Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    You can already begin BG2:EE with the NPCs that you completed BG:EE.

1. Copy your final save folder from BG:EE to the the folder for the BG2:EE saves.

2. Open the copied save in EE Keeper with the settings to edit BG2:EE saves.

3. In the menu select Tools -> Convert to CHR... and export CHARNAME.

4. Repeat for the rest of the NPCs in the party.

5. Start a multiplayer game in BG2:EE.

6. On the JOIN GAME screen select CREATE GAME, then NEW GAME.

7. On the Character Arbitration screen select Create Character for the first character slot.

8. On the Character Generation screen scroll to CHARNAME, then select PLAY next to CHARNAME.

9. On the Character Arbitration screen select the check mark next to the CHARNAME in the character slot.

10. Repeat for the other exported party members.

11. Select DONE on the Character Arbitration screen.

12. After the BG2:EE beginning cutscene a "new" Imoen releases you as normal.

13. If you imported a full party you'll have to remove a party member because the "new" Imoen tries to join your party.

14. If you wish you can save your game ASAP so you can copy this save from the multiplayer save folder to the single player save folder.

15. 3 of the other imported characters will be plainly visible in the cages southwest of CHARNAME's starting location and any additional characters will be plainly visible in the room northwest of the main starting room.

16. If you boot the "new" Imoen she will be at the exit of the dungeon to confront Irenicus and be taken into the custody of the Cowled Wizards as usual.

I played no farther than this point in my own one short test. I have no idea what possible side affects there are or if it's even possible to finish while attempting to complete a game in this fashion nor do I have any desire to do so.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    swit said:

I don't really see anything wrong if those NPC who we never hear about in BG2 simply left your party somewhere down the road of SoD storyline loathing your heritage/minding their own business, or even getting killed during end-game ambush cutscene (if that's how SoD ends). That's like the most reasonable explanations why they are not in BG2, even if you had them in the end game BG1 party. Either way let the writers do whatever they wish. There will be time to judge the story after the expansion is released.

all start minding their own business at the same time?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2015
    bob_veng said:

I'm unsure that inertia is such a big deal like you state. Either you're playing it right (exploring) or you aren't.

The whole reason this is even a talking point is because some players want to play BG2 with the same party they had in BG1, right at the start of Chateau Irenicus, as a canonical setup (because mods are apparently "not good enough" or whatever). That's inertia right there, and it's got nothing to do with exploration - if you feel strongly enough about Alora that you want to keep her throughout BG2, you're not going to then turn around and drop her for Mazzy or Nalia.
    bob_veng said:

In fact the game will probably feel better because there won't be that sense of discontinuity (that even SoD can't remove...i mean it's impossible - so many BG1 npcs make their way to Amn but only your party is nowhere to be seen or even heard of).

Says who? Out of 29 NPCs in BG:EE, eight are playable and another ten appear in some capacity in BG2. The ones who don't come back at all are in the minority, and unless you're deliberately picking characters you already know won't recur, your party in BG2 is going to be some combination of new and familiar faces, and occasional encounters with old friends going about their own business. That's a design decision, not discontinuity.

I mean, who plays "Mask of the Betrayer" wishing they had Khelgar instead of Okku, or Casavir instead of Kaelyn?
    bob_veng said:

On the other hand, for more experienced players there would be many befefits (also continuity, if only just for story's sake but also more freedom in choosing your party etc.)

Except, again, if you feel strongly enough towards a BG1 NPC that you want them in BG2, you're not going to then replace them with someone new. So what you're asking for actually constrains player freedom, because the game can no longer force you to go out and find new characters like Keldorn or Mazzy if you already have a full BG1 party.
    bob_veng said:

all start minding their own business at the same time?

Because nothing happens at the end of BG1 that would constitute, say, the end of a quest?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    ok i've thought about it and i've been swayed by the inertia reasoning. no one should be added to the chateau.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Now back to a more important discussion, what is happening to our beloved Alora!?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Edvin said:

People dying in the war, deal with it.

Indeed, but ending 9 stories with death means lack of ideas. Deal with it.
    There are definitely better ways to handle their epilogues. They can leave CHARNAME for X, Y, Z reasons - for instance, I can see Branwen coming back home to face her people or Xan traveling to Evereska to get another task as Greycloak.
    edited August 2015
    SionIV said:

Now back to a more important discussion, what is happening to our beloved Alora!?

See, I would love for Alora to be in SoD (especially if Imoen's not available, not sure how my Amazon Squad will manage without a thief) but at the same time, she's one of those NPCs who's more likely to be loyal to her own cause than yours. She'd rather be breaking into Waterdeep museums and stealing all their shinies than fight a crusade with you.
    Aedan said:

There are definitely better ways to handle their epilogues. They can leave CHARNAME for X, Y, Z reasons - for instance, I can see Branwen coming back home to face her people or Xan traveling to Evereska to get another task as Greycloak.

