Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Edvin said:

In games we have a certain degree of freedom, but some things are unchangeable.
    Drizzt must be good guy, that is book canon and you cant make him evil.

No, but my Evil party can kill him. Twice, just to make sure it sticks.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Well, considering Xan can be in your party at the start of SoD I think that means the book canon-ity is not taken into consideration. Otherwise he'd be super dead and couldn't be in an SoD starting party.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    shawne said:

Edvin said:

In games we have a certain degree of freedom, but some things are unchangeable.
    Drizzt must be good guy, that is book canon and you cant make him evil.

No, but my Evil party can kill him. Twice, just to make sure it sticks.
    Exactly!
    You can kill him in BG1 and he will be alive in BG2.
    You can kill him in BG2 and he will be alive in BG3.

He cant die, book canon.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Ardanis said:

Edvin said:

Because there are certain rules.

Some books may be bad, but if they get official permission, their events will become part of the world FR.
    Beamdog can do only things, which are not in direct contradiction with written history of the world FR.

I wish somebody told that George Lucas.
    Are you talking about Star War "Legends"?
    Don't blame George Lucas, in this case is Disney our bad guy.
    Dee said:

My heart weeps for Grand Admiral Thrawn. But let's try to keep the discussion within one tangent of SoD, please. ;)

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Mostly I find myself curious about SoD, no real preconceptions here. I do wonder what will happen to Veraka's party when they come in.

Minsc - Dynaheir is dead and not with us. I'm guessing SoD *might* resurrect her? Perhaps the writers have a plan in place for people like me who have one but not the other in their party. Similar thoughts for other paired NPCs.

Xzar - Speaking of which, Montaron bit off more than he could chew with a black bear in the first zone. I'm really hoping all of these NPCs get new voiced lines, it's a big part of why I chose this crew in the first place.

Xan - If he doesn't have new lines, this will be my biggest disappointment. I will also be sad if he leaves early in SoD ("Life is so hollow.").

Tiax - Great comic relief, but if you must rid me of one of these, I guess it can be Tiax. I was hoping to try out the new gnome and possibly the goblin. Still, if Tiax has new lines, I will have to hear them all.

Alora - Obviously I'm not the only fan of Alora on the forum. Very curious if she has new lines and new pop culture references for us. If she doesn't... the shiny new NPCs may be tempting.

As to the big meta-discussion about NPCs crossing into BG2... I'm guessing mods are the best we'll get. You never know, it could be that if SoD is popular enough not only could the new NPCs cross over, but the less-defined NPCs of BG1 could *eventually* enter the game. I think they will not modify the ones who already appear in BG2, but I hold out hope that the tutorial doesn't count. That could be years away though, or never. If you must have it, I think a mod will have to do for a long, long while.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    bengoshi said:

Thank gods George R. R. Martin wasn't hired for SoD writing ;)

It wouldn't work... At least Charname has to survive or there's no BG II :)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Minsc - Dynaheir is dead and not with us. I'm guessing SoD *might* resurrect her? Perhaps the writers have a plan in place for people like me who have one but not the other in their party. Similar thoughts for other paired NPCs.

You do realise SoD takes place before BG2? Dynahair is alive, well, and available as a party member in SoD. Presumably, she dies at the end.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Fardragon said:

You do realise SoD takes place before BG2? Dynahair is alive, well, and available as a party member in SoD. Presumably, she dies at the end.

Presumable there will still be a time gap of a few days between the end of SoD and start of SoA. SoD probably ends with the capturing, and Dynaheir only dies after that. As does Khalid. It WAS Irenicus that killed them.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Yannir said:

Fardragon said:

Presumable there will still be a time gap of a few days between the end of SoD and start of SoA. SoD probably ends with the capturing, and Dynaheir only dies after that. As does Khalid. It WAS Irenicus that killed them.
    Dynaheir dies DURING the capture, which I'm pretty sure will be depicted in SoD. Irenicus is confirmed as being in SoD, and a big thing has been made about how SoD ties up loose ends. A lot more than a few days pass in Irenicus' dungeon though.

@Dee So, if i understood you correctly, we could add back some BG1 NPCs into BG2EE, but not in the Dungeon? Do we have the capacity to add some in-character banters all over the game too?
    If yes, then we might as well start a poll, which 1 (2,3) NPCs people want to return.

