Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited May 2018
    I have got COS 20 with Tome and Buckley's Buckler therefore I regenerate but there is not regeneration portrait icon. Should it be there?
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    rede9 said:

I have got COS 20 with Tome and Buckley's Buckler therefore I regenerate but there is not regeneration portrait icon. Should it be there?

I have never seen the icon in BGEE for constitution-based regenerating. It is innate and not an effect, like from a potion.
    edited May 2018
    Aerakar said:

rede9 said:

I have never seen the icon in BGEE for constitution-based regenerating. It is innate and not an effect, like from a potion.
    I open a ticket as feature request then.
    Have Magic Leather Armors got any advantages? They don't let cast mage spell and Studded Leather Armor let thief skills as well.
    Are they just the lightest armors?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @rede9: Yup. Weight is their only real benefit. They even suffer the disadvantage of having worse damage-specific AC bonuses. Studded leather has a -1 and -2 bonus against piercing and missile weapons; leather armor has a +2 penalty to both. Enchanted non-studded leather is generally best suited as gold fodder unless your thief has really low Strength.

Things are different in IWD2, where heavier armors impose limits on DEX bonuses to AC, and in Item Revisions, where heavy armors grant damage resistance at the cost of sometimes worse AC.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I thought studded also had some AC penalty to one damage type that made leather better than studded for only that type. Blunt? I have to look it up in the original rule book of I can find it...
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Don’t studded leathers have a penalty for some of the thief skills, or is that for later editions?
    Only mods like Item Revisions and later editions like those of IWD2 have penalties for thief skills.

Studded leather has no AC penalties; only bonuses to piercing and missile.

The only armor type with penalties for crushing damage is chainmail, which has a +2 penalty by default.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Why cant Blades use their offensive and defensive spins while under the effects of Tensers Transformation? The spins are a combat style they train at, not a spell, right?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Why cant Blades use their offensive and defensive spins while under the effects of Tensers Transformation? The spins are a combat style they train at, not a spell, right?

Engine limitations?
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    In the latest Baldur's Gate II beta (version 2.5.16.4) the devs have fixed Tenser's Transformation disabling non-magical innate abilities.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    About hidden armour bonuses

The chart doesn't include missile weapons, but the values are all the same as for piercing weapons; you can switch out "piercing" for "missile" and the values remain true.
    edited May 2018
    Does a Thief/Mage get 5 slot long sword even with offhand casting Black Blade of Disaster (in order to give him
    Blackrazor for example)?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    rede9 said:

Does a Thief/Mage get 5 slot long sword even with offhand casting Black Blade of Disaster (in order to give him Blackrazor for example)?

Proficiency always applied to both hands.
    However, the effect granting it only works properly for those without the proficiency.
    If you are already proficient(or more) in Long Swords, it will not give you Grandmastery, even if that proficiency is in an inactive dual-class.

I don't think there is any ideal fix atm, as granting temporary proficiency can cause potential problems no matter how you do it.
    kjeron said:

rede9 said:

Does a Thief/Mage get 5 slot long sword even with offhand casting Black Blade of Disaster (in order to give him Blackrazor for example)?

Proficiency always applied to both hands.
    However, the effect granting it only works properly for those without the proficiency.
    If you are already proficient(or more) in Long Swords, it will not give you Grandmastery, even if that proficiency is in an inactive dual-class.

I don't think there is any ideal fix atm, as granting temporary proficiency can cause potential problems no matter how you do it.
    Maybe you didn't understand. Black Blade of Disaster (lv. 9 mage spell) is wielded like Grandmastery according to description; does it meas can I give to the mage a second long sword without any natural proficiency?

By the way: Garrick is on level 8 but he has 55 pick pocket. Shouldn't it be 75?
    edited May 2018
    rede9 said:

Garrick is on level 8 but he has 55 pick pocket. Shouldn't it be 75?

Elven Mail. Of course.
    Why Darts haven't got Strenght bonus like sling and throwing daggers/axes? Would it spoil the balance with 3 APR
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    rede9 said:

Why Darts haven't got Strenght bonus like sling and throwing daggers/axes? Would it spoil the balance with 3 APR

I don't actually know the reason, but I have a guess. AFAIK, darts in D&D are based on the Roman plumbata. These were thrown like lawn darts, in high arcs so they came down on the enemy instead of being thrown like darts at the bar. If that's so, then strength really wouldn't come into it.
    But throwing daggers used to not have strength added also, and way back when only a few slings added strength damage.

As I understand, in P&P darts do add strength bonuses, but if they did in BG 1-2 think of the damage a fighter could pump out with 3 APR. Since they nerfed the elemental arrows in BG2 for balance, I bet balance is why.
  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    How does auto-attack work?

I have the party AI disabled most of the time, but I noticed that often party members with ranged weapons automatically change target after the designated target was killed. However, this doesn't happen consistently for all.

Are they firing back when fired upon?
    I wish auto attack could be toggled between missile and melee weapons for each character, with different options for both possible at the same time.

For example, with back-stabbing thieves I do not like to use auto attack for melee weapons, but with their missile weapons I still do, as otherwise I find them standing around after their missile target dies. This is annoying.
  • xxxMAULxxxxxxMAULxxx Member Posts: 1
    Are there any other D&D games you will be enhancing? Like Temple of elemental evil, Pools of Radiance , or Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter nights 2?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    lroumen said:

About hidden armour bonuses

Ah, the original BG1 handbook... :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Question: What is this "BWS" I keep seeing posters mention?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Question: What is this "BWS" I keep seeing posters mention?

Big World Setup (its a mod)
    rede9 said:

Again. With no long sword proficiency, do I get 5 slot with off hand casting Black Blade of Disaster?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    Yes, as you don't have any proficiency in Long Swords, you get Grandmastery with that Spell, and it applies to both hands.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    rede9 said:

rede9 said:

Again. With no long sword proficiency, do I get 5 slot with off hand casting Black Blade of Disaster?

Yes, as you don't have any proficiency in Long Swords, you get Grandmastery with that Spell, and it applies to both hands.

But you don't get proficiency in two-weapon style so unless you invested a proficiency point in that, I assume you'll get a hefty penalty to your To-hit.