Skip to content

BG1NPC for BGEE Prerelease - UPDATE v21-PR_20150131

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Two questions, where should I unzip the file if I have the Steam version?? And though it's optimal to use it in a new run, will it affect/work in a current saved game??
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Can you go into more detail on the complicated method? I want to make sure I understand the option fully before I give a preference.

The frequency of banters in the game is controlled by the file BANTTIMG.2DA (new for BG[1/2]EE). This controls the frequency of both dialog banters (those that pause the game and spawn a dialog) and the interaction banters (the ones that the NPCs say to each other without spawning a dialog). There are four entries in the file.

FREQUENCY: Time between banter checks in "ticks" of 1/15th of a second.

PROBABILITY: % chance that a banter check fires a banter.

REPLAYDELAY: Time between allowing the same banter to fire again (BG1NPC prevents dialog banters from firing a second time at all).

SPECIALPROBABILITY: The chance of a dialog banter vs. an interaction banter. 100% is all dialog banters.

So, a complicated method would be to allow the player to chose various parameters independently. It allows for a lot of customization (do you prefer quick banters? slow banters? banters to happen on a regular schedule? more randomly time banters? more dialog banters? more interaction banters?), but as others have noted (and I was thinking anyway), this is likely to overwhelm a beginning player. A more seasoned player can just edit the file and drop it in the override directory (it's just a text file).

With the defaults, there is about 25-30 minutes on average between dialog banters (it is random, so it possible to get two dialog banters a few minutes apart). I was thinking of offering 5 options:

[1] Default dialog banter timing (~30 minutes)
    [2] Faster dialog banters (~20 minutes)
    [3] Very fast dialog banters (~10 minutes)
    [4] Slow dialog banters (~45 minutes)
    [5] Very slow dialog banters (~1 hour)
    edited July 2014

Two questions, where should I unzip the file if I have the Steam version?? And though it's optimal to use it in a new run, will it affect/work in a current saved game??

I'm on OSX, so I can't verify this, but I think the directory you want is
    C:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\

Check that the file chitin.key is in that directory.

As to using it on a game that is in progress. It can work, but I'd really recommend a new game. The game stores copies of areas you have visited and creatures in those areas in your saved game. So, if you install BG1NPC mid-game, some edited resources may not be in the new game. This could affect certain quests, like...

...Coran's Wyvern Quest.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    I think customization is the way to go here.

Installing mods in BG already isn't the simplest task in the world(it's not "subscribe a mod in steam" or "download with nexus mod manager" simple) so most people who will install mods already know that they are going to have to read several options and make choices in some cases.

I would say that giving the freedom to customize the banters the way each one wants to is worth it as long as the options are well explained and have a clear option to use "fast, medium, slow" defaults for people who don't want to tinker.
    AstroBryGuy
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited July 2014
    Rasekov said:

I think customization is the way to go here.

Installing mods in BG already isn't the simplest task in the world(it's not "subscribe a mod in steam" or "download with nexus mod manager" simple) so most people who will install mods already know that they are going to have to read several options and make choices in some cases.

I would say that giving the freedom to customize the banters the way each one wants to is worth it as long as the options are well explained and have a clear option to use "fast, medium, slow" defaults for people who don't want to tinker.

Look, it isn't the most easier thing to do, there are 4 variables and if you really are interested in changing it (and have knowledge on this) you can manually edit the tp2 to change it, or edit the 2da later... anyway, i don't like the defaults options so much.
    Maybe both methods can be added, just make a sixth option named "Custom values (warning—it's not easy)" and done? :D
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

Look, it isn't the most easier thing to do, there are 4 variables and if you really are interested in changing it (and have knowledge on this) you can manually edit the tp2 to change it, or edit the 2da later... anyway, i don't like the defaults options so much.
    Maybe both methods can be added, just make a sixth option named "Custom values (warning—it's not easy)" and done? :D

I'm not sure if I get the tone of your post correctly but I was only giving an opinion on the matter.

AstroBryGuy asked, a few people replied and since I didn't see any argument for customization I made one, nothing more. I'm not demanding anything to be done the way I would kind of prefer.
    CrevsDaakAstroBryGuy
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Yeah ummm more simplistic version gets my vote, knowing me I would screw up and either get constant banters or never see a single one...
    jackjackAstroBryGuy
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Rasekov said:

The only choices you're asked to make with BG1NPC in its current form is whether you want to install specific character quests, and whether you want Player-Initiated Dialogues.

I mean, look, I have to install "Big Picture" to get "Ascension" working with BG2:EE, and the process makes my eyes glaze over. Keep the essential mods simple and streamlined, and if you personally want to make further alterations with your own copy of the game, you have every right to do so.

In fact, @AstroBryGuy, I recommend adding a text readme to the mod so that anyone who wants to take the more complex and customized approach can do so.
    AstroBryGuy
    @Shawne - BG1NPC does have more options that that. Romances prompt for "lovetalk" timings and some components have options to choose from (e.g., open Cloakwood). However, none are that complicated. So, your overall point is valid.

