Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @mashedtaters: The symbolic name is just for scripts, I think. Other than that, it's just a clue about where a spell is used. You don't need to edit symbolic names, I don't think (I don't even know how).

For a spell that shows up in both priest and wizard spellbooks, is there a specific difference to be considered when assigning those to an innate ability other than its location and type?

I can't think of any mage spells that are truly identical to priest spells; even those with the same name have different effects and durations and stuff. But if you want to make a priest or mage spell into an innate, all you have to do is set its type to innate and make sure its location is innate abilities instead of spells.

Unless you're working with IWD2, where you also have to add an entry to the LISTINNT.2da table to make sure the innate spell actually shows up in your innate abilities list.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508

lroumen said:

you will get diarrhoea at some point and avoid spending too many days in Kathmandu.

Is that one prediction and one recommendation, or two predictions? ;)

If it's the latter, you should totally write horoscopes for a living.
    both predictions :)
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2018
    lroumen said:

lroumen said:

you will get diarrhoea at some point and avoid spending too many days in Kathmandu.

Having lived there for six years, I learned enough to avoid getting it. Only eat cooked food or fruit that can be peeled, is a good starting point. Having yoghurt instead of milk on your muesli is also a good idea. Dal bhat tends to be safe.

I disagree about the length of trek. I would much rather walk the bit extra to get to Annapurna Base Camp or at least Machchapuchare base camp rather than stopping at Ghandruk. It is now possible to take a taxi almost to Ghandruk. Well worth it if you are short of time. The first time I did the Annapurna sanctuary trek I had to walk from the edge of Pokhara as there were no roads. It was a long day's trek from Pokhara to Dhampus! Very long!

The new roads are both good and bad. The local people want them to transport their produce to market, get supplies, go to the hospital etc, but the road along the Kali Gandaki does spoil the Annapurna Circuit. :(

Always carry your plastic water bottles down to where you can recycle them. Sadly not everyone does with the result that the waste will be a major problem unless it is tackled.

We had a funny occurrence when we got to Machchapuchare base camp. We needed the loo during the night, but when we went to the bucket to flush the loo, the water in the bucket was frozen solid. Not surprising since the temperature was -25. :D

Note: At high altitudes hand washing gear is essential!!!
    edited April 2018

lroumen said:

lroumen said:

I disagree about the length of trek. I would much rather walk the bit extra to get to Annapurna Base Camp or at least Machchapuchare base camp rather than stopping at Ghandruk. It is now possible to take a taxi almost to Ghandruk. Well worth it if you are short of time.
    Oh that is a nice improvement! Maybe I'll go visit again soon if I can skip a large portion of the walk and get to the higher bits.

In the tour group I took only two out of 25 people did not end up with stool issues, me being one of them. My wife got it from brushing her teeth with water that had not touched the boil well enough...
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2018
    lroumen said:

lroumen said:

lroumen said:

In the tour group I took only two out of 25 people did not end up with stool issues, me being one of them. My wife got it from brushing her teeth with water that had not touched the boil well enough...
    Bottled water is readilly available. I used it for brushing my teeth. However bottles are not allowed above a certain altitude due to people just discarding bottles rather than carrying them down again. :(

At least they have started recycling them nowadays. :)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

The average human being has about 400,000 waking hours in their lifespan. This means you could spend 100,000 hours playing Baldur's Gate and still have 75% of your life to spare!

Given my admission to the high number of hours I spend doing so, that's probably for the best. Hmm, let's see now, that makes 1% in the past year and a half... lawd. Ah, heck with it, time to up that percentage some more. B)
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    I'm not sure about the IE implementation, but in the PnP version, spells tend to either require you to hit the target and don't have a save, or automatically hit the target but require a save. One or the other. Melf's Acid Arrow is one of those spells that requires you to hit the target.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2018
    Thels said:

I'm not sure about the IE implementation, but in the PnP version, spells tend to either require you to hit the target and don't have a save, or automatically hit the target but require a save. One or the other. Melf's Acid Arrow is one of those spells that requires you to hit the target.

In the game, it both hits automatically ("speeds unerringly to its target" according to the in-game description), as well as allows NO Save. That's why it's so nice. ;)

In the spell's description, it is erroneously stated that the Saving Throw vs. this spell is "Special", but in fact, it offers no save at all.

Spell description from the Manual:

Spell file seen in NearInfinity:

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2018

Thels said:

In the game, it both hits automatically ("speeds unerringly to its target" according to the in-game description), as well as allows NO Save. That's why it's so nice. ;)

In the spell's description, it is erroneously stated that the Saving Throw vs. this spell is "Special", but in fact, it offers no save at all.

Spell description from the Manual:

Spell file seen in NearInfinity:

Ssh! Pas devant les domestiques, I mean , Beamdog, just one day before the final patch ships! Don't ruin a good thing! ;)
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Reverend Brother Poquelin sounds a lot like Mr. Burns.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The summons are fantastic early game in BG1. I had dancing win all of my fights until the bandit camp. Even after that point, the fact that they are essentially limitless makes pretty great for slowing down dangerous opponents.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    toolarg said:

Reverend Brother Poquelin sounds a lot like Mr. Burns.

Did you know... It's Revered Brother Poquelin, not Reverend?
    Because I've seen that error come up several times on the internet.
    It used to be the most common name. Still top 10 I believe.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

A rather vital ditty in the collected works of Kurt Vonnegut, in fact. It shows up in Slaughterhouse 5 and several other books.

Odd fact: a former coworker currently lives in Kurt Vonnegut's childhood home.