Skip to content

Elder Scrolls : The dumbing down

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There is some Planescape stuff in the next 5e hardback.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Here's a mod that makes character creation and leveling more like Oblivion: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2725

It has classes and birthsigns, and greater stat diversity based on race and gender choice.
    Here's the non-special edition version:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21587/

If I find more mods that seem appropriate I'll try to post links to both versions if available.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    For Skyrim mods, Realistic Ragdolls and Force is a lot of fun for me, I enjoy cranking it up and sending smaller enemies flying with sword strikes. Immersive patrols helps the world feel more alive and it's cool to see more large Stormcloak vs Imperial battles. Cloaks of Skyrim look great and facemasks fit certain character types. Become High King of Skyrim is also great for certain character types. Ordinator is the most common and well received overhaul and I use it once in a while, but sometimes like the vanilla perks.

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I've only dabbled with Requiem but does anyone here have extensive advice if I should use it or not?
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Requiem is fun, but extreme. For example the gigantic slaughterfish that swim at the speed of light and insta kill you if you dare to even so much as look at the water. It's really something you have to try to see if you have a taste for it in my view.
    Also, no Requiem for Special Edition.
    So there's an old mod for Morrowind I can't remember the name of that was pretty extensive. It apparently had some Battlespire going on, and Daedric Crescents (more than the one you can already get in Morrowind), and was written by a developer. It also apparently had some combat revision?

Does anyone know which mod I'm talking about?
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Here's a mod that makes character creation and leveling more like Oblivion: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2725

It has classes and birthsigns, and greater stat diversity based on race and gender choice.

Thank you very much. But i'm planning to get the new Battletech videogame.
    I don't really expect anyone to start playing Skyrim because I linked a mod. :)

So there's an old mod for Morrowind I can't remember the name of that was pretty extensive. It apparently had some Battlespire going on, and Daedric Crescents (more than the one you can already get in Morrowind), and was written by a developer. It also apparently had some combat revision?

Does anyone know which mod I'm talking about?

Just in case anyone was wondering, the mod is Morrowind Advanced, by Gary "Wormgod Elite" Noonan. I'm not sure it actually has any Battlespire-related content, as that may have been Moon's Spawn.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/30205/
    The new expansion of ESO is going to be set in Summerset, the home of the High Elves. I hope we get more info on the Thalmor.

@BelleSorciere @Vallmyr
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

The new expansion of ESO is going to be set in Summerset, the home of the High Elves. I hope we get more info on the Thalmor.

@BelleSorciere @Vallmyr

At this point it seems like this is very little chance of a sixth entry if the MMO is flourishing.
    I want to try ESO but I'm unsure if I'd like it or not. I do like MMOs and have put like a billion hours into WoW since I played it hardcore from 2008-2014 and then play it every now and then just for the story.

I think an Elder Scrolls MMO sounds fun on paper but Idk if I'd actually like it. My expectations for RPG-ish stuff in MMOs is very low though so I might be satisfied with it.
    Vallmyr said:

I want to try ESO but I'm unsure if I'd like it or not. I do like MMOs and have put like a billion hours into WoW since I played it hardcore from 2008-2014 and then play it every now and then just for the story.

I think an Elder Scrolls MMO sounds fun on paper but Idk if I'd actually like it. My expectations for RPG-ish stuff in MMOs is very low though so I might be satisfied with it.

It's fairly good, and you can do 95% of it completely solo, but it does not really feel like Skyrim or Oblivion. It has the time-honored MMO staple, which is ability cooldowns. It's also a prequel. It's not like I don't recommend it, because there is plenty there to enjoy if you want to, but it isn't Elder Scrolls VI or a real substitute for it.
    I saw it's free on Steam for the weekend and was going to install but its 82GB download is. . . daunting. I'll install it tomorrow when I'm at work and I'll give it a shot.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    No MMORPG's for me. I've heard that MMO's like WoW are horribly addictive, and as a lifelong gamer, I'm honestly concerned that a game like WoW could cause problems in my life.

I'm very averse to addictive stuff. I don't even eat added sugars. If you give up sugar for a while and then try out some sugary cereal, you'll find just how addictive sugar really is.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    MMO's are waaaaaaaay to repetitive for me to really get into one.
    edited March 2018
    Yes they can be addicting. I am honestly glad that I didn't even have a computer or internet access when WoW first came out, or (given where and what I was doing at the time) it would have completely taken over my life. They are repetitive in the leveling process, but quite honestly, that is all most people do. Dungeons are raids are also static encounters, but require coordination and learning abilities of the bosses and group tactics. Max level daily quests are also repetitive. That is why people like them and play them on a daily basis. There is a consistent feeling of progression and accomplishment. The problem is, it never actually ends. But are they MORE repetitive than nearly any isometric ARPG?? No. I have finally moved on from WoW more so than I ever have, but I always say that. I find that games like The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition (and of course, Skyrim) sort of have the same vast world scope of MMOs but do eventually have a definitive ending and don't require relying on other people. ESO is about as single-player friendly as it gets though. But yeah, killing regular mobs in MMOs is totally mindless. It's something to do while you watch Netflix or listen to podcasts or music.

I will say that I don't think MMOs are any MORE addictive than any other type of game, they just seem that way because of the massive time-sink. Any game with a long loot hunt to maximize a character has the same issue.
    edited March 2018
    Vallmyr said:

I saw it's free on Steam for the weekend and was going to install but its 82GB download is. . . daunting. I'll install it tomorrow when I'm at work and I'll give it a shot.

