Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @BallpointMan: A few years ago, we had our dog Zach put to sleep. I think it was mostly my idea. Zach had been in terrible health for a long time, and since he was so old, there was little hope that he would get any better. He couldn't move much anymore, and there were some times he could not lift himself up to walk. Mobility is important for humans, but it's a necessity for dogs--there is not much left for them if they cannot run around outside or play with other dogs or people.

Our other dog, Peppy, was also very old, and he died in great pain. After watching Peppy die in pain (he was in my arms when it started), I wanted Zach to go peacefully. We took him to the vet and I pet his ears while they made the injection.

I think it was the right decision for Zach. It spared him a great deal of pain at the end of his life.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BallpointMan That's rough, my sympathies.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    We've put ours a month ago, at the age of 14, after throat spasms preventing proper breathing have rapidly increased in frequency and severity to the point it was barely possible to even walk her out without a fit.

I'd say, if the animal can no longer go through basic daily necessities without suffering, then it's about time. Especially if it's of venerable age, thus without any chance of getting better.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Ardanis said:

We've put ours a month ago, at the age of 14, after throat spasms preventing proper breathing have rapidly increased in frequency and severity to the point it was barely possible to even walk her out without a fit.

I'd say, if the animal can no longer go through basic daily necessities without suffering, then it's about time. Especially if it's of venerable age, thus without any chance of getting better.

I wouldn't want to linger on in that state. I kind of agree with Dr. Kevorkian in situations like that. What's the difference between torture and forcing a person (or animal) to live when pain is unescapable and incurable?
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    A few different things here really.

1. My heart goes out to Thacobell. I recently had the relationship I was in end due to my partner's depression making her unable to even leave the house, pushing away and etc. I really had no concept of what depression really was and in the wake of that have come to know it a lot better. It's a scourge, and I hope all of you get the help and support that you need.

2. I recently put down my 16 year old dog she had gone mostly blind and deaf, but she still was happy most of the time and got around just fine by habit and her nose. But she had a bad streak of days where she fell down the small set (3) stairs she had to get up and down to get in and out of her doggy door, and I figured it was only a matter of time before she took a really bad spill and I'd have to carry her to the vet. I found her on the road when I was 15 and she never let me live down that good deed because I never really cared for her much, but when you live together for 16 years and through all the things a person goes through from 15-31, you get attached.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I've had to put down 2 cats in the last five years, one was 21 and lived a very good life for 6 years with feline leukemia, the other was male and died at 9 of kidney failure. It sucks...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    it sure does. I've lost 2 cats, one at barely a year old to congenital liver failure, one at 16 to old age, and I cried buckets of tears for both of them. My sweet little Peachling Girl (Peaches) and Cleo (Cleopatra, Queen of Denial).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Balrog99 Wow a cat of 21 yrs, that's impressive!
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I've just been starting at this job post looking for a artist for a indie game team.

Part of of me just keeps tell me not to bother, your just get shot down and the other part of me agrees...

I feel like that's not how this should be working.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @DragonKing Things often happen the way the shouldn't, but sometimes they do. Start going to job fairs, even community and senior centers looking for someone to teach art. The more contacts you make and meet the more chances you have of getting something you really like, and that is often something we don't expect. Internships are a good option as well, but just trying and getting out there is what will get you started. Right now I even have an art therapist working with me that is helps me a little. Don't hesitate to look at jobs you might not even think apply to your degree, as someone else may very well see the need for a college graduate, especially in the field of art.

Always try to remember, just because it's not right then, it doesn't mean not ever. Never forget that, ever. :)
    The good news is that applications don't take long, and once you do them, you can feel good about having made the attempt. It's better than worrying about rejection.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @ThacoBell I hope things are going at least a little better for your wife now.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Gallenger said:

2. I recently put down my 16 year old dog she had gone mostly blind and deaf, but she still was happy most of the time and got around just fine by habit and her nose. But she had a bad streak of days where she fell down the small set (3) stairs she had to get up and down to get in and out of her doggy door, and I figured it was only a matter of time before she took a really bad spill and I'd have to carry her to the vet. I found her on the road when I was 15 and she never let me live down that good deed because I never really cared for her much, but when you live together for 16 years and through all the things a person goes through from 15-31, you get attached.

I get this. We did end up putting our dog to sleep. We came home on Thursday and found a pool of blood where she had messed up her front paws trying to stand up, and she was sort of incoherently bashing her head against the baseboard of the wall.

It was a brutal sight. We called in to work to take the day off on Friday, called the vet to get an appointment for Friday and spent the rest of her time with her (She got to sleep in our bed for the first time in a long time - armed with pee-pads and towels).

I've lost two parents and all 4 of my grandparents. This was nearly as hard as any of that because we had to decide to put her to sleep, and then stayed in the room while they performed the injection.

