Skip to content

Little things that annoy you

Comments

• SteveRogers41SteveRogers41 Member Posts: 33
    Waiting for my party members to catch up when I have Boots of Speed, and then one of them gets stuck. 
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    1. The Pathfinding
    2. The Pathfinding
    3. The Pathfinding

Did I mention how much I really hate the Pathfinding? Especially in the Classic Versions of the games.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2019
    What, you don't like watching your party joust in thin passageways then bounce off each other like they've got deflector shields only to run to the opposite sides of the map before reorienting themselves and repeating the whole process over unless you manually reset their movement?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Seriously, I love the fact that I can take a bathroom break while one of my six characters decides to walk a complete circle around the map trying to get to an entrance. It gives my ring of regeneration that much more time to kick in and save me from having to cast healing spells...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i find complaints about the path finding interesting because for the last 20 years, i've never seem to have had a serious problem with it

although back in the v2.0.....? patch or so the path finding felt like it went backwards, but whatever the updated version on steam is now seems perfectly fine to me with path nodes on 400 000

but lets see, what little things annoy me....

the fact that now when i have to sell items in stacks i HAVE to double click EVERY single one to sell it in a stack at once or else items will depreciate in value if you sell them one at a time, to me this seems like a super bizarre mechanic to implement, this crap didn't come in until v2 i believe and its been trash ever since, i bet every play through i have 30 mins- 1 hour is wasted just clicking on stacks trying to sell them, and im not one of those people who love clicking for no reason, i really wish beamdog would get rid of that shenanigans and just make it so i can click ONCE to sell the whole stack, seriously

another thing that grinds my gears ( although luckily i can fix this myself ) is this atrocious million auto save file nonsense that was also implemented in v2+ , 4 quick saves, prologue save, chapter saves, saves for picking your nose, like friggin seriously it was out of control, and then going fishing to find your save file afterwards, especially if you are trying to play to runs at once, such an annoyance, but luckily with NI i can edit the .bcs files so they no longer come up and also bring my quick save back down to just the 1

hmm, i thought i was going to go on a rant here, but at the moment that is all i can think of, what a pity, oh well, back to bg1 ...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I don't understand the complaints about pathfinding either. What people are reporting sounds like the vanilla (pre-EE) behavior to me. I haven't had any pathfinding problems throughout the EEs with 2 exceptions: Firewine Ruins (which has always been nightmarish), and a single random chair at the FAI. I don't know why this chair is so powerful, but ensnares Imoen every time I go to the front counter. And only Imoen.

yeah, it is true that the fire wine ruins, ulcaster dungeon and the ice cave from ulgoth's beard can be a little trickier when it comes to maneuvering and that is why in bg2 they didn't make any tight maze like dungeons for that purpose

but for me, perhaps it's just because i've been playing these games for 20 years and i've just adapted to what the path finding is, at least the path finding in the bg ee games is far superior to the path finding in NWN ee, now that path finding is balls terrible, getting stuck on the scenery easily, refusing to walk more than 30 feet at a time even if the character can see, ah good times
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Quayle.

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself.

I'm not apologizing

va10zpjwai4k.jpg
  • SteveRogers41SteveRogers41 Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2019
    Quayle.

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself.

I'm not apologizing

va10zpjwai4k.jpg

I remember a couple years ago I lost Viconia due to high reputation so I needed a good healer. I had parted ways with Branwen & Jaheira at a lower level so they would no longer be useful, and I had already turned down Yeslick. That left Quayle. My main character, Garrick, Ajantis, Coran, and Safana had to put up with Quayle for the remainder of the game, and it wasn't easy for any of them.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    1. The Pathfinding
    2. The Pathfinding
    3. The Pathfinding

Did I mention how much I really hate the Pathfinding? Especially in the Classic Versions of the games.

i think iwd 2 might have the worst path finding of all the ie games. it was horrible.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited March 2019
    Edit: self-policed off-topic removed.

No mod, original game ammo stacking. Hell, anything stacking in the no-modded, original game.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited March 2019
    When you upgrade the FOA and you end up with free action.
    Ruins the weapon, ruins the party set up, just ruins everything.
    there is a fix for it. if you apply to the toon the wanted effects, like casting on him improved haste, and then he equips the +5 foa the haste is preserved and he is protected by the free action.
    this continue to be annoying as compel to micro manage, but at least avoid that upgrading the weapon you get a less powerful toon/party then before the upgrade.
    i am quite sure that there is an opcode that gives only the positive effects of free action and i agree about the fact that an upgrade that makes the weapon more damaging but overall less powerful has no sense.
    the same thing happens also for the upgraded ixil spyke.

