Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

ThacoBell said:

@Dev6 SOME humans are. Dolphins in general are more kill happy than just about any other creature.

This is why we were putting them in tuna cans in the 80's.
    Humans? :)
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @FinneousPJ I think just the simple fact that we can debate morality and existence puts us above animals.

Balrog99
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Yet we are animals, just thinking ones.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    ThacoBell said:

@FinneousPJ I think just the simple fact that we can debate morality and existence puts us above animals.

Hmm, do you then think a person who is unable to debate such things is less than human?

ThacoBell said:

Hmm, do you then think a person who is unable to debate such things is less than human?
    There's any number of things that I think elevates us, but the capacity for this among average humans is a big indicator.

@Son_of_Imoen Nah
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    ThacoBell said:
    We are, biologically we're fair and square in the animal kingdom: Humans are classified as animals. The human's phylum is Chordata (vertebrate). The human's class is mammalia. It's order is primate (the same as apes). It's family is Hominidae (apes that have no tail and can gather food with their hands.) The Human's sub-family is Homininae. It's tribe is Hominini. It's genus is Homo and it's specie is scientifically named Homo Sapiens.
    FinneousPJDev6semiticgoddessRaduziel
    @Son_of_Imoen I'm aware of that. Our differences aren't biological though. They are philosophical. When animals start developing philosophy, come back to me.
    Balrog99
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @mlnevese Sorry about that. Critters can most definitely hit us hard, and for me, even harder than people sometimes. We still miss ours that passed away 2 years ago and have not been ready for another yet even now. At least we have stories that keep their memory alive.
    mlneveseJuliusBorisov
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @mlnevese Man that sucks. We lost Beauregard in February, nearly 11 years after we brought him home from the shelter; I know the ache
    mlneveseZaghoulJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    This is a minor issue all things considered, but I'm still upset. I just tore my favorite pair of brand-new shorts... while staggering away in horror when I realized that the cockroach I saw on the way out of the bathroom was not in fact dead. I saw it turn to pieces as I picked it up with a wad of toilet paper, and I had to go back with another wad to pick up the scraps. Not okay.

They're by far my least favorite insect, and just barely my least favorite animal in general, right behind alligators and crocodiles. I don't know why roaches bother me so much, but they do. I completely emptied the last of the bug spray drizzling the corners of my room with poison--I sprayed so much it actually hurt my fingers to hold the button for so long. If any bugs dare to cross those toxic lines on the wood and the carpet, at least they'll die of poisoning before I run into them... and I'll know to spray first and run away for a couple minutes to make sure I don't see any wriggling legs when I have to pick it up.

On the bright side, at least I know it died in pain.
    ThacoBell
    While I can't help with the shorts, it might make you feel a little better to know that cockroaches are some of the cleanest animals in nature. They have a special coating that makes it impossible for bacteria to stick to them.
    semiticgoddessBalrog99RaduzielAdul
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    First (actually, Third) World Problems, I know. But I'm pissed off.

Steam allows my region (Brazil) to buy Dragon Age: Origins and DAO Awakening.

But Steam won't allow my region to buy Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate (the pack with all DLCs).

A friend of mine in Canada can buy it. Another one from the USA, too. Another one from Ireland, too.

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a company that apparently doesn't like money!

semiticgoddessThacoBellBalrog99
    Thanks for the encouragement. This thread is amazing, and it definitly helps keep me sane. I don't get much encouragement irl.
    @mlnverse My favorite one is "Just push through". Push through to what? This is a lifelong chronic disease, there is no other side. That situation with your wife's stroke sounds absolutely terrifying. I'm glad it worked out in the end.
    FinneousPJmlneveseZaghoulRaduziel
    edited June 2018
    @ThacoBell The next time someone comes with something stupid like that just kindly suggest that they jump off a cliff and use their positive thinking to learn how to fly...

You weren't around when my wife had a stroke... in the first three days she had no movement below her neck and had irregular heartbeat and breathing... and I had to accompany everything through emails from the Embassy I received everyday. I'm thankful to everyone at the Embassy to this day and the doctors in Chile who saved her.
    ThacoBellBalrog99ZaghoulRaduziel
    edited June 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@mlnevese All things considered, that was pretty darn lucky. The stroke just happened to kill the part of the brain that was causing the panic attacks and hallucinations? Man.

I have no idea... I remember a neurologist explained to me her brain developed a neural bypass around the affected zone and that's why she recovered movement, etc. I'm not even sure she realizes they are gone but It's been nearly 5 years without any episode.
    ThacoBellZaghoulRaduziel
    Our brains are WEIRD.
    mlneveseBalrog99ZaghoulRaduziel
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I can say with a high degree of certainty that it is often hard to distinguish weird from reality, but it seems we (i.e. me ;) ) can be of interest to another's study of self. B)
    One day in the late 19th century, the Austrian physicist and philosopher Ernst Mach gets on a bus. As he stares down the aisle, he sees a person at the other end, a character he dismisses as a ‘shabby pedagogue’. In the next instant, Mach realizes the shabby pedagogue is none other than himself, staring out from a mirror positioned at the back of the bus.

Yeah, those experiences are a real shocker, I'm here to say.

For a few moments, Mach had become a stranger to himself. Psychologists estimate that around three-quarters of us will experience similar symptoms of self-detachment at some point in our lives. If you’ve been through trauma, or narrowly escaped a nasty accident, you might recall how a sense of unreality can wash over you, how you suddenly disconnect from yourself, or feel as if you’re floating in the air and watching from above. These states of mind seem to function as an experiential airbag, allowing us to deal with life-threatening dangers which would otherwise be overwhelming.

Luckily, with care and patience, the airbag can usually be wrapped up after the traumatic event, and we find ourselves back in our bodies and our lives. But in some unlucky cases, the protective mechanism gets ‘stuck’. People can be trapped outside themselves, unable to inhabit their own experiences, feelings and thoughts – like Mach, if he were unable to reconnect to himself after spying the shabby pedagogue in the mirror.

Some of us definitely get stuck. I guess one could say the illusion was literally burned into neural pathways with a combination of physical damage, high doses of drugs, and pain beyond the scope of those drugs to mitigate. Neural pathways it seems can develop ways around the sense of self and reality as well.

When the self slips:
    Individuals living with depersonalisation disorder bring vivid insight to the question of whether the self is an illusion

mlneveseThacoBellStummvonBordwehrtbone1
    @Zaghoul Quite an interesting reading. Thank you.
    ThacoBellZaghoul
    Holy crap.
    mlnevese
    @mlnevese Look at the bright side: your wife is basically a non-deformed version of Deadpool.

Cool!
    mlnevese
    @fluke13 Honor her memory with the best marriage ever.
    mlneveseThacoBellfluke13tbone1