Skip to content

Little things that annoy you

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Even worse if you regularly play solo is the mechanic counting being charmed as fatal.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Teleport spell: the shiny cool toy anyone but you uses on a regular basis.

Ctrl-J is my friend.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited May 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    a thing that annoy me is that if charname is imprisoned or turned to stone it is game over, i see a RP reason if charname dies because of the bhaal essence, but an imprisoned or turned to stone person is not died, even if the game count as a kill if you do that to an enemy, he can be brought to the normal condition without a resurrecting spell, so there is no essence issue in those cases.

I agree completely, though it does leave the PC at the mercy of the rest of the party. They no longer have any agency in the matter. From a gameplay perspective, this might be difficult as well, as a party with no casters would be unable to free the PC. It would also break a lot of scripts as NPCs don't always talk to the party NPC that initiated dialog.

Still, I do think it sucks that there are no RP ways to recover from such things. A quick checklist before "game over" would fix it, though - do any of the party members have the capability of resolving the issue? If so, then give them a chance. If not, sad trombone.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    The Monk gear in ToB is behind 95 locked door, which Monk can't open.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Jan can do it, Hexxatt also, even imoen, if you make her drink enough booze, forget that she is a mage and can
    (booze = thieving potions :)
    if someone chose to run a party without a real thief he has to face the consequences that are
    1. a lot of fun less
    2. some doors can not be opened and some traps can not be disabled.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    histamiini wrote: »

And the Flail of Ages, the fighter reward from the fighter stronghold, is behind locked doors, locked chests, and a secret wall that a fighter can't open.

ThacoBell wrote: »

And the Flail of Ages, the fighter reward from the fighter stronghold, is behind locked doors, locked chests, and a secret wall that a fighter can't open.
    Fighters can get FoA just fine.

I just don't like how EE introduced Monk gear, but in a place they can't get. There's no logic in that, at least put a key to a boss or something.

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Even characters that can't detect traps can detect secret doors simply by standing around them for a little while.
    As in TOB is possible to get at least 2 thieves that can unlock for the monk i dont see the problem. For solo each class has its own challenges, and for a monk is much harder to survive at low level then to loose that stuff, if his solo pride does not allows him to ask the help of someone, even his
    sister
    for a single not combat action.
    @histamiini So a fighter can get through all those locks to get the flail heads?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @histamiini So a fighter can get through all those locks to get the flail heads?

With a potion or DUHM, I think so.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Raduziel wrote: »

With a potion or DUHM, I think so.

But he/she'll miss out on that juicy XP if the locks are just bashed!
    edited July 2019
    @ThacoBell Yeah Fighter can get through all of those doors and locks to get FoA +3, even without any strength buffs.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I've never had any problems getting to Flail of Ages.

Now Nalia occasionally not being able to pick the locks in her own house is just sad though.
    It's pretty clear the game was designed with a party in mind, so merely being able to solo is a remarkable achievement. Even if I reduced party size, I would still take a thief along for a variety of reasons.

Tragically, Nalia is a lousy thief - I tend to consider her a mage who dabbles in locks.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    It's pretty clear the game was designed with a party in mind, so merely being able to solo is a remarkable achievement.

Yes I've tried Soling in the past and I just can't enjoy it anyway. I need the party interaction for my game to have meaning hence why I downloaded as many banter packs and friendship mods as I could.

Speaking of which @LavaDelVortel I wanted to give your Minsc Friendship Mod a review. It's great and I highly recommend it to other players. I'm in Chapter 3 currently and the only major quest I've done is Windspear Hills but so far based on the wealth of conversation I've already had I'd give the mod a 7/10. I feel like that will likely get better as the game proceeds forward.

I also installed the Korgan Friendship, but he's not in my party for the current playthrough, perhaps that review will come another time.

@ThacoBell Yeah Fighter can get through all of those doors and locks to get FoA +3, even without any strength buffs.

Then shoulnd't a monk be able to get theirs? If a fighter can bash something, a monk should be able to as well.

Tragically, Nalia is a lousy thief - I tend to consider her a mage who dabbles in locks.
    indeed it is so. she has almost the same level as a single class mage and with the potions, that in the game can be stacked, is almost as good as a real thief when needed. she can also use a spell to open locks.
    i used her in many runs as thief and had never a real problem.
    she has a pretty decent str, so can carry loot, can use thief weapons and don't have the xp problem imoen has, pretty solid choice as a main arcane caster for a party that don't use a real thief for scouting, stabbing and trapping.

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    Speaking of which @LavaDelVortel I wanted to give your Minsc Friendship Mod a review. It's great and I highly recommend it to other players. I'm in Chapter 3 currently and the only major quest I've done is Windspear Hills but so far based on the wealth of conversation I've already had I'd give the mod a 7/10. I feel like that will likely get better as the game proceeds forward.

I also installed the Korgan Friendship, but he's not in my party for the current playthrough, perhaps that review will come another time.
    Thank you! the mod may actually be even nicer if you play as a mage (you may need quite high stats) and enjoy some special talks considering his role as a guardian of a witch. It is written mostly for female characters, but males may get such talks as well, but he would need greater stats AND Minsc still wouldn't call you his witch, but consider you more of a guide. I didn't want to bend Rashemi culture.

As for Korgan... well, with his it's quite different. You actually need to go to different pubs and taverns and drink with him to make him "open up" and talk about stuff. I didn't want all friendships to be exactly the same. And it's not a warm kind of friendship :P
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Then shoulnd't a monk be able to get theirs? If a fighter can bash something, a monk should be able to as well.

Some locks are unbashable I think. Theoretically a monk can get to 25 Strength with a Potion of Storm Giant Strength and DUHM from Bhaalspawn powers. That should get you into almost every locked door or chest. Of course without Ascension, you lose those powers before ToB...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Some locks are unbashable I think. Theoretically a monk can get to 25 Strength with a Potion of Storm Giant Strength and DUHM from Bhaalspawn powers. That should get you into almost every locked door or chest. Of course without Ascension, you lose those powers before ToB...

There are actually a lot of locks that can't be bashed with 25 strength (which is equivalent to 80% open locks skill). It's not of course unreasonable to include such locks in the game, but the original game was careful to ensure that there were no hard locks on the critical path - to allow the game to be completed without a thief. I think @histamiini's annoyance is not to do with the presence of such locks per se, but just putting one of them in front of newly added specific gear for monks - requiring a monk to employ a thief to get it.

A ToB monk could get to 25 strength using Blackrazor, even without access to DUHM.
    edited July 2019

I think so. It isn't in line with other Beamdog additions I don't think, like Bard gear etc. Well one other like the Monk gear would be the +3 arrows in Dragonspear Castle cave, which Archers can't get for Belhifet. Although Archers still can get few +3 arrows some other means, so it isn't bad as Monk gear in ToB, which don't make sense. It's even Rasaad guestline, so even he can't help a Monk to get it, because he's a Monk himself.

@histamiini That's because BG is built around unsing a party. By doing solo or challenge runs, you are accepting that certain things will be inaccessible.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    neera's romance timer being like 1 hour. had to use ee keeper to get afew to fire.
    gorgonzola wrote: »

indeed it is so. she has almost the same level as a single class mage and with the potions, that in the game can be stacked, is almost as good as a real thief when needed. she can also use a spell to open locks.
    i used her in many runs as thief and had never a real problem.
    she has a pretty decent str, so can carry loot, can use thief weapons and don't have the xp problem imoen has, pretty solid choice as a main arcane caster for a party that don't use a real thief for scouting, stabbing and trapping.

Oh, it didn't keep me from taking her right up to the point where the party left the mainland to get Imoen. They made do with potions, spells, and Jaheira's Find Traps ability. However, between the slight bit of metagaming (I know how she turns out in ToB) and comparing her to Imoen, it wasn't a tough call to leave her in the keep and pick up Yoshimo for the journey.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    On getting 25 Str with a monk, there's the Green Dragon Potion. You get five for bringing Wilson back to Zaviak; the effects are 25 Str, 3 Con, 3 Int, and Slow for 24 hours. Monks are immune to Slow, so they just get the stat changes.

It still won't be good enough for a 95 lock, but anything short of that works - and it's even a viable option for general combat.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Being forced to use Safana in SoD. (The alternative, playing blind without a rogue, is unacceptable)
    Her voice annoys the heck out of me.
    @Arvia
    I was never bothered by her voice but I agree that is absolutely unacceptable that we are forced to use Safana. Since Imoen is with the party anyway I think she should be able to join.

Or here's an alternative idea: Somebody should make a mod where Yoshimo is introduced in SOD instead of BG2. I know it would require a lot of work and coding (and probably for me to put in a few hours uninstalling my mods, installing Baldur's Gate Trilogy and re-installing my mods) but it would be worth it all.