Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    You're right it's 1 minute in the real 2E, although according to the BG manual it's 6sec per round because of time reduction.

I like your explanation and I guess HP represents the corrolary. A high level warrior is not more resistant to wounds compared to level 1, he is just better able to deflect a killing blow into a minor injury.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Francois said:

You're right it's 1 minute in the real 2E, although according to the BG manual it's 6sec per round because of time reduction.

I like your explanation and I guess HP represents the corrolary. A high level warrior is not more resistant to wounds compared to level 1, he is just better able to deflect a killing blow into a minor injury.

Exactly, that was the explicit justification for hit points in the PnP rules. Each of those hits are just nicks and scratches that wear you down until you get into the 1HD range, then you're really getting hurt.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    It's funny though, I always explain HP that way to my new players, but it doesn't quite work so well to explain healing ("why do I need such heavy healing if I still have 20 HP left?" " Well those 40 you lost really wore you out...")

It does make perfect sense in combat though. Otherwise we'd need some rule for diminished hitting power as you got injured or something.
    Abstractions are great for keeping the system fairly simple, but sometimes the justification gets tricky.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited September 2015
    >Otherwise we'd need some rule for diminished hitting power as you got injured or something. <

There's an MMORPG I play where this exact thing happens. Too much blood loss and your attack rating drops; too much damage to a limb and you can lose the use of it. Damage occurs to one of 12 body parts, and you can aim an attack to try to hit a specific area, provided you have trained well enough in the relevant skills. (An axe or maul hit to the head is often an instant kill; an arrow to the eye is even more deadly).

There are, of course, armors designed to prevent such things from happening; padded helms and the like. But if you are really, really, really good, you can stick something like a misericorde through the helm's visor slits.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Way too much trouble for PnP...
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    The whole HP abstraction also prevents the "trapping a giant by its foot and stab him in the thumb with a dagger repeatedly until he runs out of HPs and dies."

Yeah, I've seen this.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Francois said:

Skatan said:

Well, as I also previously stated, there is no evidence whatsoever that this would be case when dual weilding. No reenactors, HEMA practitoners or those studying old combat manifests have ever (AFAIK) been able to support that notion.

I have no competence in the field, so I'll check the videos when I have some time.

On a similar topic however I did some archery and I can say that 2 or 3 arrows in a round is totally unrealistic. Even when they were used in combat, six per minute was a fast rate. Even 1 arrow/round is pushing the limits of realism. They should reduce the rate of fire but make them more deadly.

Uh, maybe you're just a bad archer? Six arrows per minute is dang slow
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Back to the topic of unpopular opinions:

I think that the best items should be sold (or created by smiths) rather than found. It acually feels more like an accomplishment to go out, kill, pillage and plunder until you have enough gold to buy that one, specific item, than just going out to a field and digging up the best armor in the game. Sure, finding Carsomyr on the carcass of a slain dragon is indeed epic, but to much great gear can be found too easily.

• YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Skatan said:

Back to the topic of unpopular opinions:

I think that the best items should be sold (or created by smiths) rather than found. It acually feels more like an accomplishment to go out, kill, pillage and plunder until you have enough gold to buy that one, specific item, than just going out to a field and digging up the best armor in the game. Sure, finding Carsomyr on the carcass of a slain dragon is indeed epic, but to much great gear can be found too easily.

BG has a good mix (unlike the elder scrolls games), you can buy pretty good stuff (Rynn's +4, hill giant belt, etc. ) but you dont have the funds, or the gold is needed elsewhere.

Sure, with all your meta knowledge, you already know where to get the best loot so you may skip those. But still, those games had it right.
    So did F1+2
    edited September 2015
    Almateria said:

Francois said:

On a similar topic however I did some archery and I can say that 2 or 3 arrows in a round is totally unrealistic. Even when they were used in combat, six per minute was a fast rate. Even 1 arrow/round is pushing the limits of realism. They should reduce the rate of fire but make them more deadly.

Uh, maybe you're just a bad archer? Six arrows per minute is dang slow
    Six arrows a minute is the pace of a unit of longbow archers firing volleys. They would take it slower to keep everyone firing together and so they wouldn't tire out too fast.
    Post edited by BillyYank on
    Well okay, that would make sense.
    Doesn't mean I'm not faster AND cooler 8-)
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Skatan said:

Francois said:

2-3 ARP with a bow in six seconds is indeed quite unrealistic :) But if it's like @atcDave says, and one round is 6 seconds practically but reflects 60 seconds of "actual" time, I'd say 2-3 APR is quite low for a skilled archer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

Here's an example of fast shooting. I guess the accuracy and armor penetration would be very low using this tecnique, but still, getting the arrows in the air is indeed possible at a very high rate. Doing this with a proper longbow though, that is another story ;) And heavy crossbows ofc cannot be reloaded that quick

Regarding dual weilding:

Here's schola gladiodoria's opinion on the matter (8 min's, ~3 minutes in). Summary, dual wield was not used for actual battle but may have been used for classroom fencing etc (europe). It was used in parts of asia, like katana+wakizashi.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNZyhNFSaE

Here's lindybeige's opinion on the matter. To be frank, I'm not sure about his background but most of the stuff he posts seem to be based on his reenactment and also just common sense and logic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJBEDxh0RQw

There's many others as well, all quite interresting but none I've found so far that supports the idea of higher APR with two weapons.

Both those guys are great. Lindy and schola.. Another is skallagrim.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Francois said:

Skatan said:

2-3 ARP with a bow in six seconds is indeed quite unrealistic :) But if it's like @atcDave says, and one round is 6 seconds practically but reflects 60 seconds of "actual" time, I'd say 2-3 APR is quite low for a skilled archer.

Longbows used in battle had a lot more pull than modern competition bows (100 pounds or more while modern Olympic athletes rarely use more than 50 lb). For a medieval soldier, shooting 3 arrows in a minute was like lifting 100 pounds and holding it very carefully three time. While it is possible to shoot faster, with a 100lb bow you would tire very quickly and after a few volleys your aim would be all over the place.
    True, but a longbow was most of the times used to fire volleys to an area, not a single target. So extremely accurate aim wasn't really needed. IMHO, using a longbow as in BG/IWD isn't very likely since it's not its forte. A longbow in BG/IWD is just like the longswords, a lot smaller/shorter than they were in real life so we can't really apply real life usage on the in-game versions unfortunately. I guess we have to interpret longbows as just slightly larger bows than shortbows rather than a real life longbow.

Realism is overrated. There, I said it.

I think it was 3rd edition where "cinematic" became the watchword. Dual-wielding is awesome because Hollywood and Hong Kong say it's awesome. Now get out there and fire your crossbow one-handed while swinging from the chandelier!
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Everyone talking about pnp rpg and I'm here like, "man... That ass on Viconia."

Also I hope the new DnD game follows dark alliance's formula.
    When playing Mage/sorceror Mage/multi.

I absolutely never use Haste, Stoneskin,PfMW,mantle, absolute immunity, spell triggers, time stop, project image and simulacrum; as I find these ‘cheap'
    edited September 2015

Perhaps the most unpopular opinion of all... I've never had any, nor have I ever understood, fondness towards the shorty races.

Close your eyes
    And imagine

The rest of this post has been removed, as it violates the site's PG-13 policy. Keep it clean, folks.
    Post edited by Dee on
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited September 2015

Almateria said:

Perhaps the most unpopular opinion of all... I've never had any, nor have I ever understood, fondness towards the shorty races.

The rest of this post has been removed, as it violates the site's PG-13 policy. Keep it clean, folks.
    NOOO, WHAT WAS SAID? I MUST KNOW!!!
    INORITE
    IF ONLY I HAD CHECKED THE FORUMS EARLIER QQ

Edit: also shorty races are great because they are tiny and adorable.
    I absolutely HATE Minsc and have never taken him. He's annoying and deserves to be killed on sight; with a hot fiery itchy death... Or a backstab.. That works well too.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited September 2015
    I'm never really sure what the boundaries are here. I've gotten away with a pretty heavily erotic description of the final battle with Irenicus in my Phase Spider run, and a lot of more subtle innuendo from my other runs and posts.

Granted, most of my innuendo is metaphorical or implied, rather than explicit or graphic, but then we have the other stuff, like the
    @DragonKing, Viconia, and Phaere tentacle rod session
    or the
    Pai'Na, Dorn, @Buttercheese, Blackrazor, @Dee, Big Metal Unit, Yxunomei, and @Blackraven Oil of Speed-boosted Slayer form no-reload cuddle puddle
    in Uncle Fralin's tool shed.