Skip to content

Would you pay for a custom Baldur's Gate style portrait?

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @FinneousPJ
    That is true in theory, but in practicality it leaves out the part where too many people don't see art as a craft that takes years and decades of practice, but as a hobby. When someone starts complaining about minimum wage being "too expensive" it's a huge blow against the artist. It happens constantly. I just know too many artists who seriously suffer from this mentality as to not call it out for being the problem that it is.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Your argument holds no water what so ever.

So, Thales was wrong that everything is water? Maybe the argument holds fire, then, as Heraclitus would say? Or mayhap some other magical uniform substance that transcends all? The hell do I know :smirk:

It may be that, like you said, income in different countries is different. Makes sense. I can further say that you could find people within your country such that 'live well' in spite of having income with a less impressive number of digits than this amount commonly seen as prerequisite to 'living well', as well as those who 'live well' with no income at all, and even those who struggle with 'living well' in spite of holding assets worth billions upon billions of euros. The universe can sometimes be fun like that.

Also, I can make a BG2 style portrait for you if you want one, @Buttercheese.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I did my maths on google and 200 DEM would be £85.50 in sterling.

It's not too far away from what I thought. It will only take a quick change in the exchange rate for me to be in a position of becoming an art benifactor.

However, for this I would expect a suggestive wink on my signed photo. And you would need to wear the hat... You know the one @Buttercheese ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @Shandyr

You usually get a step by step progress report that you can request changes to.

First would be picture used and sizing. With the artist cropping to the dimensions.

Next would be a line draw or a sketch which adds in elements not found in the picture (such as the person holding a sword, or wearing a crown).

Next would be colouring, followed by shading and lighting.

Through out the process, the person buying the piece can ask for changes (CaN I be holding a flail instead of a sword) while or before the work is being done, but once its past a stage, it is finalized. (You know, I think I'd prefer the third picture of me instead, can you redo it all).

This allows the buyer to see the work and not be surprised when they recieve it. If the artist is smart, each step would have ots own price, so if the buyer backs out before it is done, they can at least get something for the work they put in.
    deltago said:

That is only true for some mediums, such as cell-shading.
    Painting works differently.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

That is only true for some mediums, such as cell-shading.
    Painting works differently.
    That's kinda why I bunched them all together. Anyways, the artist will/should tell you when they are going to provide a WIP for approval.

And I will stop stalking you @Buttercheese. I recieved the restraining order. :tongue:
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

This part may sound weird to some, but unless you have been friends with the artist beforehand, try to be professional please. Don't act like they are your friend, don't hit on them and most importantly don't ask them uncomfortable questions like "how long exactly is your hair" or stalk them on Steam :neutral:

I hope that helps :V

Does this mean no signed photo in the hat?

And... @Buttercheese I... Sometimes forget that English is a second language for you... My previous post was sent completely innocently but now worried that you read a completely different meaning due to the unfortunate coincidence that certain words sound similar. If you read something altogether inappropriate, Google translate it please so my innocence can be assured. If you actually didn't find anything wrong with the post. I apologise for both my terribly, dirty mind and my paranoia. I need a good brainwashing...

Lastly, €100 sounds good! Perhaps a link to a page please?
    edited December 2016
    What, no, I know you where joking, don't worry :V
    However: I was also joking, I don't do portrait painting (simply because I am not good at it), sorry :X
    (That's why I said Deutsche Mark and cash, because Deutsche Mark doesn't exist anymore :V)
    Don't you encourage him.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I wouldn't dream of it. ʕᴖᴥᴖʔ
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I don't even want to know what God will take for making a portrait...
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

what God will take for making a portrait

This I may or may not have already said in this very thread, in Ghassan Massoud's voice.
    God said:
    But I could also say it in that of Marlon Brando's.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I would, but since I discovered photoshop it's been quite fun to edit and make my own portraits.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

So please, do tell me what reasonable pricing means to you guys.

No more than 400NOK. Which, for a piece of artwork, I'm fully aware wouldn't be a good deal for most artists. Hence it would make sense for it to be sold to a wider audience than just me. For an image file I'd only use in a couple games though I think that's a lot of money; a game itself easily has this price tag.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

400NOK

And how many Zorkmids would that be?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    CrevsDaak said:

400NOK

And how many Zorkmids would that be?
    www.xe.com :)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    My "other" is "No, not in a million years would I pay so much as a dime for that sort of thing." If you want to throw money away, would you mind doing it in my direction?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    I would pay to have a good portrait for a mod NPC in BGII style etc.

I only fear that the amount of money I'd be willing to spend for my hobby does not cover the artist's work time. Because what I consider reasonable in terms of expenses for a hobby for a 10+ year old computer game does not. (And getting a reduced price because of some reason is nice for my purse but I don't like the idea of my payment not even covering the other one's costs. It kind of spoils the fun, imho. :( )

So - would this mean I should have ticked "no"? *ponders*
    @Ardanis Yes, the price can vary greatly based on which rights you buy with an artwork. Though every artist handles things differently in that regard. When in doubt just ask ahead.
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    I don't know. It's a cool idea and all, but I don't think so, not unless there is more than one (wearing different clothing, different poses etc.).