Skip to content

You know you are role playing when...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2018 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
ThacoBelldeltagomlneveseSkatanRavenslight

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    4.) You relish the thought of climbing into a submarine.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBellSkatanRavenslight
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    5.) You recognize things, but admit your character does not.
    6.) You loot everything that's not nailed down.
    [Deleted User]mlneveseSkatanRavenslight
    7.) When your character says, "I can summon spirits from the vasty deep," they actually *do* come when you call!
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellLadyRhianOrlonKronsteenRavenslight
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    LadyRhian said:

9.) When you somehow take out a mythic threat... without being mythic yourself.

aka killed a Mythic Chimera (Soltengrebbe) in a Pathfinder campaign, and my character, an Aasimar Paladin Level 7, did the fatal damage via a smiting +2 Holy Cold Iron Longsword with Frost Damage. But while other characters are Mythic, she is not.

10.) You are fighting real demons and devils and you, instead of running, screaming in fear, away from them, are running, screaming in rage, towards them!

I must say that running toward demons is not a good idea... even on RPGs :)
    [Deleted User]Ravenslight
    Well, when you are a Paladin, it's kind of expected!
    mlneveseThacoBell[Deleted User]Ravenslight
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    15. When you look at a picture of yourself and think, "Wow, I am so good looking. I totally fancy me."
    [Deleted User]RavenslightOrlonKronsteenlolien

LadyRhian said:

17.) You die and immediately come back as a character whose name is an anagram of your own. (Fred, Derf, Dref, Ferd, etc.) (I had a player who did this.)

In my first D&D group when I was in school one of the players insisted on calling his character Ted. Ted died but was taken to a temple and brought back to life. At which point he became Resurrec-Ted. Late he died again and was brought back to life by a druid. And from then on he was known as Reincarna-Ted.
    LOL!

18.) When your character has godly comeliness and horrendous Charisma and can only pick up the other sex when they keep their gob shut. (Remember Comeliness?)
    mlneveseRavenslight
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited September 2018
    LadyRhian said:

12.) When you fight just as well even if you are beaten up to the point of death (1 HP) or completely uninjured.

Stars Without Number is the one (partial) exception I have found. When you are close to your last few hitpoints you are supposed to act like you are dying. Taking cover. Limping around. Resting behind walls. Crying for help etc. But you still suffer no to hit penalty or anything like it. But at least it impacts RP.

19.) Passing around secret notes is an immediate cause for suspicion, anxiety, and dread.
    mlneveseZaghoul
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The Storyteller system implemented increasing penalties as you got in worst health conditions as well.
    voidofopinionRavenslight
    20.) You play an assassin, but the other people with you don't bat an eye.
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    21.) When the Paladin has to conveniently leave the room so you can "interrogate" the prisoner.
    RavenslightOrlonKronsteen
    22.) When your Paladin's alignment can best be described as "Lawful Stupid", and everyone else's as "Chaotic Everywhere".
    ThacoBelldunbar
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2018
    24.) When you come up with a ridiculous name and then create a character around that based only on that name. Kinky the Kenku has been born.

I should have put those in the same post instead of spamming. Sorry.
    mlneveseThacoBellRavenslight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mlneveseRavenslightOrlonKronsteen
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    4.) When your gud at cownting and spelling cus ur smawrt. I red a buk wants and I gawt intelligenter. Dats hou I got strownger and whiser to. I liek pie.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBelldeltagoRavenslight
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2018
    Off topic.

Shandyr said:

Skatan said:

23.) When you take the small good portions of yourself and extrapolate them into a character that is everything you want to be IRL, but really isn't. Heroic, kind, benevolent, strong, disciplined, good etc.

I have always wondered. What is roleplaying? Is it role playing when you play a character that is partly based on yourself? Does that "count"?

Isn't it rather real, true role playing when you play a character who is nothing like you. Who may be completely different.

The problem I'd have is that I could never relate to such a character.

But can that not be seen as one of the goals of role playing? To be able to get a feeling and understanding for characters (people) who are different from oneself?
    I don't see why it shouldn't count even if your character is partly based on yourself. Hell, you could even roleplay yourself if you want to. There are no absolutes, at least not to me. If you can relate to your character that could make it easier for you to RP since you can guide your character's actions easier using instinct rather than just making it all up along the way. But neither is more right and neither is wrong.

But this is not the place to discuss this
    . EDIT: Scratch that, this is your thread so you set the rules. Sorry.
    [Deleted User]RavenslightOrlonKronsteen
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

LadyRhian said:

12.) When you fight just as well even if you are beaten up to the point of death (1 HP) or completely uninjured.

Stars Without Number is the one (partial) exception I have found. When you are close to your last few hitpoints you are supposed to act like you are dying. Taking cover. Limping around. Resting behind walls. Crying for help etc. But you still suffer no to hit penalty or anything like it. But at least it impacts RP.

19.) Passing around secret notes is an immediate cause for suspicion, anxiety, and dread.
    Off-Topic Spoiler
    Hit points aren't a direct correlation with how much you've been hit. They are an abstaraction to represent small knicks and cuts, maybe some minor blows that add up over time. Zero hitpoints just represents either finally taking that direct hit or all those minor injuries adding up through bloodloss overtime.
    BelgarathMTHOrlonKronsteen