Why do they need to be in SoD for that, though? I mean, the way it's been described, it sounds like you import your party after defeating Sarevok; you get the mission from the Dukes to go to Dragonspear; then Xan says "Listen, it's been adequate [it's Xan, after all] but I need to report back to Evereska, they should know the Iron Throne has been defeated". And he leaves the party. It doesn't need to be a ToB-style epilogue.
    edited August 2015
    shawne said:

SionIV said:

See, I would love for Alora to be in SoD (especially if Imoen's not available, not sure how my Amazon Squad will manage without a thief) but at the same time, she's one of those NPCs who's more likely to be loyal to her own cause than yours. She'd rather be breaking into Waterdeep museums and stealing all their shinies than fight a crusade with you.

This is why you find her in a prison in SoD, she tried to steal something valuable and you have the choice to break her out. It'll be perfect and would fit her personality! They can even throw in some horrific torture done to her like SPP (Short People Punting), but this won't break her personality, she won't be another Imoen. Happy Alora will stay happy!

Beamdog, don't force me to make a ridiculous and fancy petition to get Amber Hood and save Alora. :smiley:
    Dude, what? Why would you want Alora to be horrifically tortured? That's just... no.
    edited August 2015
    shawne said:

Dude, what? Why would you want Alora to be horrifically tortured? That's just... no.

It was a joke, hence the mentioning of short people punting. But many NPCs ended up suffering in BG2 and losing things very close to them, it changed Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira and more. Even if they put Alora through one of those cycles in SoD, it still won't kill her happiness, because she is THAT awesome.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Aedan said:

Edvin said:

Indeed, but ending 9 stories with death means lack of ideas. Deal with it.
    Well, kill them all would be bad, but not to kill anyone would be even worse.
    Someone must die, and Khalid with Dynaheir just is not enough.

I need more, MORE. Blood for bloody throne!
    Give me at least three additional victims!

P.S.
    Nobody likes Eldoth and Skie.
    Perfect scapegoats.
    See, that's actually something I'd advise Beamdog to avoid. The absolute last thing they need at this point is to put BG1 characters through the same process as in BG2, because it's going to come off as derivative and unoriginal. There's probably a reason Chris Avellone singled out M'Khiin in that interview: if SoD is going to succeed, it'll be on the strength of innovation, not repetition.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Edvin said:

Aedan said:

Forcing many NPCs to die in Siege of Dragonspear just to end their stories would be very bad - at my eyes, it would mean lack of good ideas.

I will be very disappointed, if don't kill at least five well known characters.
    Great conflict means big losses.

Alora, Branwen, Share Teel, Skie Silvershield, Eldoth, Kagain, Kivan, Xan, Yeslick Orothair (+Dynaheir and Khalid).
    We have 11 potential corpses :smiley:

My favorites are Edwin, Minsc and Viconia and these are safe, so I'm fine. :blush:
    Heck no. Write your own stories where beloved characters get callously hacked off

billbisco said:

Heck no. Write your own stories where beloved characters get callously hacked off

Absolutely so. On a similar note, write your own stories where beloved characters come back. Everybody wins.
    bengoshi said:

Thank gods George R. R. Martin wasn't hired for SoD writing ;)

On the contrary, we need an equivalent of the red wedding.
    Some people deserve to die, so let's start killing.
    :wink:

Murder! Death! KILL!!! Muwahahaha-ha-ha!!
    edited August 2015
    @shawne
    I think you misunderstood my post - I did not mean that they need a ToB-style epilogue; I meant that their stories can end in different ways (like the ones I wrote) without forcing all of them to die.
    Aedan said:

@shawne
    I think you misunderstood my post - I did not mean that they need a ToB-style epilogue; I meant that their stories can end in different ways (like the ones I wrote) without forcing all of them to die.

But this is exactly what @Dee was talking about: what are you basing that assumption on? Who said they're all going to die? Who said those scenarios are going to be forced? You're all snapping at imaginary slights without any hard evidence to back it up - wait until we know more before jumping to conclusions.
    Sorry, but why are you twisting my words?
    Aedan said:

Forcing many NPCs to die in Siege of Dragonspear just to end their stories would be very bad - at my eyes, it would mean lack of good ideas.
    I am confident, however, that they did not end up with something like that. Avellone praised their work; I do not think that he would have left such positive feedback if SoD featured random deaths alà Shonda Rhimes just to get rid of characters.

I did not jump to any conclusion, I did not assume anything, I did not write that they are all going to die. I wrote that it would be very bad if it ended in this way, but I am confident it will not. Period.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited August 2015
    Carry on, people, really.

We've heard several points of view on whether all NPCs should be available through the whole SoD expansion, on whether addition NPCs should be added to the starting BG2 dungeon and whether those NPCs who don't have a cameo in BG2 should die in SoD.

We've been told that officially there won't be new NPCs added to the Irenicus dungeon. We've been also told that not all of your characters with whom you finish BG1 will be available in SoD further through the questline.

