Skip to content

The lesser known historical facts thread

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    This post from a WWII museum in New Orleans says the most common question they're asked is what the D in D-Day stands for. There have been various competing theories, but a likely answer is that it stands for Day. While Day-Day sounds a bit odd, common army terminology for a major operation used timings in relation to the expected date - so D-1 for instance would be one day before the operation.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I always thought it stood for disembark(ation)
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    JoenSo said:

16th century artillery master Franz Helm wrote about how to use gunpowder and fire in warfare. He describes a method for setting fire to a city you can't approach. Now strapping burning things to the backs of cats sounds like a terribly bad idea to me, but at least it gave us this illustration of a cat with a jetpack. You go, rocket cat.

I've seen that in a lecture before. One of the key things, was that the cats had to be from the city you were sieging, so that when they got freaked out by having a flaming bomb on their back, they'd run back into the city.
    Dev6 said:

JoenSo said:

16th century artillery master Franz Helm wrote about how to use gunpowder and fire in warfare. He describes a method for setting fire to a city you can't approach. Now strapping burning things to the backs of cats sounds like a terribly bad idea to me, but at least it gave us this illustration of a cat with a jetpack. You go, rocket cat.

I've seen that in a lecture before. One of the key things, was that the cats had to be from the city you were sieging, so that when they got freaked out by having a flaming bomb on their back, they'd run back into the city.
    I wanna strap a flaming bomb to the back of whoever came up with this idea.

"But Dev6, surely they must be dead by now!"
    You're correct, hypothetical person! I would go back in time and strap a flaming bomb to the back of whoever came up with this idea. Punch baby Hitler in the face? Nope, kill bomb-cat guy. Screw him.

*goes pet ALL the cats in the world*
    Wow, you would have hated living in 18th century France, where burning cats was entertainment
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning
    Dev6 said:

Dev6 said:

JoenSo said:

You're correct, hypothetical person! I would go back in time and strap a flaming bomb to the back of whoever came up with this idea. Punch baby Hitler in the face? Nope, kill bomb-cat guy. Screw him.

Wow, you would have hated living in 18th century France, where burning cats was entertainment
    Pft, silly French peasants burning cats. Here in Portugal we were too busy burning witches.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Inquisition
    It was kind of viewed as the same thing. Cats were thought of as symbols of the Devil.

Did you know that witch burning was rare in the medieval world, and most of it took place during the Renaissance/Early modern period?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Dev6 said:

Dev6 said:

JoenSo said:

Pft, silly French peasants burning cats. Here in Portugal we were too busy burning witches.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Inquisition
    It was kind of viewed as the same thing. Cats were thought of as symbols of the Devil.

Did you know that witch burning was rare in the medieval world, and most of it took place during the Renaissance/Early modern period?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt
    I actually wasn't aware of that. I got some reading up to do.
    Did you know that Alcibiades was charged with defacing the Herms/Hermai in Athens?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcibiades#Sicilian_Expedition

A Herm/Hermai was basically a stone block or pillar that only had the head of Hermes and a Phallus on it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Sally Hemings, the slave with whom Thomas Jefferson had a yearslong affair, may not be a "lesser known historical fact" for much longer. The museum at Monticello itself is opening an exhibit about Hemings and her relationship with Jefferson.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    The more I learn, the more I think Jefferson was a real piece of work. So let me get this straight, he shacked up with his dead wife's sister when she was 16 and "Didn't think they could handle their freedom", even during his presidency. Gimmi a break. I'm not sure which I think less of now, him or 'Backstab the Cherokee' Jackson.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its almost like the founding fathers' negative points are intentionally downplayed in state run schools ;)
    Zaghoul said:

The more I learn, the more I think Jefferson was a real piece of work. So let me get this straight, he shacked up with his dead wife's sister when she was 16 and "Didn't think they could handle their freedom", even during his presidency. Gimmi a break. I'm not sure which I think less of now, him or 'Backstab the Cherokee' Jackson.

Looking at people in the context of their times is one of the biggest challenges of dealing with history. The idea that you could even run a society without slaves is only a few centuries old. France may have abolished it in the 14th century, but they still practiced it abroad. Let's face it, feudalism was just slavery with extra steps. The first time I tried to read Plato as a kid, I stopped when I got to the part where he said it was every free man's right to own slaves. I am absolutely not trying to justify slavery, it was a horrible institution. But, these people genuinely believed society was better for the institution and just didn't see the alternatives or didn't see them as being viable. With hindsight it's very easy to judge.

The Romans only encountered a single Germanic tribe that didn't practice slavery, and they thought it was so strange that they noted it. I wish I had a reference for this, I'm pretty sure it was in one of the lectures by Professor Kenneth Harl I have. The point is, slavery was pretty much universal until fairly recently.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Gallenger said:

He died in 1915, of natural causes, so he wasn't able to stand in a street corner in St. Petersburg shouting "I told you so" but I like to imagine he did anyways.

Just as well, probably wouldn't have had a very good chance of making it out alive anywys.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited June 2018
    He was in fact the last interior minister to die of natural causes as well, so maybe his body went ahead and skipped out.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited June 2018

Who started World War I? There are a number of people who helped contribute to the war, but no one ever claimed responsibility for the war happening.

Well, except for the German official Helmuth von Moltke the Younger, who viewed war with Russia as inevitable and believed that the outcome would determine whether Russia or Germany would determine who would be the dominant power in European long into the future. He encouraged the outbreak of war in an attempt to get the war to happen on Germany's terms and increase the chance of a German victory.

In Europe’s Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914?, David Fromkin (page 305) names Moltke as the man who deliberately started the war. After Moltke was demoted, he wrote to a friend complaining about the demotion and claiming responsibility for the war: “It is dreadful to be condemned to inactivity in this war… this war which I prepared and initiated.” (emphasis mine and Fromkin's)

The Kaiser's obsession with fleet building played a large role as well. Antagonizing Great Britain, a historical ally of Prussia in the past, was a major blunder. The war would not have lasted nearly as long if the Brits hadn't gotten involved (it's very unlikely the US would have intervened without Britain either). I'm not sure how things would have played out in the long run though. Germany was very focused on becoming a colonial power. It's likely that WW2 would not have happened, but the colonial period may have lasted a lot longer as a result. It's nearly impossible to gauge what the world would have been like now if the World Wars hadn't turned out the way they did...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    During a visit to London, I learned that Britain's Imperial Indian Crown is so extravagant and heavy that it has only been worn once since it was created 117 years ago. King George revealed the reason in a journal entry for the only day he ever wore it:

Rather tired after the wearing the Crown for 3 and a half hours, it hurt my head, as it is pretty heavy.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited June 2018
    So another war of 1812 tidbit.

One of the reasons, and the main reason IMO as the Americans had the Canadian forces out numbered substantially at the beginning of the war is that back then, that resulted in this war being a stalemate, the soldiers of an actual regiment voted if they were asked to invade foreign soil.

So when it was time to cross the border, each commanding officer (who was also elected to the position by those he led) would take a vote if they’d cross or not and majority would win.

This played a crucial part when the American’s attempted to take Queenstown by Niagara. The American’s heavily outnumber the Canadians and British soldiers on the other but After the first few boats made it to the shore on the other side were met with heavy resistance, the boats that were still in the water turned back around to the other side and soldiers refused to crossed.
    Post edited by deltago on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Or perhaps it was an opportunity to save face knowing it wouldn't make a difference.

...What do you mean cynical?
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

Or perhaps it was an opportunity to save face knowing it wouldn't make a difference.

...What do you mean cynical?

Cynical or not, I do not really understand what you are saying. What is he trying to save face about, and who is the audience for which he wants to preserve face?