EDIT: it seems that there are mods that fix this issue.

Post edited by gorgonzola on
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Dying.

it seems that we have to accept the fact both in game and in rl, the difference is that in game it can also not happen and if it happens we have the power of reload.
    in rl at best, and not all people and religions agree about it, we can only start again with a completely different toon.
    about the pathfinding i never had much problems even with the original game that was worst then ee in it.
    for short distances it usually works well, for long ones it is easy to set intermediate points before the final destination.
    boys, let's actually learn how to play the game, starting from the very basic like moving around your toons!
    i wonder how is possible that some masters in using the very complex magic system, in fighting monsters and foe of higher level then their toon, maybe even in modding and shaping the game according to their own will, are not able to learn the basics of how to move properly the party trough the areas...

i micromanage a lot my parties and even it the original i am able to use the pathfinding to do very fine and precise things, like having my thief move forward to spot, my fighters go each one in a certain precise spot, but in a controlled way, ie avoiding a beeline to not be spotted or avoiding a detected but not disabled trap that is in the way or at a lower level of control to avoid them bump into each other cause one with more movement speed finds a slower one in his path. then i unpause and everything happens precise as a swiss clockwork.

we all know that the original game pathfinding was far from perfect and that ee could improve it only to a certain extent, but even in the original we have all the means we need to have precise control on our toons movement.
    i hate to tell it, and i perfectly know that telling it will not make me loved, but the pathfinding problems imo are only l2p problems, on a very basic thing like moving our toons around. it is true for me, that use hard micromanaging, and is true for who likes a more point and click approach, they have only to click few more times if a long distance has to be traveled.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    edited April 2019
    Noisy midgets

Edit: but silent dwarves scare the crap out of me.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The fact that horses in the IE games can't move (even if you charm them you can't move them), even though horses are supposed to be quite good at moving.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    The fact that horses in the IE games can't move (even if you charm them you can't move them), even though horses are supposed to be quite good at moving.

They're all hobbled so wandering adventurers can't steal them to reduce their travel times...
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Tiny familiars with no hands can still pickpocket longlegged humanoids. That has never really made sense.. what do they do, jump up and swipe stuff out of the backpacks with their teeth?
    edited May 2019
    Skatan wrote: »
    Tiny familiars with no hands can still pickpocket longlegged humanoids. That has never really made sense.. what do they do, jump up and swipe stuff out of the backpacks with their teeth?

I can believe the ferret as pickpocket. Cat? Maybe. Rabbit? No way in Hell!

Edit: This cat for sure though...
    2n90drv9jd0j.png
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The fact that necromancers can't cast Animate Dead, the quintessential necromancy spell, until they reach level 9.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    The fact that necromancers can't cast Animate Dead, the quintessential necromancy spell, until they reach level 9.

Yeah but they can cast Chill Touch. Whoo hoo!!!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yeah! High five, @Balrog99!

b804wdg7vmr9.png
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    As a corollary to that, I have always been annoyed that you couldn't temporarily send party members to different locations on the map. For instance, to resupply during a dungeon run. I get the technical reasons for it, but it seems like something you should be able to do.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2019
    Charname: Hey boi, go get me a mug of cold mead from the Copper Coronet.
    Garrick: But.. but.. that's many miles away?
    Charname: I want it in a chilled mug.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Teleport spell: the shiny cool toy anyone but you uses on a regular basis.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    As a corollary to that, I have always been annoyed that you couldn't temporarily send party members to different locations on the map. For instance, to resupply during a dungeon run. I get the technical reasons for it, but it seems like something you should be able to do.

actually is possible, if EE does not nerf it, to have different party members in different areas, it is (or was) used in speed runs. you can not simply send them, particular tricks must be used, and it is not useful in a normal play trough.
    it is also possible to have some party members go into some sub areas alone, like in the planar prison with those bubbling flashy doors that lead to micro areas, or in other areas having only part of the party enter some houses, but it is prevented in other cases, like the area of kangaxx, where it could be useful to leave outside the room the not protected party members, but it is not possible.
    a thing that annoy me is that if charname is imprisoned or turned to stone it is game over, i see a RP reason if charname dies because of the bhaal essence, but an imprisoned or turned to stone person is not died, even if the game count as a kill if you do that to an enemy, he can be brought to the normal condition without a resurrecting spell, so there is no essence issue in those cases.