Several voice over actors were announced in the news article. Several characters have new voice lines if you watch the Twitch session. Whether there're any of other old voice over actors returning for SoD, or not, hasn't been revealed yet.

Everything else is a pure speculation.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • CendarCendar Member Posts: 27
    I agree wholeheartedly that the starting party in chateau irenicus should not be bigger. It just wouldn't make sense and would kill the test of the game. I also agree that NPC starting locations are integral to wonderful and well written story lines I would not want to change, but I think that as a player who plays for the story two things have always bugged me.

First it is charters in BGII who do not remember the player character/do not remember them to the degree they should/are unconcerned that PC has been missing for several months. Presumably these are people you traveled with for a long time, fought with, saved, perhaps raised from the dead, and even shared some more à memorable life experiences (I don't know maybe save the sword coast from the spawn of the god of murder or something) but they seem unconcerned you were gone! Rasaad and Neera are actually the two biggest culprits in my mind (particularly rasaad,I mean you help they guy with his life mission and he meets you in trademeet going who are you again?) Edwin also comes to mind. Furthermore it has always been weird to me that rich charters like Branwen and Xan, who presumably owe you a life debt, are no where to be found in BGII.

Secondly, just like bill bisco said, it just seems weird that even if you are evil you get a good starting party. Just doesn't make sense. I actually love the game the way it is but I sincerely hope that the writing in SoD really closes these gaps about why people who should care a lot about you are no where to be found, and how you end up with the cannon party even if you didn't travel with them in any of BGI. And I definately agree it would be awesome to get the chance to recruit a few more favorites from BGI like Alora, Xan, Branwen and Kivan to name just a few. For the time being I'm putting my faith in Beamdog and giving them the benefit of the doubt. I haven't been disappointed so far! :smile:
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    billbisco said:

@Dee If you like your Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen party then you can keep your Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen party. Most people did not end BG1 with that party and would welcome continuing with them.

People like a story game where choices matter. The most egregious example is the BG1 to BG2 transition. Suddenly our BG1 choices and actions were completely invalidated, our evil PCs traveled with good NPCs who they would not get along with. Dead NPCs are magically alive with no explanation, etc. That's not fun. That's not coherent. That, is an artistic travesty.

And no, carelessly killing off beloved companions with no ability to save or influence their fates is hardly "beautiful". Even @AndrewFoley admitted that he wasn't thrilled about Safana's poor treatment in BG2.

That should be a focus on an Enhanced Edition Trilogy: Making the game truly continuous and having choices matter. That, is beautiful!

So, when and if it comes time, please don't quash a more coherent and more fun outcome ^_^

Killing off/discarding characters can serve the story, even if they are beloved. In Bioware's case, they wanted to add new NPCs with connections to the new setting of Amn, but they didn't have unlimited resources to develop ~12 new NPCs and provide new content for ~20 BG1 NPCs, especially since they were doing a lot more character development for NPCs in BG2. So, they only carried over a few (probably the ones they found to be the most popular) because that was what served the story.

Since Imoen being in BG2 if she happened to die in BG1 is an "artistic travesty", how would you re-write BG2 to accommodate Imoen being killed by a gibberling on the Lion's Way? Pick a random party member to become a Bhaalspawn and give Imoen's lines to them (like Edwin needs a reason to be more self-important)? Have the role portrayed by Buffy the Understudy (Biff's cousin from Athkatla)?

BG2 would be a short game without Imoen to free you...

Irenicus: "Ah, the child of Bhaal has awoken. It is time for more... experiments."

Golem: "More intruders have entered the complex, Master."

Irenicus: "They act sooner than we had anticipated."

Irenicus leaves to deal with the Shadow Thieves and Cowled Wizards. Returns a short while later.

Irenicus: "Those fools. They did not know whom they faced. Now, child of Bhaal, where were we? Ah yes, how many lights do you see?"

THE END

Cendar said:

Furthermore it has always been weird to me that rich charters like Branwen and Xan, who presumably owe you a life debt, are no where to be found in BGII.

Xan is dead. It is canon. He can not be saved.

"He followed Korak into a spider den and was decapitated by a large spider."

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Xan
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Cendar said:

Furthermore it has always been weird to me that rich charters like Branwen and Xan, who presumably owe you a life debt, are no where to be found in BGII.

They traveled together to the distant land of Tu-Toree'al.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Branwen will charge into battle knowing she can't win and die in service of her god. Xan will probably get depressed and commit suicide.
    @wubble Stop this nonsense or I will spam Twilight pictures on your wall! :naughty:
    edited August 2015
    SionIV said:

And why does that mean Beamdog have to follow that abomination of a book?

Because there are certain rules.

Some books may be bad, but if they get official permission, their events will become part of the world FR.
    Beamdog can do only things, which are not in direct contradiction with written history of the world FR.

In games we have a certain degree of freedom, but some things are unchangeable.
    Drizzt must be good guy, that is book canon and you cant make him evil.

If main character in BG3 will not be our bhaalspawn, Abdel Adrian will be canon hero from BG1 and BG2.