Skip to content

Content from Siege of Dragonspear in BG II:EE (Poll)

One of the most pleasant Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear features is the new companions. All of a sudden we haven't seen the final part of their stories, as it remains unfinished. We suppose the necessity to continue their stories do exist. Just imagine this variety of new interesting quests and romances becoming possible! Some people like Corwin, others (and I personally) like Caelar, and I do want to know what happened with her and others. The possibility of their integration into the main plot of BG2 exists on the level of discussion. That's why we want to find out your own point of view. Should new companions gain the opportunity to be presented at BG2 as well as other characters? Or, at least, some of them? Tell your own thoughts.
  1. Content from Siege of Dragonspear in BG II:EE (Poll)66 votes
    1. Yes, we need the new content for SoD and BG2.
      81.82%
    2. No, the SoD's companions should remain as a part of the addon only
        7.58%
    3. Other (put down your own thoughts in comments)
      10.61%
KonungOlegTwistedGregorionRianiAlice1993HellspawnMichelTemonStummvonBordwehrashafetovTillNeirathAbdelAdrian1992RhougaTimbo0o0o0

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Corwin is a no. She's a flaming fist officer and therefore would operate on the sword coast and not in Amn.
    Voghiln iirc is in The Black Pits 2.

M'khiin and Glint can be placed somewhere in the game however, and with them, you can finally run a full shorty party (Glint, M'Khiin, Mazzy, Jan and Korgan)
    ThacoBell
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Or be looking for you. Good or Evil ending, you are technically a wanted fugitive.
    ThacoBell
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    edited May 2018
    If it can be implemented so the SOD content is only activated if your character was imported from SOD, then I'm for it. If it's forced on everyone, it would be out of place for those of us who don't play SOD, and it would compromise one of the goals of the EEs, which is to preserve the spirit of the original games.

While I'm open to having more NPCs in the game, I also share UnderstandMouseMagic's fears that the SOD characters could overpower the original content, if they're implemented with a heavy hand.
    tbone1dunbarRavenslight
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2018
    I would select the ones that make sense. Not all vanilla npcs are in SoA but most have a mentioned closure nonetheless. I would welcome the same treatment for the SoD npcs then. Don't have all joinable but involve them in quests sometimes as bystander, sometimes just being mentioned.
    As much as I like Corwin she has no place on Amn. I would much rather have a quest play out linked to her giving some closure without her appearing at all. Alternatively have her appear related to a quest in the government district but have her go home at the end of the quest.

Caelar can get a yoshimo treatment or the reverse, and I would be happy enough with that.

More interesting I would rather have some carry over of the general SoD plot into SoA by having rumours in taverns, town criers, commoners and the like mentioning events that plainly mention SoD proceedings or only hint at any of the events. That would make a nice setup for the cross continuation of some open endings (like soultaker) and give us some SoD related quests.
    ThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I wouldn't mind more content and I am also not afraid of new content overshadowing old content. I've used the current NPCs a billion times, so it's not like adding Glint would make me miss out on content from Anomen, Jan or Viccy or whoever else he would replace.

If Corwin would be added it would be interesting if she hunted CHARNAME (who is a fugitive after all)! It could be a random encounter between areas where she attacks and depending on choices in replies, either it's a fight to the death or a potential ally for a while.
    StummvonBordwehrMalicronThacoBellTillNeirath
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    If they released SoD characters for BG2, I'd probably plop down a few bucks for it. I'd even be interested if it only took the form of a more involved, multi-area quest about said NPC(s), rather than a full-blown new party member. New content is always good.

Ultimately, though, I think I'd prefer to have something truly new rather than shoehorning old NPCs into a different area and story. I look at some of the more well-made mod NPCs with unusual kits, races, quests, etc. and find myself craving that same originality with a decent budget behind it. M'khiin kind of fits the bill in that regard, but BD's strategy of only giving her equipment that they have prebuilt sprites for rubbed me the wrong way a bit.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    It's entirely possible that it was WotC that weren't interested in more original content. I'd be willing to bet they make more money having Beamdog polish up old games than by developing new ones.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited May 2018
    I'm ok with SoD companions not appearing in BG2, but I really have a problem with the lack of narrative tie-in. Getting the tour from the "hooded man" at Spellhold really doesn't make sense anymore without some desperately needed added context.
    batoorStummvonBordwehrMalicronashafetov
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Purudaya said:

I'm ok with SoD companions not appearing in BG2, but I really have a problem with the lack of narrative tie-in. Getting the tour from the "hooded man" at Spellhold really doesn't make sense anymore without some desperately needed added context.

Yeah I would like something done about the unfinished soultaker plot.. And while it would be good to reference something about Irenicus, Caelar and stuff as well... That is a big job.

I think SoD companions and their stories work well enough within the expansion. I don't need it continued in BG2.