Skip to content

Little things that annoy you

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Artona said:

Don't you just love when after rewardless fight with bunch of skeleton you run into yet another band of kobolds while pursuing last undead?
    Yay.

Well at least it gives you something to practice your Cloudkill spells on!
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @Balrog99 - alas, I don't have access to such goodies yet.
    But I swear I will come back and cloudkilled them all so hard, they'll scare their kobold-children with me. So sayeth Artona Unwise.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    "Must dash to Beregost, I must!"

Proceeds to go North instead of South.
  • CheckmateSandersonCheckmateSanderson Member Posts: 50
    The entire plot of IWD1. (Maybe not a "little" thing per se but...well, I certainly have to squint my eyes to discern any sign of it)
    edited July 2017
    @CheckmateSanderson
    The plot to IWD is there, it's just that the game is more hack 'n slash than character interaction. It's actually a pretty good plot in my opinion.

Other things that annoy me.
    2. the hallway with the two skeleton warriors and all the traps in the Theives Guild
    3. Pathfinding (especially back when I was playing the Vanilla game)
    4. The 2nd floor of Durlag's Tower (although let's face it, that dungeon is awesome)
    5. The Xvart Village attacks you when you did nothing to them and then has the audacity to say that you attacked them when they did nothing to you.
    6. None of the other Bhaalspawn (except Sarevok) disintegrate when they die.
    7. Low-level party in IWD is forced to fight a Maralith, and not just a Maralith, but a Maralith and her high level goons all at once(my only real major issue with IWD)
    8. There is no way to resurrect Ajantis despite him dying in a relatively normal way unlike Dynaheir, Khalid and Tiax. I understand that Ajantis has a mod, but I'm talking specifically about the unmodded game.
    9. Only party members can spring traps.
    10. SOA gives you protection from +1 weapons or lower at the end and then TOB throws armies at you with +2 weapons or more, rendering your ability pointless and virtually unusable.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @ZaramMaldovar Yeah, it would be nice to summon a creature and run him ahead to check for traps. It's that number 9 that is a little off in all the games. At least one can use summons to blow a skull bomb that never went off.
  • CheckmateSandersonCheckmateSanderson Member Posts: 50
    @semiticgod great list. My most vivid memory of IWD2 is the extraordinary number of dead cats you can find throughout the game. Like, every map seems to have a container with a dead cat inside - it's perverse!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

64. "No! You poisoned the water! Why did we leave this room completely unguarded this whole time?"

Well, they didn't leave it unguarded. That place has a powerful priest and a bunch of Slayer Knights of Xvim guarding it. It's one of the tougher battles of Chapter 6.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I really need to load up iwd2 again. I only finished it once and don't recall any of it anymore
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    That's always a great way to replay games. Hopefully your muscle memory will be in tact for the important things.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Dying.
    Corwin...just Corwin, that is all.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @ZaramMaldovar - oh man, she is the worst.
    Ad rem - combat, especially those filler fights. I noticed that I am currently enjoying conversations and exploration much more than combat. Is it how being old feels like? ;)
    @Artona
    Perhaps, bu I'm 21 and when it comes to Siege of Dragonspear, the story is the best part, but the combat is so diverse and the character interaction so frequent that I truly believe it to be a masterpiece.

Corwin on the other hand, I have a serious problem with. If she was listed as a Lawful Neutral Fighter with grand mastery in Long Bows instead of a Lawful Good Archer, then I'd have less of a problem.

But as it stands we have a LG Ranger or is clearly LN and is more concerned with following orders than anything else and flat out refuses to see anything from any point of view but her/the Flaming Fist's.

Chaotic Evil Necromancer? No problem as long as you help get what we need done.
    Drows? Goblins? Half-Orcs? They MUST be evil.
    Lawful Good Paladin with rep 20? Doesn't matter, you killed Skie and that's that, she isn't even going to question it.
    Take time away from the main quest to help your party members? She complains about it and insists that you return to the main quest. Hell, I even had her do that when we diverged from the main quest to heal her fellow soldiers.

Plainly put, everything about Corwin screams LN and she isn't very pleasant about it, even characters like Xan and Anomen are so hell-bent at being as fundamental and order focused as Corwin is.

Now I'll give Corwin that she cares about her family (and Rohma is so cute) but anyone can care about their family, so that in and of itself is not a redeemable quality.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the reputation system. thankfully i can turn it off with the tweak pack.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @ZaramMaldovar How often do we get a legit member of law enforcement in our party in games like this? I fully agree that she should be TN, but considering her job, I fully understand her stances ( not that I agree with her, the abysmal conduct of my countries law enforcement may be coloring my view of her here). FWIW you CAN convince her that you are innocent, but being tied to the system, admits that there is nothing she can do. I think its worth taking her at least once though, she some interesting reactions to a few of the other party members, kind of a "straight man" to the chaos if you will. Her interactions with M'Khiin are great, going from outright racism to a mutual respect with one another.
    edited July 2017
    @ThacoBell
    No sir, LN. But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions. There is a BIG difference between LN and TN. Then again, I am one who believes every alignment is unique and complex rather than being a simple archetype. LN is the most rigid of all, but not everyone is necessarily rigid.

LN doesn't get enough love in the Baldur's Gate universe (Xan is the only pure LN character in the entire series) and while I originally hated it, I'm considering playing through as a LN character in the future (most likely a Cleric)

My next playthrough though is going to be a LE Blackguard.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @ZaramMaldovar Derp, I actually meant LN.
    @ThacoBell
    Hey it happens.

While I'm at it, you know what really grinds my gears? Kobolds. Like they aren't difficult to kill, but the numbers are ridiculous. And then when you get to BG2 they start casting Entangle. Oh and let's not forget the snipers in Firewine Bridge with fire arrows in the tight hallways
    All the quests that require you to break into random houses. Seriously, do normal people reward you with quests after you break into their domiciles? Are they sitting around waiting for a master thief to break in???
    Thinking about gold pieces found in random chests. Anybody remember the Gold Box games where they actually used currency other than gold? It was much more believable when coppers were the norm and finding electrum pieces for the first time was a memorable experience. Would it have been that hard to implement something like that in Baldur's Gate?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited August 2017
    @Balrog99 Agreed. I liked that myself not only from the GB games but AD&D as well.
    How else can you get any change back on a purchase? ;)
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    I guess everything, including a head of lettuce or a safety pin has a minimum price of 1 gp. Good thing they don't have Jolly Ranchers in Baldur's Gate or people would be going broke once they tasted the watermelon flavor!