Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Unpopular opinions

16791112123

Comments

  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,851
    Nimran said:

    You can save the boy in DA:O in two possible ways: free the mage in the jail and keep him around, and he will show up to use blood magic to save the boy, sacrificing the mother. The other possible way is to do the mage quest line first and save the mages. You can then go back to the Circle to request their aid in saving the boy. This option will save both the boy and his mother, and will gain you some approval from Alistair instead of disapproval. Both of these options will bring one of your mages, the apostate, or the first enchanter into the Fade to fight the demon. If you send Morrigan, she will disapprove slightly. The two non-party mages will require a persuade check to convince them to enter the Fade.


    I actually kinda like those kinds of choices, too.
    My personal favorite, sleep with every desire demon I come across.

    FlashburnJuliusBorisov
  • AionZAionZ Member Posts: 3,155
    I managed to solo the fight with Wynne (admittedly, Wynne is also quite overpowered). I think the most ridiculous part of that quest was how if you kill Connor, Alistair says you should have sacrificed his mother, but if you do that, he still gets mad at you.

  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,417
    This is what happened in my first run of the game in that situation.
    [Spoiler] SOOOOOO my mage was friends with the Blood Mage guy because he's in the mage origin story and I tried to help him do a thing. Anyway, so I broke him out and got to the kid and his mom was like AMG SAVE MY SON QQQQQ so I went and got the mage circle, entered the fade myself and confronted the demon! Because I had maxed out the persuasion skill I was able to convince the demon to grant me BLOOD MAGIC and leave the boy's body! I did the good thing and gained blood magic. Psshtt, and they say blood mages are evil. My Blood Mage was a straight up good character, no evil in him at all. [/spoiler]

    NonnahswriterEmpyrialBelgarathMTHMalicron
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848
    Grum said:

    Nimran said:

    You can save the boy in DA:O in two possible ways: free the mage in the jail and keep him around, and he will show up to use blood magic to save the boy, sacrificing the mother. The other possible way is to do the mage quest line first and save the mages. You can then go back to the Circle to request their aid in saving the boy. This option will save both the boy and his mother, and will gain you some approval from Alistair instead of disapproval. Both of these options will bring one of your mages, the apostate, or the first enchanter into the Fade to fight the demon. If you send Morrigan, she will disapprove slightly. The two non-party mages will require a persuade check to convince them to enter the Fade.


    I actually kinda like those kinds of choices, too.
    Thanks for that!

    I completely missed that way. I'm doing a (surprise, surprise) dwarf warrior run. He killed the mage in the cell, so that shut down that path. I guessed that the mages there could help, but it seemed to be irresponsible to allow the demon to recover and keep killing innocents just to allow one child to live.

    And does that mean your mage has to solo the demon? It was quite a handful for my entire party.


    Yes, but the demon is also alone in the Fade, meaning no swarm of undead, just the demon. The fight in the Fade was designed for a solo character, whereas the fight in the castle was designed for a party.


    :smile:

  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,133
    Staying off topic with some more DA:O..

    I loved that quest in DA:O, but nothing beats Orgrimmmar and the choices one have to make there. My dwarf noble rogue was quite resentful of his brother for a long, long time. Doing what he could to stop him from gaining power up to the very end when he realized that his brother's more progressive view on the dwarves position in the world and the sanctity of the family name forced him into, in the end, supporting his brothers claim for the throne. I loved how one could still keep that choice open all the way through the story progression up until the very last moment. Truly well-written and intruiging.

    DragonspearBelgarathMTH
  • semiticgodsemiticgod Member, Moderator Posts: 14,381
    I played Dragon Age before I got bored and went back to BG2.

    JuliusBorisovElendar
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,417

    I played Dragon Age before I got bored and went back to BG2.

    I loved Dragon Age: Origins but cannot stand Inquisition. Actually.

    Unpopular Opinion: Bioware has been going downhill in terms of quality with their games. All of my friends praise Inquisition as the best game ever and I'm like, "Neverwinter Night's OC was more interesting- WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES ARE MORE INTERESTING THAN CORYPHEUS!"
    Poor PC controls and a super easy Nightmare mode made me cry for the days of old. I can barely beat Baldur's Gate on the normal! XD

    I do love Sera though. She's adorable. Even if she did reject my elfy elf mage 'cause he was male QQ.

    Also, @bengoshi , thanks for the link! That was an interesting listen. @58:50 the question about more modern RPGs being "action-y" made me realize that I actually heavily dislike modern RPGs despite growing up on them (I do feel as though I'm pretty young on these forums being only 21). I love getting in deep with rulesets and number-crunching as well as more slow combat that allows full control of a party as opposed to LEFT CLICK HARDER AND SPAM MY 1-9 KEYS FOR SPELLS!

