Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015
    Hehe, this is a thread about unpopular opinions! I would be surprised if everyone had agreed with me :)

But still, I will try to strenghten my case.
    FrdNwsm said:

Sorry, gotta disagree with you there. Helmets specifically cover just the head, protecting against critical head hits. To reflect protection that is one step up from this, a truly magical helm, like Balderan's, also is considered to raise your overall Ac by one. Since bracers clearly affect the entire body, they must generate an extensive force field capable of deflecting weapons. A force field covering that much surface area can only be made just so resilient, hence the cap on how high they can raise your base AC.

Bracers specifically cover just the forearms, and in the case of a mage, the hands and arms are used for movements when casting (some) spells, meaning you can't really expect to both deflect incoming blows with your arms, as well as, moving your hands and arms around to cast a spell. The helm could, in theory, just as well have an extensive force field like the one you mention bracers have. (edit: not that I am advocating this though)
    FrdNwsm said:

Robes are cloth; you can only toughen cloth robes up so much before they stiffen and resemble actual armor, thereby hindering arcane spell casting, which requires a certain amount of freedom of movement. (Clerical spells, which occur through petitioning a deity, are clearly exempt from this restriction, by virtue of divine dispensation).

The robes of an archmagi could for all we know be made of angel hair or the pubic hair of ogrillions with such a resiliance that both piercing and slashing weapons have a difficult time penetrating it. Also, it can be padded underneath to endure crushing blows. It's IMHO easier to embrace that idea than the idea that your forearms can defend your entire body and head.

All of this is "IMHO" meaning in my humble opinion. I understand not everyone agrees ofc.

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Man, that most be some good weed that you all are passing around.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Skatan said:

Francois said:

On a similar topic however I did some archery and I can say that 2 or 3 arrows in a round is totally unrealistic. Even when they were used in combat, six per minute was a fast rate. Even 1 arrow/round is pushing the limits of realism. They should reduce the rate of fire but make them more deadly.

2-3 ARP with a bow in six seconds is indeed quite unrealistic :) But if it's like @atcDave says, and one round is 6 seconds practically but reflects 60 seconds of "actual" time, I'd say 2-3 APR is quite low for a skilled archer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

Here's an example of fast shooting. I guess the accuracy and armor penetration would be very low using this tecnique, but still, getting the arrows in the air is indeed possible at a very high rate. Doing this with a proper longbow though, that is another story ;) And heavy crossbows ofc cannot be reloaded that quick
    you don't need armour penetration if you can shoot someone accurately in the face. Asian archers were able to put out 3 arrows in less than 2 seconds (years of training) while retaining accuracy. Puts a whole different take on realism.

I'd say realism is slow draw to armoured/helmed foes and fast draw to leather or unarmoured foes.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    Made me think of this video of a Danish Archer, who can fire arrows with astounding accuracy and speed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk
    Honestly, only character I ever rushed to was... Do I even need to say it?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I like characters with low charisma not for the fact that they were dumpstatted to make an overpowered protagonist but rather as fuel for party members to start bad mouthing one another.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    elminster said:

Dragons are overutilized in BG2.

Kinda with you here big L.
    I love a good dragon battle (they're probably my favourite element of fantasy settings), but by the time you hit the throne it feels like you've dropped about a dozen... Familiarity breeding contempt and all...
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Ranger/clerics is an awful class.
    abacus said:

elminster said:

Kinda with you here big L.
    I love a good dragon battle (they're probably my favourite element of fantasy settings), but by the time you hit the throne it feels like you've dropped about a dozen... Familiarity breeding contempt and all...
    Have you tried not killing dragons?
    elminster said:

Despite what some might think what I'm about to say... There is far too much Dragon killing in this game.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    There are far too many dragons for such a small area. A little culling is necessary.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grum said:

Dragons should just step on people! ^-^ Or roll on them! Dragons fight with a handicap in BG2. >:(

Dragons should leave small enclosed spaces. Then fly up high and breathe fire on people.

"I have a sword! And...I can't reach the dragon..."
    Seriously every freaking Dragon has wings, but I haven't seen a single one fly!
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    edited September 2015

Viconia is the most effective 'tank' in the game, followed shortly thereafter by Jaheira.

Have you ever tried >random mage<?
    Yeah, having the ability to fly and then fighting in a cave is like being invisible, but only choosing to fight in really foggy areas...
    Yamcha said:

Viconia is the most effective 'tank' in the game, followed shortly thereafter by Jaheira.

Have you ever tried >random mage<?</p>
    Dispell, breach, >any defense removing spell.<
    edited September 2015

Yamcha said:

Have you ever tried >random mage<?</p>
    Dispell, breach, >any defense removing spell.<</p>
    Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Spell Immunity: Divination, Improved Invisibility... then just slap down Protection from Weapons every 4 rounds until your mates have killed them all... Without SCS, the AI just cannot cope with a well used Mage.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    abacus said:

Without SCS, the AI just cannot cope with a well used Mage.

Thats fine, most players have the same issue :wink:
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I like that Viconia's romanced ending is still rather sad: Viconia's entire story is solemn and fraught with tribulations, and it would feel dishonest to do away with that sentiment in her ending. At least in her romance ending, however, there is a bittersweetness about how her story ends. Very fitting.