It's not that wide a range, there are only eleven characters unaccounted for. I'm guessing Baeloth would take the top spot, followed by either Kivan or Xan.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I may have stumbled across an sanity threatening possibility here ! ! !
    Imagine M’Khiin and Neera are in the same party. And a wild magic that strains the fabric of the space-time continuum hits the She-Goblin... wouldn't that theoretically transform her into a Nilbog? Given how nilbogism works in D&D. The mere thought of traveling with a walking paradox sends shivers through my cytoplasm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTfjb8Fgiyg
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2015
    shawne said:

@Dee So, if i understood you correctly, we could add back some BG1 NPCs into BG2EE, but not in the Dungeon? Do we have the capacity to add some in-character banters all over the game too?
    If yes, then we might as well start a poll, which 1 (2,3) NPCs people want to return.

It's not that wide a range, there are only eleven characters unaccounted for. I'm guessing Baeloth would take the top spot, followed by either Kivan or Xan.
    11? I count 9 (ok, 10 with Baeloth :wink: ):

Alora, Branwen, Eldoth, Kagain, Kivan, Shar-Teel, Skie, Xan, Yeslick. Who am I missing? :confounded:
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Perhaps she/he counted Dynaheir and Khalid as well, but we already know that eventually they will die, so I would say that 9 is the right number :)
  • CendarCendar Member Posts: 27
    If I had to vote for my top 3 I think it would be Branwen, Xan, and Alora. I thought Kivan, Shar-Teel and Yeslick were compelling characters as well and of course Baeloth was a great idea. I have been imagining that he finds his way back to the black pits despite that ungrateful genie... Wonder if they will address all of those characters and what becomes of them in SoD...
    Technically it would probably be easiest to add NPC's that are already in BG2, just not recruitable. Ajantis would be rather easy, just alter the course of the Windspear encounter. It has no major impact on the story, and Ajantis surviving the fight would make a lot more sense than the current resolution of that story.

@AstroBryGuy Garrick?
    Yannir said:

Technically it would probably be easiest to add NPC's that are already in BG2, just not recruitable. Ajantis would be rather easy, just alter the course of the Windspear encounter. It has no major impact on the story, and Ajantis surviving the fight would make a lot more sense than the current resolution of that story.

@AstroBryGuy Garrick?

He's in the Temple District, trying to woo a Knight of the Radiant Heart.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Interesting. A user on the bioware forum, basing his view on the SoD stream, says that there will be a new voice over actress for Jaheira in SoD.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/557908-siege-of-dragonspear-bg-expansion/
    @AstroBryGuy Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that!

Unfortunately, Baeloth cannot join in BG2, if we assume that BP2 happens simultaneously to the events of SoA. He's there, so no joining. He might be a ToB NPC though. That would actually be pretty great. Also it would awesome if u could summon BG1 NPC's into the pocket plane.
    edited August 2015
    bengoshi said:

Interesting. A user on the bioware forum, basing his view on the SoD stream, says that there will be a new voice over actress for Jaheira in SoD.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/557908-siege-of-dragonspear-bg-expansion/

I would be disappointed, but not surprised. Heidi Shannon doesn't have any IMDb credits in the last 12 years. Of course, it could just be that her voice has changed over the past 12 years and the commenter was mistaken.
    edited August 2015

11? I count 9 (ok, 10 with Baeloth :wink: ):

Alora, Branwen, Eldoth, Kagain, Kivan, Shar-Teel, Skie, Xan, Yeslick. Who am I missing? :confounded:

Believe it or not, I made the same mistake of counting Garrick. :)
    Yannir said:

Unfortunately, Baeloth cannot join in BG2, if we assume that BP2 happens simultaneously to the events of SoA. He's there, so no joining. He might be a ToB NPC though. That would actually be pretty great. Also it would awesome if u could summon BG1 NPC's into the pocket plane.

I mean... I hate to say it, but Baeloth's role in BP2 is so pointless and minimal they could just as easily delete "Stannel Eibor" and figure out some workaround...
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550

Of course, it could just be that her voice has changed over the past 12 years and the commenter was mistaken.

That is my hope as well!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    uhhm... will goblins be a playable race (for the pc)?