    JuliusBorisovNonnahswriterBelgarathMTH
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,133
    edited September 2015
    bengoshi said:

    During the RPG panel at PAX Prime 2015, the developers were asked what tropes they would ban.

    Annie Mitsoda (DoubleBear): Waking up in jail.

    Swen Vinke (Larian Studios): Collect-a-thons.

    Adam Heine (inXile): Fighting rats, bats, snakes, spiders.

    Mitch Gitelman (Harebrained Schemes): Breaking barrels, and bikini armor.

    Judging by other games, these seem to be unpopular opinions.

    I fully agree to all of these (except fighting spiders), but I guess in this forum many do.

    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 20,828
    Just a note: "Skatan's Post edited by bengoshi at 2:54PM" - I've fixed it breaking the page with [ /spoiler ] left.

    Back to the topic.

    On those playthroughs I don't change NPCs' starting proficiencies I prefer to give Minsc a mace and not a two-handed sword.

    SkatanNimran
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,851
    Say something negative about jade empire and I'll stab you!

    Wait...

    I think I'm doing this wrong again.

    SmilingSword
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848
    bengoshi said:

    Just a note: "Skatan's Post edited by bengoshi at 2:54PM" - I've fixed it breaking the page with [ /spoiler ] left.

    Back to the topic.

    On those playthroughs I don't change NPCs' starting proficiencies I prefer to give Minsc a mace and not a two-handed sword.

    I mean, he has two pips in TWS, so...

    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

    Unpopular opinions? Let's see...

    Ranger/Clerics are fun because they're broken.


    Not anymore. :neutral:
    they are with a minor tweak to undo the change ;)

  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848

    I find the descriptions of special weapons/armor more interesting than reading books

    This is why book stores are going out of business.

    GrumJuliusBorisovQuartz
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

    Nimran said:

    I find the descriptions of special weapons/armor more interesting than reading books

    This is why book stores are going out of business.
    Then they should start selling spellbooks, those never go out of style.
    Well...discount stores that sell spells like color spray might not do too well...

    JuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848
    Grum said:

    Nimran said:

    I find the descriptions of special weapons/armor more interesting than reading books

    This is why book stores are going out of business.
    Then they should start selling spellbooks, those never go out of style.
    Well...discount stores that sell spells like color spray might not do too well...
    "Taste the rainbow, fools!" With a one-liner like that, how could you not want to buy it?

    DragonKingronaldo
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 782
    bengoshi said:

    Neverused said:

    There doesn't ever seem to be time to do side quests if you're roleplaying it out as a Good character, or even one that has, y'know, SOME sort of empathy for a childhood friend. (Oh! I have 15k gold already! I need to go save the only child I knew growing up in Candlekeep.)

    I think there is a way to role-play skipping going for Imoen "right off", even if your character is Good. I would use this logic: look, we've been seriously beaten by the Mencar's band of thugs, how on Earth can we go for Imoen? We would hardly survive dealing with Cowled Wizards and/or somebody similar. If we go there now, we would simply fail and instead of helping Imoen, we would only worsen the situation.

    With this logic, my Good character would go and get experience first.
    Yeah, this is the one possibility. The thing I don't like about this one is that there seems to be the meta(?) knowledge that killing things = EXP = levels. I mean, the concepts might be known within a D&D world. Or perhaps the idea is to get more gold for better equipment and spells; that's also feasible, I suppose. Thanks!

  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited September 2015
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    I started a second run of BG2:EE. I'm in Ch 2 and bored as Hell. The suspense is all gone, I know everything that's going to happen, and even playing a totally different character class doesn't pique my interest.

    I think ahead to the endless Chapters lying in wait, think to myself "I CAN'T go through all that again", and start playing Torchlight II with the "all females nude" mod. BG2 isn't worth a second run-through ...
    although if they came through with a mod like that, maybe it would be.

    Quartz
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,308
    FrdNwsm said:

    I started a second run of BG2:EE. I'm in Ch 2 and bored as Hell. The suspense is all gone, I know everything that's going to happen, and even playing a totally different character class doesn't pique my interest.

    I think ahead to the endless Chapters lying in wait, think to myself "I CAN'T go through all that again", and start playing Torchlight II with the "all females nude" mod. BG2 isn't worth a second run-through ...
    although if they came through with a mod like that, maybe it would be.

    Well, enjoy them sexy pixels...

    VallmyrGrumQuartz
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,417
    Unpopular Opinion: Anomen is adorable as hell. I blame my new-found thoughts on this on @deltago 's version of him over on the RP thread. I want to take him in my next BG2:EE run after SoD.

    NonnahswriterGrumJuliusBorisov
Sign In or Register to comment.