This Poem Always Makes Me Cry...

Patterns
    BY AMY LOWELL
    I walk down the garden paths,
    And all the daffodils
    Are blowing, and the bright blue squills.
    I walk down the patterned garden paths
    In my stiff, brocaded gown.
    With my powdered hair and jewelled fan,
    I too am a rare
    Pattern. As I wander down
    The garden paths.

My dress is richly figured,
    And the train
    Makes a pink and silver stain
    On the gravel, and the thrift
    Of the borders.
    Just a plate of current fashion,
    Tripping by in high-heeled, ribboned shoes.
    Not a softness anywhere about me,
    Only whale-bone and brocade.
    And I sink on a seat in the shade
    Of a lime tree. For my passion
    Wars against the stiff brocade.
    The daffodils and squills
    Flutter in the breeze
    As they please.
    And I weep;
    For the lime tree is in blossom
    And one small flower has dropped upon my bosom.

And the splashing of waterdrops
    In the marble fountain
    Comes down the garden paths.
    The dripping never stops.
    Underneath my stiffened gown
    Is the softness of a woman bathing in a marble basin,
    A basin in the midst of hedges grown
    So thick, she cannot see her lover hiding,
    But she guesses he is near,
    And the sliding of the water
    Seems the stroking of a dear
    Hand upon her.
    What is Summer in a fine brocaded gown!
    I should like to see it lying in a heap upon the ground.
    All the pink and silver crumpled up on the ground.

I would be the pink and silver as I ran along the paths,
    And he would stumble after,
    Bewildered by my laughter.
    I should see the sun flashing from his sword-hilt and the buckles on his shoes.
    I would choose
    To lead him in a maze along the patterned paths,
    A bright and laughing maze for my heavy-booted lover,
    Till he caught me in the shade,
    And the buttons of his waistcoat bruised my body as he clasped me,
    Aching, melting, unafraid.
    With the shadows of the leaves and the sundrops,
    And the plopping of the waterdrops,
    All about us in the open afternoon
    I am very like to swoon
    With the weight of this brocade,
    For the sun sifts through the shade.

Underneath the fallen blossom
    In my bosom,
    Is a letter I have hid.
    It was brought to me this morning by a rider from the Duke.
    “Madam, we regret to inform you that Lord Hartwell
    Died in action Thursday sen’night.”
    As I read it in the white, morning sunlight,
    The letters squirmed like snakes.
    “Any answer, Madam,” said my footman.
    “No,” l told him.
    “See that the messenger takes some refreshment.
    No, no answer.”
    And I walked into the garden,
    Up and down the patterned paths,
    In my stiff, correct brocade.
    The blue and yellow flowers stood up proudly in the sun,
    Each one.
    I stood upright too,
    Held rigid to the pattern
    By the stiffness of my gown.
    Up and down I walked,
    Up and down.

In a month he would have been my husband.
    In a month, here, underneath this lime,
    We would have broke the pattern;
    He for me, and I for him,
    He as Colonel, I as Lady,
    On this shady seat.
    He had a whim
    That sunlight carried blessing.
    And I answered, “It shall be as you have said.”
    Now he is dead.

In Summer and in Winter I shall walk
    Up and down
    The patterned garden paths
    In my stiff, brocaded gown.
    The squills and daffodils
    Will give place to pillared roses, and to asters, and to snow.
    I shall go
    Up and down,
    In my gown.
    Gorgeously arrayed,
    Boned and stayed.
    And the softness of my body will be guarded from embrace
    By each button, hook, and lace.
    For the man who should loose me is dead,
    Fighting with the Duke in Flanders,
    In a pattern called a war.
    Christ! What are patterns for?
    Well, I haven't heard anything back so I'm sure I didn't get the job, I shouldn't have even bothered.
    @DragonKing Take a deep breath. If you didn't get it, so what? At least you tried. You might still get it. But you did something good: Instead of doing nothing, you did something. Keep on going. Apply for other jobs, leep working on your art. You don't have to win everything, you just have to do something.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Well, I haven't heard anything back so I'm sure I didn't get the job, I shouldn't have even bothered.

As someone who struggles with finding a job, I understand how you feel. But it is still infinity times better to try and fail than to not try at all.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited January 2019
    I'm skipping through episodes of Avatar: The Last Air Bender I randomly hit this moment:

I've been spontaneously crying for the past 15 minutes now.
    Post edited by voidofopinion on
    edited January 2019
    So where to begin...
    A fight with the gf that more or less broke us up yesterday.

My left trapezius and deltoid muscles are acting up again. Over a year ago I was so stressed that they had swollen up to the point that just attempting to turn my head was painful and the trapezius was overlapping my spine while applying pressure to it.

