Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it's optional. if i want to play the game that way it's my prerogative and should not bother you.

like i suck at srpgs so the only way i could enjoy the newer shadowruns was cheating.
    ThacoBell
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Also because Baldur’s Gate is not only about gameplay either, like the Diablo games are. There’s a compelling story throughout the saga that can be enjoyed in itself, if one fancy to do only that. It’s something Story mode allows.
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Archaos And what about players that may be disabled? Maybe lack of manual dexterity makes just controlling the game hard. Maybe they a mood disorder, or hypersensitivity, or problems focusing that makes "learning the game" dificult if not impossible. Seriously, why does it matter so much to you how other people play their own game? Its not lazy or bad design, its inclusive. Your arguments come across as entitled and elitist.
    StummvonBordwehrkanisatha
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I understand you as I also can't start a game from BG2 (the fact that I prefer BG1 helps a lot), but IMHO the Story Mode makes me feel like cheating and don't gives me the sensation that I deserved it.

I've used it only once and I could only get to Friendly Arm Inn before restarting the game due to some psychological-flawled-guilty-feeling lol.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarArchaos
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited August 2018

Unpopular opinion: The best way to increase the challenge of Baldur's Gate isn't to increase the number of enemies and the amount of damage they do but to remove all potions, scrolls and wands from the game so your party has to rely on its own abilities to defeat its foes.

That's what @Grond0 often does. I only use scrolls to memorise them, except for the green ones. I think a lot of people play similarly but just out of laziness, not to make the game harder, I certainly I do. I don't want to spend my time wading through containers.
    kanisathaStummvonBordwehrPermidion_Stark
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Unpopular opinion: The best way to increase the challenge of Baldur's Gate isn't to increase the number of enemies and the amount of damage they do but to remove all potions, scrolls and wands from the game so your party has to rely on its own abilities to defeat its foes.

Add more varied enemy types as well. Have them use tactics and abilities that compliment each other.
    Permidion_Stark
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I always hoard and never use potions and things so for me it adds inventory management which is in the games favour.
    Montresor_SPAerakarWise_Grimwaldsemiticgoddess
    lroumen said:

I always hoard and never use potions and things so for me it adds inventory management which is in the games favour.

I'm like you, with the result that I end up with a LOT of containers. ( I could have even more due to the mods that I installed)
    AerakarMontresor_SP
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    For me, the chart would fail to account for me just giving up on looting lots of things from enemies in later stages of the game, when I know I won't use them, and also wouldn't use the gold they'd sell for. Definitely something that becomes a habit for me in TOB, where except for unique items or healing potions, I don't really bother looting much at that point. My equipment is generally good enough, and I'll have spells galore to compensate for whatever other potions or items may be lying around.
    Montresor_SPWise_GrimwaldThacoBellAerakar
    In my installation there are shops that sell wands with 200+ charges. That at least does give me something useful to use the gold for. It means that I will never have to recharge them again. That makes inventory control MUCH easier.
    Aerakar
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

For me, the chart would fail to account for me just giving up on looting lots of things from enemies in later stages of the game, when I know I won't use them, and also wouldn't use the gold they'd sell for. Definitely something that becomes a habit for me in TOB, where except for unique items or healing potions, I don't really bother looting much at that point. My equipment is generally good enough, and I'll have spells galore to compensate for whatever other potions or items may be lying around.

but you need to see how much gold you can gain in ToB, Sendai's enclave alone has 100s of 1000s of gold pieces worth of stuff to pick up

i usually end up with around 1.5 million GP in ToB, and i believe my record is 2.1, should try and beat that one day..... :)
    AerakarWise_Grimwald
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    sarevok57 said:

but you need to see how much gold you can gain in ToB, Sendai's enclave alone has 100s of 1000s of gold pieces worth of stuff to pick up

i usually end up with around 1.5 million GP in ToB, and i believe my record is 2.1, should try and beat that one day..... :)

Blech, Sendai shouldn't even exist. Didn't we fight enough drow and umber hulks and mind flayers and beholders in the last game?
    Wise_Grimwald

sarevok57 said:

Blech, Sendai shouldn't even exist. Didn't we fight enough drow and umber hulks and mind flayers and beholders in the last game?
    heh apparently not, and plus the spiders, spiders everywhere, although i do enjoy sendai's enclave infinitely more than abizigal's, as i mentioned earlier in this thread
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
    I wonder what would have happened if you still had the empty potion jar from helping Alanna's neighbour.
    I bet that wouldn't have worked either. :(
    lolien

You know.

Today I have played BG for the first time in MONTHs. It's been only for 1 hour. It felt so strange to be able to find time to play, at least for 1 hour.

SCS Tarnesh casted Sleep on Imoen, she saved, Imoen and Charname went to the temple, Tarnesh ... left the FAI territory and later I found him next to the northern group of hobgoblins. Khalid and Jaheira ran in Horror, Imoen went sleeping this time, only Charname (a blade, 16-18-10-16-12-18) was left. 6 hp against SCS Tarnesh. Under Offensive Spin. Managed to gulp a healing position in-between 2 magic missiles. 2 lucky rolls. Tarnesh dead. Hobgoblins dead because Horror stopped, and Khalid managed to fight them in melee.

SO MUCH FUN.

Here's my unpopular opinion: enjoy and cherish the time you can play it. Later, if your work/study prevents playing, you'll be missing it SO MUCH. Evem after all these years, and hundreds of playthoughs.

i actually just came back from a 7 month(?) or so hiatus from the BG series, and coming back feels great was having lots of fun with the cleric/mage i made ( with sprite/portrait and sound set of jon irenicus :) ) can't wait to get back home and finish that game off
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovAerakarBelgarathMTH