Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase III

Comments

• WayniacWayniac Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

If there weren't so many comments complaining, there wouldn't be a need to go two pages back.

That's a ridiculous thing to say and I'm not going to start arguing about whether or not we should be allowed to speak freely.
    Post edited by Wayniac on
  • KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
    shawne said:

@Dee: Responding to criticism is one thing; acting on it is quite another. You've been promising changes since last April, but so far Beamdog has done nothing to demonstrate any interest whatsoever in the state of its existing products. You write self-congratulatory essays on the wonders of "rebranding beta testing" (as if shifting the burden of proofing your work to people who have already paid for it is some noble experiment), but where are the practical results? We're still waiting on a patch where the major issue of contention was window sizes, while BG2:EE is currently in a borderline-unplayable state.

For all your assurances that you want the games to be "the best that they can be", Beamdog seems more concerned with getting people to pay on more platforms than with helping the people who've already bought the games, and with teasing more features when the ones you've already released don't work. "We're listening" is a platitude, and it's one that loses effectiveness over time; do something about it, or don't be surprised when the tone of the criticism gets harsher.

Couldnt have said better.

I do have a question for @Dee. The bugs and things fixed in this next patch... do the fixes and updates also apply to BG2:EE? For example, the highlighting of scrolls that one can learn and things of that sort?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    bengoshi said:

BGEE game: Boys... boys... Don't fight over me, please.

Positive fans aka Carbos: Fight over her? What an excellent idea! Yes, we shall fight over our beloved BG:EE!

Negative fans akas Shank: Yes, that sounds wonderful. Shall we start now?

Carbos: Certainly, if you wish to.

Shank: Certainly!

BGEE game: [sigh] Well, fine. Go ahead, then. If that's what you boys have to do.

And then, Shank hugged Carbos.

Can I be one of those guys South of Gullykin? Or the girls north of the Tombs?
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    Candlekeep
  • BeridelBeridel Member Posts: 35
    Wayniac said:

I do have a question for @Dee. The bugs and things fixed in this next patch... do the fixes and updates also apply to BG2:EE? For example, the highlighting of scrolls that one can learn and things of that sort?

What he said. Can we can get an answer on this?
  • BeridelBeridel Member Posts: 35
    Dee said:

Yes, anything code-related (i.e. "the way things work in the game") will affect both games. So the green filter on writeable spells will be there, as well as non-party NPCs receiving proper benefits and penalties from their weapon proficiencies (or lack thereof).

Alright, cool. Thanks for the quick answer.
    Dee said:

Yes, anything code-related (i.e. "the way things work in the game") will affect both games. So the green filter on writeable spells will be there, as well as non-party NPCs receiving proper benefits and penalties from their weapon proficiencies (or lack thereof).

Awesome! I think some of the concerns that people have with these patch releases deals with the fact that it seems like BG:EE is getting love for updates and such while BG2:EE still has a ton of bugs and issues. Knowing that patches like these will actually update both games is really good to hear.

Thanks for the response!
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Hopefully by 2015 i'll finally be able to play the dream no reload challenge saga with all the mods installed and no bugs whatsoever. But for now i remain skeptical, patch progress way too slow.
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    I have a dream: one day, perhaps many years from now, 1.3 will be released, and I will be able to gather my party before venturing forth.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Wayniac: don't read more than was written into Dee's comment ;~) We now know for sure that the intent is to roll the game-engine improvements from BGEE 1.3 into BG2EE 1.3 - but we don't know if they intend to ship them around the same time or not. I don't rule out their ability to surprise (and delight!) but don't want to see Dee hounded for something he did not say, if the patches follow their own timelines.

Given the broad lack of hints of anything BG2EE 1.3, my (totally uninformed) expectation is that the BG2EE patch work begins in earnest as BGEE 1.3 is released, and based on recent form will take 3-6 months more to ship. I would be delighted to be proved wrong, these are totally my own finger in the air guestimates and worth no more than that, but that is how I will gauge my own level of disappointment on the eventual ship date - I am predicting mid-November as a last push to beat the 12 month 'deadline' of a patch within a year of release.

Of course, this assumes it is not derailed by further work on BG2EE for Android - although much of that would be work in parallel.

And despite my carefully lowered expectations, I still hope to be proved wrong in a delightful way, but my inner/outer cynic has a timetable to work with.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    Paaaaaatchhh..... /cry
  • OtakuOtaku Member Posts: 42
    What i really hate is that beamdog give too little Information about the stand from the work on the patch out. We Need More Infos
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Honestly this whole thread is ridiculous. You paid less than $20 for a game with 4 new characters with their own quests and a whole lot of additional material. We aren't entitled to ANYTHING. Stop acting so entitled to constant monthly patches and upgrades and yada yada. They have your money and you have their game, and they could leave it at that like SO MANY other games if they wanted to and they'd be perfectly within their rights. The level of ungratefulness here sickens me over and over again.

this
    I mean, my nausea right now comes from eating too many plantain chips, but yeah.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'm not clamoring for monthly patches. I would like one at the six month mark.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    I'm not going to waste time reading your 4 paragraphs of whining, as the general gist of it is "i want more for free."
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited May 2014
    Months ago I said: You should make content for the game (not free...), but all I saw was ipad, android etc... I'am not saying that is bad, but its been months, it feels like the game is dead.

I won't even ask for patches because I havent found that many bugs... but obviously new npcs and dlc should have been released by now, you are splitting a small team among many OS just to make it work! not even adding content.

When I read these critics I feel I was right. Still, hope your mobile bet is paying off.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Well, that makes me happy. That is even considering what happened a year ago, a totally irrelevant event to BG though.
  • artemusclydeartemusclyde Member Posts: 5
    So, any news on if shadow armor is going to get added to other classes besides thieves? Preferably stalkers.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    @artemusclyde‌

The Shadow Armor was always thief only, not only in EEs but also in vanilla BG2, so it's not a bug, it's a feature. We've once had a feature request - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4303/shadow-armor-not-just-for-thieves - but it hasn't made it into an official version because people view this subject differently. Maybe the Devs will one day adress this feature but not in the upcoming patch.
  • artemusclydeartemusclyde Member Posts: 5
    bengoshi said:

@artemusclyde‌

The Shadow Armor was always thief only, not only in EEs but also in vanilla BG2, so it's not a bug, it's a feature. We've once had a feature request - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4303/shadow-armor-not-just-for-thieves - but it hasn't made it into an official version because people view this subject differently. Maybe the Devs will one day adress this feature but not in the upcoming patch.

Damn, anyway to mod it?
This discussion has been closed.