You also are going to want to be sure (at least if you get it off Steam) that you have DOUBLE that space. It isn't going to take up that much room, but when the launcher does it's update (after the initial install) it will again require 82GB to start the update (though again, it isn't actually going to use it). So to install the game you MAY need 170GB free. Yeah, it's massive. Probably the biggest download I've seen.
    I've played a bit of ESO, but I plan to get Summerset and play it more come this June.

I only picked up the game last year and just didn't get into it, mostly because I've been having issues getting into most games lately.

Vallmyr said:

You also are going to want to be sure (at least if you get it off Steam) that you have DOUBLE that space. It isn't going to take up that much room, but when the launcher does it's update (after the initial install) it will again require 82GB to start the update (though again, it isn't actually going to use it). So to install the game you MAY need 170GB free. Yeah, it's massive. Probably the biggest download I've seen.
    Its the bane of PC gaming the big numbers of GB for download.
    edited May 2018
    My predictions for Elder Scrolls VI.

1. Only 5 major cities.

2. 300 NPCs.

3. Only 4 skills: Melee, ranged, stealth and magic.

4. Only 25 spells.

5. Still no mysticism.

6. The freaking dialogue wheel from Fallout 4.

7. one or two pieces of armor for the PC's entire body.

8. Only swords and daggers for stealth characters. Everybody loves swords, why there should be more weapons?

9. You can no longer walk, only run and sprint.

10. Vampirism and lycanthropy without maluses.

11. Only 5 guilds: Main Quest, fighters, thieves and a choice between two factions that give the same quests. You can become the leader every guild in 4 hours without any conflict between the guilds.

12. No more horse because theres fast travel.

13. Simplified Alchemy and Enchanting for dummies.

14. Assassin's creed style geolocation with several markers on the way so you don't get lost.

15. Kids, old people and dogs are immortal. 70% of NPCs are essential and thus immortal too.

16. Cheesy dialogue and plot twists that gives you a false sense of urgency.

17. The Dark Brotherhood will be a focal point in the main quest because everybody loves edgy assassins.

18. Some good old Lore Rape.

@BelleSorciere
    @Vallmyr
    Ughhhhh I really hope not <_< >_>

I just hope they rethink what they are doing and add stuff rather than removing stuff. Also make speechcraft fun again.
    edited May 2018
    I predict we won't see it in this decade, maybe not even get confirmation of it. They have just used the Summerset Isles as the new expansion for the MMO, basically eliminating one of the top 3 contenders for the location. A year from now, they'll use another one. As long as ESO remains a cash-cow, I have to wonder if we'll even see a proper sixth game at all. It clearly isn't an issue of the game being profitable, Elder Scrolls VI would be the biggest release of ANY year. Bethesda and Zenimax clearly view a new single-player game as a dent in the constant cash stream from the MMOs microtransactions.

Meanwhile, Skyrim is so beloved and monolithic that they've found they can just repackage it in perpetuity, which costs nothing compared to developing a new game.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the wheel is not coming back. todd said he regrets what he did with dialogue in fallout 4 so it may go back to the old way.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    I picked up Skyrim on the PS4 to play it on my Vita via remote play.

It's easily my least favorite Elder Scrolls game (why yes I have a boxed copy of Redguard...) but it's easy enough to pick up and play to kill some time.

I discovered that the long fixed Alduin's Bane glitch is fully and happily present in the PS4 version if you play on the Vita. Discovered that is, only after spending an evening endlessly reloading, fast traveling and waiting in hopes that would fix the bug.

:s

I picked up Skyrim on the PS4 to play it on my Vita via remote play.

It's easily my least favorite Elder Scrolls game (why yes I have a boxed copy of Redguard...) but it's easy enough to pick up and play to kill some time.

I discovered that the long fixed Alduin's Bane glitch is fully and happily present in the PS4 version if you play on the Vita. Discovered that is, only after spending an evening endlessly reloading, fast traveling and waiting in hopes that would fix the bug.

:s

Skyrim is probably the most overrated videogame ever (yes, even more than Final Fantasy 7). And that's a sign of a large problem with AAA western videogames in general. Western videogames used to be played by nerds and neckbeards, and the quirky and idiosyncratic aspects of those games had to be effaced and streamlined in order to appeal to a much larger and younger audience, even if it's unavoidable that the idiosyncratic aspects still remains the source of the games' appeal.

By contrast japanese console videogame series like Super Mario and Final Fantasy were pasteurized by the talented creators of Nintendo and Square so throughly that they became the apotheosis of their own iconic potential long before they set foot on the more modern and mainstream consoles.

But western videogames, RPGs especially, are a more fragile proposition. There are reasons why the streamlining of gameplay mechanics and writing of certain RPG series has been off-putting for the long time fans.

I predict we won't see it in this decade, maybe not even get confirmation of it. They have just used the Summerset Isles as the new expansion for the MMO, basically eliminating one of the top 3 contenders for the location. A year from now, they'll use another one. As long as ESO remains a cash-cow, I have to wonder if we'll even see a proper sixth game at all. It clearly isn't an issue of the game being profitable, Elder Scrolls VI would be the biggest release of ANY year. Bethesda and Zenimax clearly view a new single-player game as a dent in the constant cash stream from the MMOs microtransactions.

Meanwhile, Skyrim is so beloved and monolithic that they've found they can just repackage it in perpetuity, which costs nothing compared to developing a new game.

They've already said they're doing two games before they go back to Elder Scrolls and Fallout, so definitely next decade.

I don't think any ESO expansions will determine where the next game is set, however.
This discussion has been closed.