Skip to content

RP: Castle Greyhawk

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Neera smacks the snake with her staff, and Anomen stabs it, but it's still alive, and still choking the hell out of Jaheira. she's turning slightly blue around the edges.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    "Don't worry Jaheira, I will save you!" cries Alora as she attempts to stab the snake well away from the coils that are around the druid.

Minion, roll 1d20 for Alora's short sword attack
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    “Blasted fiend of slithery strangling!” cries Ajantis. “Taste steel!”

Minion, roll 1d20 for Ajantis Dramatic Strike
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited August 2018
    LadyRhian said:

Minion, roll 1d8+2 for Spear Damage

OOC: Minion doesn't know how to add, just how to roll die.
    @deltago. Actually, it does. Check out the result. It rolled a 5, and added 2 for 7 points damage. :)
    LadyRhian said:

deltago. Actually, it does. Check out the result. It rolled a 5, and added 2 for 7 points damage. :)

OOC: Oh well look at that, my mistake.
    Just waiting on @lolien and @mlnevese ...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2018
    Minion, roll 1d20 for attack!
    Minion, roll 1d10+1 for damage
    Mink's blow kills the snake, and it slumps to the ground. Jaheira coughs and coughs, and her color slowly comes back to normal. "Thank you," she says when she finally has her breath back. "Thank you, all."
    From here, the party can see that the runes on the Obelisk are written in Dwarvish. There is a piece of wood with the following written, in common.

...water
    ... of fire
    ... glass barrier
    ... The Serpent's Eye.
    It is beyond price but none has climbed the mountain to find the snake's pure, dazzling jewel.

The (...) parts indicate where the writer has indicated the Obelisk has broken away.
    “It is good to see there is still some decency in the world,” says Ajantis. “The last quester left his already translated writings for other like-minded questers such as ourselves. Very courteous.”

Ajantis searches the obelisk for any more info.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    “By Serpent’s Eye, you think they might mean this guy’s eye?” Neera pokes the dead snake with her foot.
    "No. The Serpent's Eye is this island," Jaheira patiently explains. "From the top of the mountain, you can see that the river leading to this lake looks like the Body of the Snake, the Lake looks like its head, and this island is the eye."

DM sez: Look at this:

https://pre00.deviantart.net/7213/th/pre/i/2015/335/3/e/the_next_adventire_begins__by_ladyrhianwriter-d9iowvh.jpg
    Alora is puzzled: "I'm puzzled," she says puzzeldly. We've been to the top of the mountain because the birds carried us there. Maybe we found a jewel up there and maybe we are supposed to do something with it? I did get an emerald off the man who did the carvings and it is green, the same colour as the snake, perhaps that is the jewel they are talking about?"
    Sorry, waiting on @lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited August 2018
    Arkanis tries to dechiper the dwarven writings.

OOC: I'll still busy this morning, but will be available after that most probably.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    "In dwarvish, the Obelisk reads:

... pool
    ... in flame
    ... door of crystal
    ... Eye of the Serpent
    Beloved it is, and who has not trekked the heights to see the Snake's true, bright beacon?

Whoever translated the Dwarven to Common wasn't a very good translator!"
    edited August 2018
    Alora nods sagely. "Thanks Arkanis, I'm sure that is a much better translation." She is quiet for a moment, then she adds, "But I still don't know what it means."
    When you look at the "flaming pool", you can see that there are indeed flames rising from the pool of water. But as you look closer, you can see there is a space in the water both in front of, and behind the flames. It's hard to see, but there does seem to be a wall of crystal there.

However, to get there, you'd have to have some way of getting there.

Like... swimming under the flames, maybe?
    "Hey, this great idea just popped into my head," announces Alora brightly. "Why don't I try swimming under the flames to get to the wall of crystal to see if I can find my way in. I'll tie my rope around my waist so you can try to haul me back if I get into trouble."

Alora ties a rope around her waist and hands the other end to Minsc before dipping a toe into the pool to check that the water isn't scalding hot. If it seems okay she will attempt to swim under the flames to reach the crystal wall.
    The water is warm on the surface and cooler beneath.

Rising high above the eastern end of the clearing is a high rock bluff fashioned by the years into weird shapes. But these hold little interest compared to a narrow cleft in the bluff, barely 20 feet deep. There before you is a bubbling pool, the surface covered by long, dancing flames. Above the flames, behind and on either side, nature has revealed a glittering bed of crystals which reflects the fire's yellow light like a beacon.

The pool is about five feet deep beneath the flames. Alora, wearing armor and weapons, sinks to the bottom when she steps fully in. The rest of you can see her walk across the bottom, beneath the flames, surface on the far side and pull herself into the cleft.
    Alora hurries back to tell the party what she has seen. "Guys! Guys! It's great. If you are little like me and Arkanis you can just walk under the water. If you are big you will have to bend over a bit or you will get your head scorched. Anyway, there's a door made of crystals and it is so pretty when all the lights from the flames bounce off it. And behind the door there is a corridor and it slopes down like a big slide at a fairground but it is easy to walk on and not that slippy. Come on! Let's all go and explore!"
    “Alright.” Neera follows Alora.
    “Hmm...” says Ajantis. “It seems that one would have to remove one’s armor in order to not trip and drown, thus making one defenseless on the other side at our destination. I sure hope not being a balloon is this important to you, my dear Alora...”
    "I really don't want to be a balloon because you just float around and everyone tries to avoid you and when you go 'pop' everyone else turns into balloons. I'll go first and I will keep the rope tied to my waist, that way you can use it as a guide and you are less likely to trip and fall. And I can stand guard on the other side while you all put your armour back on," says Alora, who is very keen to go and explore the tunnel she has found.
    What is with you splashing in every body of water we come across?

He was a guardian. He obviously has no wealth so he was guarding something nefarious. Just leave the door alone and let us attempt to return to civilization.
    "It is my duty as a ranger (and former paladin) to seek out nefariousness wherever it may be found," intones Alora solemnly. "And I bet the nasty old man had lots of treasure," she adds under her breath. "Otherwise why would he be guarding it with a great big snake and a pool of fire?"
    edited August 2018
    He attacked us,” Neera says. “Didn’t even give us a chance to talk. I don’t feel even the slightest bit hesitant to poke around a bit. If you want to stay behind, then be my guest. Otherwise, get out of the way.”
    Post edited by Nimran on
    Alora heads back under the water to reach the cleft in the bluff. She is still wearing the rope around her waist in case anyone needs to use it as a guide.
This discussion has been closed.