I think I'll go with the simple menu of timings. It's basically analogous to the romance lovetalk timing menu options, so it's keeping on par with the option of other components.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
    kaguanashawne
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Hello everyone!

I'm preparing to do my first ever playthrough of BG1 using a version of the NPC mod, and I was hoping that people here would be kind enough to answer a few questions, both about the pre-release specifically and the mod in general. I don't mind if a few spoilers are inadvertently dropped along the way.

1. I've seen a few links posted in this and other threads for downloading the mod's EE pre-release. Which link currently contains the most recent, updated version of the pre-release?

2. What can I expect from a romance that's described as "adult" (i.e: Coran's) as opposed to one that's described as "teen" (Xan's)?

3. If I install the component that places Alora in Gullykin, will her character match the original or EE version of her? (i.e: will she have the "updated" version of the rabbit's foot from EE?).

4. Does the mod merely supplement the original BG1 banters/interactions, or does it replace them outright? In other words, with the mod installed, will the original BG1 banters still occur?

5. IF I were to install the accelerated banter component WITHOUT installing any of the components that add new banters, would this still increase the frequency of the original game banters?

Thanks very much in advance.

Hello everyone!

I'm preparing to do my first ever playthrough of BG1 using a version of the NPC mod, and I was hoping that people here would be kind enough to answer a few questions, both about the pre-release specifically and the mod in general. I don't mind if a few spoilers are inadvertently dropped along the way.

1. I've seen a few links posted in this and other threads for downloading the mod's EE pre-release. Which link currently contains the most recent, updated version of the pre-release?

2. What can I expect from a romance that's described as "adult" (i.e: Coran's) as opposed to one that's described as "teen" (Xan's)?

3. If I install the component that places Alora in Gullykin, will her character match the original or EE version of her? (i.e: will she have the "updated" version of the rabbit's foot from EE?).

4. Does the mod merely supplement the original BG1 banters/interactions, or does it replace them outright? In other words, with the mod installed, will the original BG1 banters still occur?

5. IF I were to install the accelerated banter component WITHOUT installing any of the components that add new banters, would this still increase the frequency of the original game banters?

Thanks very much in advance.

1. The latest pre-release can be found at: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/BG1NPC/releases

A "canary" version with recent changes that haven't been rolled into a pre-release can be found at: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/BG1NPC/archive/master.zip

2. Things can get more "hot & steamy" in the adult romances.

3. Yes, Alora's regular CRE file is used.

4. The original dialog banters and interaction banters are still there. BG1NPC does stop all dialog banters from repeating, even the original ones.

5. Yes, it would increase the frequency of the dialog banters (but not the interaction banters). Without the additional BG1NPC banters, you'd burn through the standard banters very quickly.
    SharGuidesMyHandjackjack
    Thanks!

5. Yes, it would increase the frequency of the dialog banters (but not the interaction banters).

When you refer to "banters" and "interactions," which one refers to the dialogues that cause the game to stop, and which refers to the dialogues that happen while the game continues?

Also, what exactly does the "Ajantis vs. Coran vs. Xan" component do, and do I need to install the romances for all three of those NPCs in order for it to work?

Thanks again in advance.
    Its a romance conflict point of no return, basically if you string all three of them along long enough it will fire and force you to choose one of them and ends the other two romances.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    CrevsDaak said:

I was gonna suggest this.
    edited July 2014

Thanks!

5. Yes, it would increase the frequency of the dialog banters (but not the interaction banters).

When you refer to "banters" and "interactions," which one refers to the dialogues that cause the game to stop, and which refers to the dialogues that happen while the game continues?

Also, what exactly does the "Ajantis vs. Coran vs. Xan" component do, and do I need to install the romances for all three of those NPCs in order for it to work?

Thanks again in advance.
    There are two kinds of banters: dialogs that pause the game and interactions that don't. The BG1NPC-added banters are all dialog banters.

The Romance Challenges component expands the romance options and content for female characters being courted by Coran, Ajantis, and/or Xan. You must have two or three of these NPCs in your party for it to work.

SharGuidesMyHand
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I just can't bring myself to start NPCs like Alora anywhere but where they are supposed to be (it only makes sense to meet her in the situation she is in). Am I missing out on any dialog on having the NPCs start in their original spots??

There are two kinds of banters: dialogs that pause the game and interactions that don't. The BG1NPC-added banters are all dialog banters.

Will increasing the frequency of dialogue banters using the Project also increase the frequency of NPCs getting into fights?

I just can't bring myself to start NPCs like Alora anywhere but where they are supposed to be (it only makes sense to meet her in the situation she is in). Am I missing out on any dialog on having the NPCs start in their original spots??

Alora has a different greeting scripted for BG1NPC if you move her to Gullykin, but then you miss out on the Hall of Wonder Alora intro. So, six of one, half-dozen of the other, I guess.

Basically, it's a way to get NPCs you want earlier in the game.

