Skip to content

The thread for happiness/spreading your joy

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2019
    @StummvonBordwehr, it's true, that's an interesting book. I've read it when I was in high school (was learning Japanese then and a teacher recommended it), but I guess it wouldn't hurt to read it again after 20 years :smile:

Edit: *Trying* to learn Japanese. I gave up after a year. It's not a language you can pick up casually, at least not if you prefer to be literate. Too much work :smile:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I read Zen in the Art of Archery and was annoyed by the writer's self-important archery instructor. Partway through Herrigel's (the author's) training, he was having trouble learning something new. After failing many times to get it right using his master's method, he finally figured out a different method that worked better for him.

You'd think the master would be surprised and impressed. You'd be wrong.

The master was so upset that he flat-out refused to give Herrigel any more lessons until Herrigel gave him a heartfelt apology for daring to use a different method from his master--an incredibly childish response for a supposedly wise master. Apparently the master felt upstaged when his student learned something without his help.

So much for a Zen master's rejection of the "self."
    edited July 2019
    @semiticgod , I think the situation you are describing was upsetting the teacher because Herrigel was looking for a shortcut to the goal instead of accepting and working patiently, failing to see that to walk the whole road was more important than reaching the goal quickly.. But I agree with you, to some extent.

Philosophies and religions can always be interesting and inspiring and insightful in their essence, but human failure and pride can distort everything. A bad teacher doesn't mean the whole philosophy was bad.
    We're also talking about the 1920s here, when Herrigel was in Japan, and traditional Japanese archery, like all martial arts deriving from samurai tradition, were all very authoritarian and based on obedience and exact repetition.
    Creativity, own ideas and innovation weren't appreciated.

Herrigel was criticized much, because he became a member of the NSDAP (the nazi party) when he returned to Germany, and misinterpreted the things he had learned to justify "heroic" nationalism.

As far as I have learned, his teacher had been a master of traditional archery, but not a Zen master, just influenced by it.
    Also, Herrigel didn't speak Japanese and was communicating with his teacher via a translator.

I still think that some interesting ideas can be picked up from the book, if you use your own judgement, as we should with any information. Blind copying of methods and strict obedience without questioning is not my forte, either :wink:
    @Arvia: You're so smart. I like hearing your views on things. They make me feel a little more enlightened.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited July 2019
    Edit
    edited August 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @Arvia: You're so smart. I like hearing your views on things. They make me feel a little more enlightened.

@semiticgod , it makes me feel very embarrassed to hear such things. I'm just writing down my opinions and thoughts, while other people always have so much background information with quotes, dates and other numbers that I can't remember for the life of me. I even had to google if it was really the 20s and not the 30s.

Edit: Thank you, anyway.
    @semiticgod , here I was, early morning, feeling lousy after a bad day and not enough sleep, and dreading 24h of work ahead of me, and then you go and say such kind things.

By the way, I hope your neck/shoulder/arm is getting better?
    @Arvia: Kinda. There's good and bad news: Everything besides the herniated disk is apparently in good health, the pain is less than it was before but the decrease in pain has slowed down (progress is very minimal), the painkillers are ineffective and taste terrible, I got a new topical painkiller thingy that I'll start using tomorrow or tonight, I need to return a call that was probably about physical therapy scheduling, and if things don't improve I'll get a shot.

Please get as much sleep as you need, whenever you can. You're worth it.
    @semiticgod, so it's a herniated cervical disk?
    It's good if it's "only" pain (not meant the way it might sound!) and no sensory or motor deficit. I hope you find something to control the pain effectively soon, and get well quickly.

Thank you for your good advice, but sometimes the choice is between getting enough sleep and having some quiet time where I'm alone. I need that, too, to stay sane (assuming I ever was). A tricky balance.
    @Arvia: I understand. I was just worried about your health.

There's some occasional numbness, but it's very rare, and it's usually only when I've used the neckbrace to separate the disks to relieve the pressure, and then take off the neckbrace too quickly and suddenly put a bunch of extra pressure on all at once. My PCP detected some weakness a while ago, but I went to a different doctor and he detected very little weakness, so it does look like pain is the only real concern at this point.

