Skip to content

How did you named your first Charname ever?

In 1998 I was 17. I named my first Charname Pugsley, which is the name I put to all my characters in all RPGs between Shining in the Darkness and Baldur’s Gate (almost a decade). Pugsley is the name of a character from Addams Family.

In my second run I played a Bhaalspawn named Rocco because, you know.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I named him for my favorite PnP campaign character - Caderyn. His look was based on the picture of a cavalier from the AD&D 1st Edition Unearthed Arcana.

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844

Please explain.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2018

Please explain.
    You know, I was a teenager. The 90s...

Ok, is from Rocco Siffredi.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    First character was a Cavalier named Chris with Anomen's portrait, wielding Celestial Fury and constantly dying to mind flayers because I used Intelligence as a dump stat.

First character was a Cavalier named Chris with Anomen's portrait, wielding Celestial Fury and constantly dying to mind flayers because I used Intelligence as a dump stat.

Cavalier? You started pretty late, right?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @MonoCanalla: Yes, though that Cavalier was in BG2 rather than BG:EE. Baldur's Gate 2 was the first game I played. I didn't try BG1 until years later, and it was a long time after that before I tried BGTutu and actually finished it.
    I actually never finished ToB! I hope to do it in this run, with my Swashbuckler/Fighter.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    As far as I remember my first Baldur's Gate character was a ranger called Holly the Lost.

My first ever D&D character was a cleric whom I named John-Paul after the then Pope (John Paul the First). The Pope survived for 33 days, my character was even more short-lived.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    My first character was a Paladin named Alarion. To this day I have NO IDEA where I got the name from.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The same name that I give to all my characters: Raduziel.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Heh, a good question but I have absolutely no idea at all, for name, class, or alignment. Strangely enough I do remember my first characters from PnP D&D back around 1979/80 or so. I had a LG human MU named Sparrowhawk, and a CN H/E F/C named Mablung (I'd been reading Ursula Le Guin and JRR Tolkien). The H/E ended up with the Helm of Alignment Change from the module B1 The Keep on the Borderlands and ended up killing off the whole group later in the Slave Lords series of modules after he turned evil.

I wouldn't mind knowing my 1st BG characters though. Is there a diviner in the house? B)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2018
    My first D&D character was a mage dualed to cleric named Barnabas, who was named after the vampire main character from "Dark Shadows". It wasn't so much the vampire thing that caught my fancy, but Jonathan Frid's classic performance of the tortured soul, which is how I played my character.

The dual class was done from first level mage to first level cleric after only a few play sessions, and had nothing to do with mechanincs. I/He just started feeling guilty about being an arcane mage when he should be serving his god and following his calling to the priesthood. That was a low level tabletop campaign, and he wound up being a third level cleric by the end of it. He remains my favorite D&D character I ever played.

The DM of that campaign allowed psionics if the player rolled a 100, and I hit the jackpot and got it, so that character also had Psionic Blast and Hypnotism as spell-like abilities, making him a little overpowered. He was a lot of fun to play, though. The other players were several years younger than the DM and I, and would often start fighting with each other and ruining the play session, so I could often use Sleep spells and Hypnosis as an in-world way to restore order, with the DM's blessing.

Once I started playing computer games, I always just use my own name or a variation. I've been "Todd", "Tod", "Todek", "Todarius", "Todd Skywalker", and "Todangelus."
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    I remember so well when I made my first D&D PnP character. I was 17 years old It was a fighter with a sword. I imagined everything for him, the name was so obvious for me:

Luke Skywalker! Yeeeey! Not the most creative name, but I got so fond of my character back then. Gladly my brains for giving names has grown a few steps since then.

Now usually when i make a Paladin/Knight type of character, I name him Aron Crowell. Quite happy with that name, tho most likely not very unique anyway :)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2018
    Ecthelion, named after the stock characters in one of the images of the old BG2 manual... except I thought it was pronounced ‘eck the lion’. Ugh just typing that made me cringe.

I was too young to make up good names. Pretty much all of my characters were either named after or straight up imitations of other games and movie characters I liked. Or I just typed in random, somewhat pronounceable gibberish.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I was 11 and I gave him my own name - Bruno :D
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I was so excited when I got BG1 installed that I literally couldn't think. I rolled a CE Necromancer (with Xan's portrait) and sat there for ages, blinking at the name field. Everything that popped into my head seemed lame. Finally I realized it was either borrow a name from fiction or I would never actually start the game, so I chose Alhazred from the Lovecraft stories.
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Mine was sadly not Torgrimmer, like my current name, but it was Ringo. He was one eyed, hand chopped off, resurrected 4 times in PnP 2ed D&D,which the name followed over to BG1 and BG2, back in the 90's.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Lancelot. He was a paladin. Not very original at all. Never finished game with him.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Sahil.

I usually just take two or three sounds and join them together to make fantasy names. That’s what I did with my elven cleric back in the day. There were characters before her, but I don’t recall their names.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I tend to always give then my name as a way of putting myself into that world.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I believe the first character I had ever made in BG was A. Poor A never made it past Tarnesh. I was 8, so I wasn’t thinking too hard when I made the character, hence the name A.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    My first character was a dwarven fighter named Kadijk. Why Kadijk ? ... I don't know. Never used that named before or after. Real random.

Well, I remember him, because he had 18/00 strength. Then, I met Minsc and Kivan, who had 18/93 and 18/12 strength respectively. So, I was sure these guys were stronger than me. You know, 93 and 12 are bigger number than 00 after all. So I rerolled another fighter with 18/something (I can't remember), thinking that was actually better than what I had. Then, a few weeks later, when I understood that 18/00 is awesome, I kicked myself for being such a noob.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I don't remember my first character ever but it was probably a bard and probably named something really boring. Like Jim the Bard.