in the late game was a power house, but I died in the Final Fight! (A high level enemy cleric disabled key party members. Things then went downhill.)

- NWN2 campaigns (OC + MotB) both have mods that turn them in to a 'Storms of Zehir' kind challenge with rest and death restrictions. *THAT* mod makes the NWN2 campaigns worth playing. Suddenly, you can lose the game. (In the early game, there is a finite number of expensive "coins" to revive characters. If your party members bleed out and you are out of coins, you may lose the game.)

- The necessary ingredient for a good game in NWN2 are:

Core Difficulty (friendly fire and full disables) + AI enhancement (it is a global option on the character control tab) that prebuffs enemy casters (similar to the SCS feature) which makes enemy cleric and mages an actual challenge! + Storms of Zehir type mod.

- NWN1: OC is impossibly boring and not a challenge. SoZ + HotU may be a different story.

I seriously hope that Beamdog will learn the lessons of Storms of Zehir in its development of NWN:EE for updating old campaigns as well as designing new ones.

--

Okay, bonus question to the thread:

Did anyone play the NWN2 mod 'Baldur's Gate Reloaded' (a remake of BG+ToSC)?

Is it stable and playable? Balanced?
    Is it a decent no-reload challenge?

Post edited by Ygramul on
    Flashburnlolien
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Ygramul said:

Okay, bonus question to the thread:

Did anyone play the NWN2 mod 'Baldur's Gate Reloaded' (a remake of BG+ToSC)?

Is it stable and playable? Balanced?
    Is it a decent no-reload challenge?

I played it years ago and it was kind of buggy, but its received several patches since then so its probably okay now. It was balanced just fine though, so if you want to try it no-reload, be my guest.

SoZ is a good candidate for no-reload challenges too, though I never liked the economy management with trade bars.
    YgramulJuliusBorisovlolien
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2018
    Flashburn said:

I played it years ago and it was kind of buggy, but its received several patches since then so its probably okay now. It was balanced just fine though, so if you want to try it no-reload, be my guest.

SoZ is a good candidate for no-reload challenges too, though I never liked the economy management with trade bars.

Thanks. That's good feedback.

As you mention, with Storms of Zehir what I am liking is indeed not the trade stuff, but rather:

1. challenge of resting and death, making no-reload relevant. (I actually lost my game, after all.)

2. skills are actually useful! (Search, Spot, Listen, Appraise, Survival, .... they all have some legitimate use and frequently mentioned in dialogs as well! Also, crafting skills & feats are basically necessary.) NWN1 original campaigns fails this miserably.

Having an overland encounter map is also a plus. Wish other campaigns implemented it.

(Really hoping that some Beamdog guru is paying attention to this.)
    Flashburnlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

One complaint that I have is that I only got 100 gp to equip 5 party members.
    As I have a thief who could open the upstairs chest, it wasn't a major problem, but it would have been if I hadn't had a thief in the party.

Well you can also get 300 from Firebead in addition to the various bits of gold stuck in containers that don't need a thief to open.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov