Skip to content

Little things that annoy you

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited October 2016

One thing that bothers me is that, on these forums, the "Agree" button uses a smiley face and the "Like" button uses a thumbs up. It should be the other way around.

I think that thanks to Facebook, nowadays "Like" always reads like a thumbs up. As for "Agree", yes, maybe there could be another sign for that (but I don't see a way to change its look).

This is how the Vanilla explains it:

Insightful
    Insightful comments bring new information or perspective to the discussion and increase the value of the conversation as a whole.

Agree
    Users that agree with a post can give their option with this reaction.

A like is a general approval of a post. Enough likes will promote a post.

There're also such possible reactions (that can be activated), as:

Awesome
    Awesome posts amaze you. You want to repeat them to your friends and remember them later.

LOL
    For posts that make you "laugh out loud." Funny content is almost always good and is rewarded with points and promotion.

If you want to discuss these reactions, whether it's worth to add them, feel free to create a thread in https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/community-support, as this thread is not about Site resources.
    ButtercheesegorgonzolaSkatanCrevsDaak
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

Awesome
    Awesome posts amaze you. You want to repeat them to your friends and remember them later.

LOL
    For posts that make you "laugh out loud." Funny content is almost always good and is rewarded with points and promotion.

Please don't :neutral:
    Troodon80Ardullefreut
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The thing that annoys me most about the forum reactions is there's no way to sort them by most recent when I look at my profile. I sometimes see a jump in likes, but when I go to look to see what's getting the reaction, it isn't any of my recent posts, and there's no way to find which posts it was without paging through and hovering over the little icons to see the dates. I'm interested to find out what's getting these reactions, but I'm not THAT interested. It would be nice if I could just hit a sort button and see the most recent reactions at the top of the list.
    RodriangorgonzolaFinnTheHumanEmpyrial
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I suppose that this is a vanilla bug, a function not properly implemented, not the only one.
    I had the 1 year badge even if is less than 1 year that I am member, and I am sure of that, I did check the date of my first post, that was posted in the same day of the account activation. Vanilla seems to mess up with dates and chronology.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

I suppose that this is a vanilla bug, a function not properly implemented, not the only one.
    I had the 1 year badge even if is less than 1 year that I am member, and I am sure of that, I did check the date of my first post, that was posted in the same day of the account activation. Vanilla seems to mess up with dates and chronology.

Off topic from things in the game that annoy people, but it says August 25 for both the badge and the account creation (August 25, 2015, 7:27PM UTC for account creation).
    @Troodon80
    True, but my first post is in Jannuary 2016, and I am 100% sure that I did post the same day of the activation, or eventually the day after. I did not check the date of the email that I received from the boards at the activation, but if you need I don't think that I have deleted it, is still possible to double check tat way.

My point was that Vanilla seems to mess up with dates and chronology, and in that case is not the badge giving function that is bugged, is the account creation time that is messed up.

But, as I think better, when I did the registration the nick gorgonzola was first not accepted, as it was already existing. Then on a second try was accepted. I did check that no posts from gorgonzola existed, the counter on my account page was 0, and contacted the forum administrators, I believe @Dee, using a PM, and the answer was that no other gorgonzola existed and to use the account with no problem.
    So is possible that an other gorgonzola did the registration at August 25, 2015, 7:27PM UTC, and never posted, not before my registration, nor after, as I check routinely the partecipated page. But I suppose that the administrator should have found it, as I warned him exactly about that thing.
    I am also sure that I did read in the past of some other forumer telling that his real registration time is after the date shown in the profile, almost, not 100%.

So I think that the vanilla is somehow bugged when dealing with dates and chronology.
    The reactions problem posted by @BillyYank and the registration date posted by myself maybe are not due to the same bug, but show that the bugs are present.
    Maybe you can research more about it and report to Vanilla Forums developers, as it seems to me that is not a problem related to the settings and choices that you use, but to software bugs you are not responsible for.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @gorgonzola,

Oh, there are definitely bugs present in the forum code or on the host/server side. I was only commenting on the date—according to the date, the system logically says you're entitled to the badge. The granting of the badge on a given day isn't bugged. The bug would be in the input of the date into the SQL database. Each user is assigned a unique identification number. Mine is 12211. Your number is 59492. The two users either side of this, @sharmaprince811 and @BlackBottle, are both 8-Jan, so it's a given that your date would be the same. There are three other users whose dates are incorrect as well, though to a more extreme case. @Dzuk5 is an example.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzola
    So we are only 4 people with incorrect registration date, the case of the one with registration in 2002 is beyond extreme, he must have some divination powers to apply a registration request 10 years before the forum creation.
    3 people of the 4 have the 10 years membership badge, please give it also to me :smiley:
    But a bug that affects only 4 people, with little or no consequences is not important at all.
    Correcting the problem addressed by @BillyYank, if possible, would be useful.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Once I did RP a lawful good fighter Charname and as lawful good I did not loot anything from the D'Arnise keep. I was going to be the lord of the place anyway, so there was no reason to steal everything from a place that I was supposed to save from an invasion, not to spoil of everything valuable.
    Then after the battle was won and the stronghold obtained I looked into the containers, and everything had disappeared, as the area is a completely new one :smiley:
    I did not reload, even if I had a save and only to repeat the last battle.
    But I was not happy.

ouch
    gorgonzola
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2016
    If you play that way continuously the game does become more interesting because you get very little rewards and have to buy your weapons from vendors. And then you start to use the 'lesser' weapons and gear
    Post edited by lroumen on
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzolaCrevsDaak
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited October 2016
    I think we can all agree that Flail of Ages is overpowered for how easily and early you get it, and the Frostreaver Axe is almost as good, but otherwise, I'm not sure there's that much from the Keep that I'd miss. A few enchanted weapons to sell off, and that Orc Leather thing, but otherwise, eh.
    Giantkin now hits as +4 so for some that might be a good hammer until crom faeyr.
    D'arnise is more a gold mine. It nets you easy cash for early shopping or chapter progression.
    gorgonzolaCrevsDaak
    A bow with a very good thac0, and a boost once a day, really useful if you don't have someone with proficiency but you want to use an arrow of dispelling or with elemental damage for some reason.
    And the Ring of Earth Control, that stacks with a +1/+2 item or enchanted armor.
    Also, as I was not looting from chests and containers, but from enemies was fine, is a place where almost all the good things are not on enemies, only Glacias with a full plate and few potions.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    It was annoying how characters in the original Baldur's Gate made plenty of references to "demons" and "the Nine Hells" yet were determined not to reference "devils" or "the Abyss." As a result, you end up with very regrettable lines like:

"I've sparred with demons from the Nine Hells themselves! I shall barely break a sweat here today!"

It was annoying how characters in the original Baldur's Gate made plenty of references to "demons" and "the Nine Hells" yet were determined not to reference "devils" or "the Abyss." As a result, you end up with very regrettable lines like:

"I've sparred with demons from the Nine Hells themselves! I shall barely break a sweat here today!"

I never made that connection before. I'll now have to take a gander at Aec'Letec's flavor text to see if any more inane misattributions like that appear.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited April 2017
    @OlvynChuru Friendbane >:) , hehheh, that would be the cursed version of the Foebane I imagine (with the sword type, bastard sword, being appropriate I think) :)
    ThacoBellBalrog99Skatan
    edited April 2017
    Foeboon :). I guess any cursed item that gives your allies a bane is a sort of friendbane.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaakSkatan
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Nimran said:

Behold the mighty sword Foefriend! It heals my foes with every attack!

@Nimran Reminds me of a certain nicely hidden, hard to get (if you didn't know how) sword in BG. ;)
    ThacoBellCrevsDaakNimranSouplesse
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    It's kind of annoying when someone attacks you, you update your journal, and the journal entry acts as if you have already beaten them. Perhaps you're looking at your journal in the middle of the fight (to check the new journal entry).
    semiticgoddessMontresor_SP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

It's kind of annoying when someone attacks you, you update your journal, and the journal entry acts as if you have already beaten them. Perhaps you're looking at your journal in the middle of the fight (to check the new journal entry).

Now I keep picturing someone offhand backhanding their opponent batman style while reading their journal.
    Balrog99
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Lots of small things annoy me. Small rodent like dogs are just pointless. Meat style vegetarian products.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    SoD starting dungeon, it has become to me what chateau Irenicus is to others. It's not bad, it just doesn't hit the spot for me.
    batoor said:

SoD starting dungeon, it has become to me what chateau Irenicus is to others. It's not bad, it just doesn't hit the spot for me.

Word to the wise: invisibility 10' radius to sneak through the dungeon, then a Wand of Frost or similar blast attacks on Korlasz to get her to surrender quickly. You can be through the place in less than ten minutes.
    bleusteelbatoor