Will increasing the frequency of dialogue banters using the Project also increase the frequency of NPCs getting into fights?
    If the fights are initiated by the dialog banters (like Ajantis attacking an evil party member or the Harpers vs Zhents fight), then I would think that increasing the frequency of dialog banters would increase the fight frequency.

Problem is Alora being in baldur's gate makes her join rather late. Imoen, Safana, Montaron, and Coran join much earlier. Skie and Tiax also share Alora's late join time issue, really if you are going to use one of them it is pretty much only to see their banters or if you really like them because of the extremely late join time. Coran has a similar issue what with the forest being unavailable until later but as he's a romance option and I believe a mod can unlock all of cloakwood except for the mine it is possible to grab him fairly early if you have the guts to take down that wyvern so he won't leave if you take too long to do his quest.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    It true that Alora, Coran, Skie, Tiax and Quayle start late but the mod can change some of it, like Alora and Coran (that I didn't have any problem to take from the beginning and doing whatever I want before I did his quest and he didn't leave or nag about it).
    I think it worth taking them to see their banters and Coran romance or just because you like them.
    I like that there is the option to take some of them earlier I don't know why Quayle hasn't have that option to be outside of the gate instead of inside the gate @AstroBryGuy isn't there an option like that in the mod ?
    As for Skie she won't join if Eldoth isn't in the party which also come a bit late.

@AstroBryGuy does the mod compatible with the V1.3 patch that going to come out (base on the beta ofc)?
    I completely forgot about Quale....
    Another question:

If I intend to install a few NPC mods (i.e: Mur'Neth, @CaloNord‌ 's Ellyndira) and a kit (priest of Tyr) in addition to the NPC Project, does the order in which I install them matter?
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Question.. for some reason im not getting any banters from Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira after several gamedays, while my past EE games with this mod were always full of banters... I initially refused Khalid & Jaheira to join with me, but accepted them anyway a few days later.
    Could this technically be a reason why banters are not firing? Any variables i could check etc.?
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Not accepting Khalid & Jaheira to the party and after few days accepting them shouldn't really interfere with the banters firing, unless you are not in the right place for the banter to fire up.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    @kaguana‌ Maybe im just an impatient git then. :P
    Will play tonight again and see if a few banters fire up.
    jackjackkaguana
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

@kaguana‌ Maybe im just an impatient git then. :P
    Will play tonight again and see if a few banters fire up.

@KingGhidorah, if you have the console enabled, you can use CTRL+I to trigger a random banter. Actually, when you do this there are two possible outcomes: nothing will happen or you may get a random banter, so basically you have to keep pressing CTRL+I until you get one. Just be careful, because if you do this too often you may run out of banters entirely.

Question.. for some reason im not getting any banters from Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira after several gamedays, while my past EE games with this mod were always full of banters... I initially refused Khalid & Jaheira to join with me, but accepted them anyway a few days later.
    Could this technically be a reason why banters are not firing? Any variables i could check etc.?

Here are the banter variables you can check. Keep in mind that these are LOCALS variables. So, you need to have the first NPC of the pair selected to check the variable.

Imoen-Jaheira: X#IMJA1
    Imoen-Khalid: X#IMKH1 - X#IMKH2
    Jaheira-Khalid: X#JAKH1 - X#JAKH4
    Jaheira-Imoen: X#JAIM1 - X#JAIM3
    Khalid-Imoen: X#KHIM1
    Khalid-Jaheira: X#KHJA1 - X#KHJA4
    edited August 2014
    kaguana said:

It true that Alora, Coran, Skie, Tiax and Quayle start late but the mod can change some of it, like Alora and Coran (that I didn't have any problem to take from the beginning and doing whatever I want before I did his quest and he didn't leave or nag about it).
    I think it worth taking them to see their banters and Coran romance or just because you like them.
    I like that there is the option to take some of them earlier I don't know why Quayle hasn't have that option to be outside of the gate instead of inside the gate @AstroBryGuy isn't there an option like that in the mod ?
    As for Skie she won't join if Eldoth isn't in the party which also come a bit late.

@AstroBryGuy does the mod compatible with the V1.3 patch that going to come out (base on the beta ofc)?

There are components to move Alora, Quayle, Tiax, and Eldoth in BG1NPC. Currently, only Alora is active, and she's bugged. I've got a fix for her and I'm working on the others. Coran is a different story, as BG1NPC doesn't move him, but can open Cloakwood so that he is accessible.

SCS has a component to move Vicona and Shar-Teel, as well as Eldoth, Tiax, and Quayle.

Currently, I'm doing my tests on v1.3. I don't see any problems specific to the patch.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    jackjackkaguana
  • KazicKazic Member Posts: 2
    Ran into a bug, not sure if its from this mod but it happened immediately following a banter. In Urgoth's beard when you are fighting the summoned demon as they are summoning it Viconia says something along the lines of "Oh noes a demon, lets leave them to their fate" ANd then she turned hostile "red circle" and would not respond to commands. My Summoned creatures attacked her automatically and even after the fight was over (Which was much harder with no cleric i might add :p) she remained so. I was forced to kick her from the party and then re-invite her to solve the issue.
This discussion has been closed.