I was actually rather worried about loss of function. Early on, I had this paranoid idea that the wrong move could paralyze me!
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    That's all we can ever do. Life is beautiful, and yes, that is proof enough.
    @Stromael , I hope your holiday will give you time to relax, rest and recharge.

Can you maybe use the time on the train for something you enjoy, so that you get something positive out of it every day?
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2019

@Arvia , I hope the same of your holiday, for you! We all need to let our bodies and minds recover from time to time. Do you have any plans for your time off?

In fact I do try to use the train time well, sometimes for reading or drawing, but mostly for endless failed re-attempts at NR-ing my favourite games. Several times now I've nearly missed my stop by being way too engrossed in the battle of the moment. Unfortunately the daily rhythm's tiredness means my concentration and attentiveness are usually a bit lax, so I invariably make a fatal mistake in-game, but nevertheless it's fun. 😀

Post edited by Stromael on
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Skatan wrote: »
    So in early June I went for 14 days to Brazil on a business trip. While there I figured I could try to meet up some locals with the help of Tinder. The first meet-up was with a girl on the first Tuesday. Then we met up again in the weekend and spend every free hour after that together. Then I went back again on my vacation and spend another 9 days with her in early July and now we are in love and together. Well, as together as two persons in love can be with about 30 hours of travel time between them. We have created a plan for how to be together, talked about the future and I dare say that over my ~25 years or since my first crush, I have never met a person who are so perfectly tailored to me. It's almost uncanny. Who'd guess I'd have to travel across half the world to find my perfect match though? My dear mother is not as happy though, she fears I will move to Brazil! And who knows, maybe I will. Anyways, haven't felt this good since.. well, to be frank I don't even remember since when, so it's probably a long, long time ago.

Might want to talk to @SorcererV1ct0r before moving to Brazil. He lives there and may have some good advice...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Arvia Good luck!

@Skatan Daw <3
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited August 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    So in early June I went for 14 days to Brazil on a business trip. While there I figured I could try to meet up some locals with the help of Tinder. The first meet-up was with a girl on the first Tuesday. Then we met up again in the weekend and spend every free hour after that together. Then I went back again on my vacation and spend another 9 days with her in early July and now we are in love and together. Well, as together as two persons in love can be with about 30 hours of travel time between them. We have created a plan for how to be together, talked about the future and I dare say that over my ~25 years or since my first crush, I have never met a person who are so perfectly tailored to me. It's almost uncanny. Who'd guess I'd have to travel across half the world to find my perfect match though? My dear mother is not as happy though, she fears I will move to Brazil! And who knows, maybe I will. Anyways, haven't felt this good since.. well, to be frank I don't even remember since when, so it's probably a long, long time ago.

Might want to talk to SorcererV1ct0r before moving to Brazil. He lives there and may have some good advice...

Is hard to talk since is an continental country. The life in the southernmost state and the northernmost state are completely different.

What state are you in?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2019
    -Deleted-
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    What state are you in?

Curitiba, Parana.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    What state are you in?

Curitiba, Parana.

Not joking. I live in this city; Generally when people from US come here, they go only to "hell de janeiro". any impressions about the city?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    What state are you in?

Curitiba, Parana.

Not joking. I live in this city; Generally when people from US come here, they go only to "hell de janeiro". any impressions about the city?

Many, but that's probably not for this thread :)
  • DaxTheTrillDaxTheTrill Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2019
    ... 14 days to Brazil ....The first meet-up was with a girl on the first Tuesday... spend every free hour after that together.... went back again on my vacation and spend another 9 days with her... now we are in love and together....I have never met a person who are so perfectly tailored to me. ... Who'd guess I'd have to travel across half the world to find my perfect match .... I will move to Brazil! ...

I think we all just witnessed the sparks of the new couple on the next season of 90 Day Fiance :) good luck and enjoy that 'falling in love' feeling