Noticed a job poster took down a job I was going for yesterday also, I still went up there today the test the crap I call luck... Yep, they hired someone so another job I did get.

Nearly twisted my ankle a few minutes/seconds ago walking, leaving the place.

Been in the freezing cold for nearly two hours, cab barely feels my fingers.

Why haven't I started drinking yet?

You know international feminism loves to claim men have all these privileges, and positives going for them in life. There have even been articles claiming black men are the white men of minority groups... When do I get to sip the privilege kool-aid?
    Because so far my life has been just one disappointment after another.

This just in, so the a bust that was suppose to come at 10:31... Came at 9 effing 50 and drove right past me while I was starting to walk away.

PLAYING RED DEAD ONLINE AS A BLACK CHARACTER MEANS ENDURING RACIST GARBAGE

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/15/18183843/red-dead-online-black-character-racism?fbclid=IwAR39C0AddHLOB03Gq6R7QnMl7qiRGFMpa7LaTG-WBKn-N2aShYZiwDqXWtU
    Slave catchers, KKK-inspired clans, and racial targeting: what players reenact in Rockstar’s Western

Orcs, Britons, And The Martial Race Myth, Part I: A Species Built For Racial Terror

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/1/13/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-i-a-species-built-for-racial-terror?fbclid=IwAR1xAVN5RaCxkIZ9vSaw-m2txySeMPV4Ogm5DFNeDO2B6qDfz_t9Q47-NaA
    LadyRhian said:

PLAYING RED DEAD ONLINE AS A BLACK CHARACTER MEANS ENDURING RACIST GARBAGE

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/15/18183843/red-dead-online-black-character-racism?fbclid=IwAR39C0AddHLOB03Gq6R7QnMl7qiRGFMpa7LaTG-WBKn-N2aShYZiwDqXWtU
    Slave catchers, KKK-inspired clans, and racial targeting: what players reenact in Rockstar’s Western
    I would call that some amazing roleplaying.

People Tried to Trash A Plus-Size Cosplayer … The Internet Said NO

https://urbancosplayers.com/people-tried-to-trash-a-plus-size-cosplayer/?fbclid=IwAR3TZJMCrHsJgzpLjfgHAnljbaRmXRWNj5BvvHJqp5yLVgemY4iCZrv3Bts

The first part makes me sad, not the second.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    LadyRhian said:

The first part makes me sad, not the second.

My own sorrow comes from how:
    1) someone tries and fails a thing they're physically not fit to do (so far so good, to each their own)
    2) a bunch of people shower the attempt with fake praise (or maybe they're just trying to be nice? okay)
    3) someone refuses to join and expresses healthy skepticism about the whole act (got a right to)
    4) ???????????
    5) PROFIT people from 2 start calling people from 3 vicious trolls

And they've got the gall to call themselves "tolerant" and "inclusive". If it's not hypocrisy at its finest, then I don't know what is. Maybe mass insanity is a better term.
    I find it disturbing that people can show support for their fellow humankind and have that derided as "fake praise." Just because you don't feel the same way doesn't mean that other people are lying. There are in fact people who say nice things and mean them.

I don't normally use the word "troll" to describe anyone. But throwing mud at people because they're not thin enough isn't "healthy skepticism."

There's not really a point to saying this. This isn't shedding light on some important issue or revealing an ugly truth that enlightens us all. It's just being mean for no reason.

"Oh, she's so pretty!"
    "No; she's too fat to be pretty."

You might not agree with the first statement. But what is the point of the second statement, except to annoy people?
    Criticism is only useful when it points to an issue that can be changed. If a TV show relies too much on gimmicky twists, you can change the writing. If an artist can't draw hands well, they can practice that. If somebody cooks with too much salt, they can cook with less.

For cosplay, if the criticism was "the eye makeup isn't the right color," that would be something that could realistically be fixed with a reasonable amount of effort. But if someone is too heavy to be attractive to a specific person? Modern science has proven pretty decisively that altering your weight long-term is one of the absolute most difficult things a human being can do. The failure rate for dieting is about 99%. That's the sort of thing that requires an entire lifestyle change.

The only valid reason to suggest that someone change their body weight is because it could be good for their health; not for your eyes.

I find it disturbing that people can show support for their fellow humankind and have that derided as "fake praise." Just because you don't feel the same way doesn't mean that other people are lying. There are in fact people who say nice things and mean them.

I don't normally use the word "troll" to describe anyone. But throwing mud at people because they're not thin enough isn't "healthy skepticism."

There's not really a point to saying this. This isn't shedding light on some important issue or revealing an ugly truth that enlightens us all. It's just being mean for no reason.

"Oh, she's so pretty!"
    "No; she's too fat to be pretty."

You might not agree with the first statement. But what is the point of the second statement, except to annoy people?

What is the point of the first statement? How are they not equally pointless?