Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's a judgment call, and not a perfect science.

(That being said, if you see something that seems way out of bounds and no moderators are stepping in, there's a good chance they haven't seen it. Why not report the post to make sure someone at least knows it's there?)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Dee said:

It's a judgment call, and not a perfect science.

(That being said, if you see something that seems way out of bounds and no moderators are stepping in, there's a good chance they haven't seen it. Why not report the post to make sure someone at least knows it's there?)

Nark!
    :)
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Almateria said:

Perhaps the most unpopular opinion of all... I've never had any, nor have I ever understood, fondness towards the shorty races.

Close your eyes
    And imagine

The rest of this post has been removed, as it violates the site's PG-13 policy. Keep it clean, folks.
    Too late; we all have read it ... and the image won't go away! Arg, my eyes!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

I'm never really sure what the boundaries are here. I've gotten away with a pretty heavily erotic description of the final battle with Irenicus in my Phase Spider run, and a lot of more subtle innuendo from my other runs and posts.

Granted, most of my innuendo is metaphorical or implied, rather than explicit or graphic, but then we have the other stuff, like the

@DragonKing, Viconia, and Phaere tentacle rod session
    or the
    Pai'Na, Dorn, @Buttercheese, Blackrazor, @Dee, Big Metal Unit, Yxunomei, and @Blackraven Oil of Speed-boosted Slayer form no-reload cuddle puddle
    in Uncle Fralin's tool shed.
    I never made that tentacle rod association. I always assumed it was illithid-y....
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    FrdNwsm said:

Almateria said:

Perhaps the most unpopular opinion of all... I've never had any, nor have I ever understood, fondness towards the shorty races.

Close your eyes
    And imagine

The rest of this post has been removed, as it violates the site's PG-13 policy. Keep it clean, folks.
    Too late; we all have read it ... and the image won't go away! Arg, my eyes!
    I missed it :(
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Sorry, guys
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    T2av said:

I absolutely HATE Minsc and have never taken him. He's annoying and deserves to be killed on sight; with a hot fiery itchy death... Or a backstab.. That works well too.

and

I really wish BG had dragonborns in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-0EZ_czWA

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited September 2015
    Unpopular Opinion (maybe?): I like to apply current Faerun lore to Baldur's Gate and IWD such as gnomes being Fey.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    There should've been a way to save Phaere, I felt empty inside just letting her die..

Viconia, and PhaerePhaere should've had a shower scene, or pillow fight, or chocolate wrestling scene. It would've been quite critical to the underdark honestly and would've been plot important

Viconia, Sendai, and Phaere... That is all!
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

There should've been a way to save Phaere, I felt empty inside just letting her die..

Viconia, and PhaerePhaere should've had a shower scene, or pillow fight, or chocolate wrestling scene. It would've been quite critical to the underdark honestly and would've been plot important

Might I interest you in an epic fantasy novel by Philip Athans?
    Almateria said:

Might I interest you in an epic fantasy novel by Philip Athans?
    Are dragons being slain or treated like mindless beast in this novel?
    They are hella slain.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @DragonKing: Have you ever read Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen? It was one of my favorite books as a kid, and they spoiled me for dragons in other universes. The dragons in Dragon's Blood were so much more impressive than the ones I encountered in other books.

I remember one book--Dragon's Milk?--where the dragons were absolutely pathetic. Their bellies were so soft they were known to kill themselves by dragging themselves over a sharp rock, and dragonslayers were unarmored guys with pointy swords who just danced up and poked them. The absolute worst cliche about dragons is that a nimble warrior could just dodge all the claws and teeth and tails and fire, and kill the dragon without taking a scratch. Worse yet, the dragons in this book were easily disabled with flute music, and a team of crossbowmen and flutists could easily kill a whole pack of dragons with no risk at all.

Contrast that with Dragon's Blood, where the dragons had razor-sharp scales that could only be cut by diamonds or dragon claws, they communicated telepathically, they were terribly intelligent, and such was the intensity of their heat that even their blood was boiling hot, and burned to the touch.

BG2 didn't disappoint. The dragons in BG2 are giant, beautiful, and dangerous.
    @semiticgod
    That actually sounds familiar
    edited September 2015
    Dragons are overra...t... yea I can't even say that as a joke.

Dragons are underrated!
    edited September 2015
    I'm about to say the greatest unpopular opinion of all time in any game, single or multiplayer.

F* THE META!

There's no need for a strong language on this forum
    edited September 2015
    I can't stand Minsc. In BG he is psychotic; if you decline to go on his mission to rescue what's her name, he goes berserk and attacks you.

In SoA, his personality was modified; now he is just insane, with a perverted hamster fetish. I suspect we're supposed to find him "endearingly eccentric", but this fails miserably. He and Aerie deserve each other; she is even more annoying than he is. I use them early on because there isn't anyone else; as soon as Keldorn and Neera become available, they both get the simultaneous boot.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but IMHO shields adds way, way to little AC boost. A shield should add as much as a platemail, if not more. You could go into battle pretty much naked, wielding only a shield and a weapon and still be better off then someone wearing full leather armor all over weilding two weapons. Make it hurt to replace the shield with an offhand weapon or use twohanded weapons, sacrificing survivability for DPR.

Bracers of defence are ridiculous and I don't use them. The very idea of avoiding arrows and blows by having a bit of leather on your forearms is so ludicrous I cannot fathom where that idea even generated from.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Shields should boost AC and armour should reduce the damage, then such system would work perfectly. Bracers are magic items, so it's difficult to make it logical. It's just a way to make mages have some sort of defense item, other than robe.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Tuth said:

Shields should boost AC and armour should reduce the damage, then such system would work perfectly. Bracers are magic items, so it's difficult to make it logical. It's just a way to make mages have some sort of defense item, other than robe.

Mages have spells to defend themselves with. If they rely on bracers of def to avoid being hit, they are doing something wrong. If bracers of defence can set your base AC to 3, then why not use that same technique for a a full plate mail? Then it should be 10 times more effective then just the bracers and set your base AC to -30.

I'm joking of course, but if a helmet cannot add more than -1 AC, bracers shouldn't really either, magical or not. Even the best robes in the game doesn't set your base AC as low as bracers (5 vs 3), and they still cover most/all of your body.
    edited September 2015
    Skatan said:
    " if a helmet cannot add more than -1 AC, bracers shouldn't really either, magical or not"

Get thee behind me, Skatan!

Sorry, gotta disagree with you there. Helmets specifically cover just the head, protecting against critical head hits. To reflect protection that is one step up from this, a truly magical helm, like Balderan's, also is considered to raise your overall Ac by one. Since bracers clearly affect the entire body, they must generate an extensive force field capable of deflecting weapons. A force field covering that much surface area can only be made just so resilient, hence the cap on how high they can raise your base AC.

Robes are cloth; you can only toughen cloth robes up so much before they stiffen and resemble actual armor, thereby hindering arcane spell casting, which requires a certain amount of freedom of movement. (Clerical spells, which occur through petitioning a deity, are clearly exempt from this restriction, by virtue of divine dispensation).

Both Drow and surface elves are capable of making chain mail far more flexible than that which less skilled races can produce, which is why you can cast spells wearing it, assuming that you are capable of using such a thing. Making plate mail flexible enough to permit arcane spell casting is apparently beyond the metallurgic skills of any race.
    Post edited by FrdNwsm on