Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

And, I'm guessing you will be waiting a long time for Apple to open up iOS apps to modding.

The situation is completely stupid. Why can we email ourselves .gam/.sav files, but not .tlk/.itm/.spl?? Why can't the app recognize such files and route them to the right place?

I have a "briefcase" app that you can load up with files of many arbitrary types - .pdf, .docx, etc. - and it can actually perform operations on those files, to read and edit them. Dropbox and a host of other apps can do the same thing. As long as it's happening in the App's sandbox, what's the risk? Why are these apps unable to have the same privileges?

Grumble, sigh.
    @subtledoctor - Looks like I may be wrong! The Beamdog site has downloadable .pstoverride files. Perhaps this functionality will come to the other EEs on iOS? :sunglasses:

(Still may not allow overriding the dialog.tlk)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    That comment section though. Looks like its not going to matter what Beamdog does ever again.
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65
    Any idea on iOS release date? And don't say "soon." ;-)
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Flashburn said:

That comment section though. Looks like its not going to matter what Beamdog does ever again.
    Yeah, but the Likes are winning now !!
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    So now I am counting down to mid April when it comes out. One countdown follows another...
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    well if it is just a ui update. and i'm saying ui update nicely as it just seems to be just putting the wheel menu buttons on tool bar.

and seems to be not adding much. i might pass on this. as unlike the baldurs gate ee where it preety much replaced the originals. there is nothing really screaming at me to get this as i have the original already.

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    beamdog has to comment every time people complain that this is a remaster. nothing is being added.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Hey, it got me to clear my agenda so instead of that holiday I now really have time to play
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    mlnevese said:

*checks if we have a rule about people posting drunk*
    *discovers there isn't one*

Well nothing to see here... move on...

Right, I'll get out some apricot brandy. I made it using my grandmother's old Prohibition-era recipe. First, younsteal the apricots, ...

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Still i wouldn't like a KOTOR II EE. I don't want to hear Avellone/Kreya preaching about how childish the SW franchise is again with HD graphics.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707

well if it is just a ui update. and i'm saying ui update nicely as it just seems to be just putting the wheel menu buttons on tool bar.

They recreated the UI at a much higher resolution, so the buttons etc. are all bigger now.

And there are a whole bunch of other technical improvements and convenience changes – they're listed in the What does PST:EE offer over the original version with multiple mods? entry in the FAQ.

I, for one, am really happy with that list of changes. My least favorite things about the original game were:
    • The annoying radial menu.
    • The tiny UI elements (even with Ghostdog's UI mod).
    • The tiny fonts (there was a mod for this too, but if I remember correctly it only increased the font size in some places and not others, and it was cumbersome because you had to choose the font size at install time).
    • Some bugginess, and slower loading times than the other IE games.
    • No native Linux support. (Running under Wine worked, but excacerbated some of the bugginess.)
    It appears that the EE has fixed all of that, and done it properly.

Getting the general EE quality of life improvements (quick-loot bar, highlighting of known spells in stores, etc.) is just icing on the cake...

The only one I'm having mixed feelings about, is the addition of TAB highlighting for containers. I always thought the original developers intentionally omitted that in this particular game, since they wanted to reward thorough exploration and attention to detail.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Sooooooooo........ What's next :) ?
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    ineth said:

The only one I'm having mixed feelings about, is the addition of TAB highlighting for containers. I always thought the original developers intentionally omitted that in this particular game, since they wanted to reward thorough exploration and attention to detail.

You don't *have* to press TAB in the game... ;) In the BG EE's I barely use it myself, but I'm glad it's there for those warehouses with hundreds of crates, not every one being a real container.

And maybe it's even possible to de-assign the function from the key?
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited March 2017
    I don't even remember to use the quick loot function most of the time...Moving around and looting stuff manually is so common that nothing else even occurs to me.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I'm the same I suppose. As long as I can tab and see everything, that's my preferred method.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I just want a toggle button functionality. I don't care if it's tab.