Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    From my experience, SCS Davaeorn aims his Stinking Cloud/Web sequencer at the trapped intersection in his lair, not at your character, so if you quickly run past there (maybe to one of the side rooms), you should be able to avoid it. Also, if you get your whole party past the trapped hallway, the guard reinforcements will have to walk through the Web and Stinking Cloud to get to you, which gives you some time to handle the other enemies.
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    edited September 2019
    Fantastic ideas, guys. I'll give it a shot soloing him with RoE and PoMB, whilst the other 5 tackle the spawning guards.

Any thoughts how to keep them alive, should Davy jump right next to them?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that somehow I drew the Battle Horrors away, already. This, after triggering his dialogue. All I did was sneak ahead with my invisible Thief to disarm the traps, then sneak farther ahead until I saw them. His circle was red but he didn't follow me, whilst his cronies gave chase instantly despite my invisibility.

EDIT 2: It worked! Spectacularly well, actually. Took 5 charges of the RoE, and my second Potion of Magic Blocking got dispelled by Davaeorn, so I had to gulp a third to be safe, but we pulled through. He didn't ever Dimension Door too close to the rest of the party. On to the Gate!
    Post edited by Stromael on
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    I was wondering, *IF* my party makes it into SoD, will the game remember, after the starting dungeon, that Dynaheir is supposed to be dead? Or will she be recruitable again in the city with Minsc? That would be weird!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arvia She will reappear. Only plot related deaths are permanent. If you have EET installed, though, ordinary character deaths will be remembered.
    Since I don't know what EET is, probably not :smile:

Thank you, @semiticgod ! If I get that far, I'll have to decide if I consider her dead for RP reasons and don't recruit her... that would mean using a totally different party, which could be interesting.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    They do make chunked characters that reappear come back with a completely red palette for whatever reason, I guess to make you feel bad about using someone who's supposed to be dead.
    If you can stomach him (you're playing a paladin, so probably not), Edwin is the only other arcane caster before Troll Claw Woods, where you get access to... A Skald. Not exactly a prime caster, though wands are usable again. And after that, you can get... Neera at Bridgefort. A bit risky, though not impossibly so.
    So, let's talk about Ulgoth's Beard and Durlag's Tower... to do it, or not to do it?

I've finished the Ice Island and the first level of Durlag's Tower, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to continue.
    I mean, I have only played it once. During my first run, I had two reloads that I know how to avoid now (I stupidly rushed into the narrow room with the Dwarven Doom Guards with my whole party instead of using the narrow hallway to my advantage, and I underestimated the Greater Wyverns in the room with the statues), but I remember very, very narrowly escaping death in the throne room with the Greater Doppelgangers, and on the chess board.

And many fights consumed irreplaceable resources. So, I wonder if it's worth the trouble.
    I've decided to continue. The second lower level was okay. Not ridiculously easy, but nobody got killed.

My struggles during my first run were obviously just because I was playing blind (and stupid, always running in instead of choosing my battlefield. Thanks to @BelgarathMTH for making me aware of that).

Now, the third one. I'm afraid of those invisible guys with the name that sounds like something Japanese. That room is full of traps, but one of them might chunk Alora with her 31HP with a single backstab. I hate to use summons as cannon fodder when I'm playing a paladin, but I don't see a reasonable alternative.
    Thank you both!

My 100 hp, or more with potions of heroism, should be enough to survive them... I'm going to be extra careful with Alora hidden and me as tank and bait.
    And leaving the others behind a closed door is good advice, thank you.

Pity that I have to work tomorrow ?.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    If you're prepared to micro-manage it's also possible to get attackers to show themselves without attacking most of the time. Invisibility is lost when someone commits to an attack, which happens slightly before an attack is actually made. If you keep a character moving in a circle, that makes it difficult for an attacker to attack from the front and give themselves a chance to actually make an attack, after committing to the attempt, but before you move out of range. Attackers using very fast weapon speed or range 2 weapons have a better chance, but even they will often fail to make an attack against this strategy.
    @Grond0 I've only seen that behavior from player characters. Does it actually apply to enemies as well? I've run away from backstabbers in the past but they've only broken invisibility after they made an attack roll.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    From my experience, SCS Davaeorn aims his Stinking Cloud/Web sequencer at the trapped intersection in his lair, not at your character, so if you quickly run past there (maybe to one of the side rooms), you should be able to avoid it. Also, if you get your whole party past the trapped hallway, the guard reinforcements will have to walk through the Web and Stinking Cloud to get to you, which gives you some time to handle the other enemies.

The tactics that I have used in this situation is to go past all the enemies whilst invisible and attack fro the rear. Quite effective! You can then use web, then fireballs, cloudkill etc.

I have found that in general, if you do the unexpected then you are more likely to win as the carefully worked out sequencers are no longer appropriate.
    Arvia wrote: »
    Since I don't know what EET is, probably not :smile:

Thank you, @semiticgod ! If I get that far, I'll have to decide if I consider her dead for RP reasons and don't recruit her... that would mean using a totally different party, which could be interesting.

Always remember that there are spells such as resurrection and the like, and the gods sometimes interfere, so deaths do not need to be permanent from a RP point of view.
    edited September 2019
    But doesn't disarming a trap break invisibility?
    And Hide in Shadows isn't reliable enough, Alora isn't too good at it and sometimes becomes visible during several failed attempts.
    Reliable enough for other situations, but not enough to avoid being spotted by an Ashirukuru.
    I've noticed that I lost the final battle against Sarevok with 3 unused Protection from Magic scrolls in my inventory. A bit embarrassing, actually.
    Then, reading a bit about those scrolls, I've seen that they can be used on strong spellcaster opponents as a guaranteed dispel and to disable their casting.
    I don't think I would "waste" them for that, but that gave me the idea if it's possible to use cursed scrolls on enemies as a weapon. Has anyone tried that?
    I suppose that you can't save against them, but I'm asking myself if they're affected by magic resistance etc. If not, it would be cool to use the Cursed Scroll of Weakness on Sarevok, for example. Or other strong melee fighters, who suddenly wouldn't be able to walk with STR 5.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I've tried using cursed scrolls like that in the past - and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. There are other 'beneficial' spells that can be used to nerf opponents though - like the arcane strength spell or divine magic resistance.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2019
    For what it worth, personally I see using "buff/protection" spells/scrolls on enemies as an exploit/cheese. Someone might like/does not mind of such approach but in my opinion those spells/scroll aren't supposed to be using that way.
    Post edited by Serg_BlackStrider on
    Using a Strength spell on Sarevok would also slightly decrease his damage output, and it would last longer than Ray of Enfeeblement and offer no saving throw.

In my install, Protection from Magic scrolls can't be used on anyone but the user him or herself in BG1; that is only possible in BG2. They're stil excellent buff options against Sarevok, though, since you can still drink potions after you use the scroll.

Cursed scrolls can indeed only be used on self, with the sole exception of cursed monster summoning scrolls.
    Sarevok was just an example. I was generally wondering if it could be done.

It would have been fun to use the Cursed Scroll of Ugliness on an arrogant dragon :smile:

Really, buffing with potions still works after using a Protection from Magic scroll? That's great to know.
    edited September 2019
    Arvia wrote: »
    I've noticed that I lost the final battle against Sarevok with 3 unused Protection from Magic scrolls in my inventory. A bit embarrassing, actually.
    Then, reading a bit about those scrolls, I've seen that they can be used on strong spellcaster opponents as a guaranteed dispel and to disable their casting.
    I don't think I would "waste" them for that, but that gave me the idea if it's possible to use cursed scrolls on enemies as a weapon. Has anyone tried that?
    I suppose that you can't save against them, but I'm asking myself if they're affected by magic resistance etc. If not, it would be cool to use the Cursed Scroll of Weakness on Sarevok, for example. Or other strong melee fighters, who suddenly wouldn't be able to walk with STR 5.

Before things got changed, I used to use protection from magic on the demonknight at the top of Durlag's Tower. This stopped him teleporting away with the result that you gained an extra paoir of gauntlets, armour, and a helm of opposite alignment plus of course the experience. @semiticgod said that the scroll couldn't be used in BG1, however it could with Tutu installed. (It isn't with EET installed. :( )