Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @ilduderino
    Not with Tweaks Anthology you don't! Fixes that problem right up.
    gorgonzolailduderinoBlackraven
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    ilduderino wrote: »
    You can never travel with more than 5 people - even when some of those people:

Might otherwise be left in a mine that is about to be flooded

Would be left vulnerable after their home had been invaded by trolls, who had murdered their family, and being at the mercy of a family of corrupt nobles

Would otherwise be left alone in a mental asylum for wizards who you have just spent months trying to rescue and is your sister

Would be summarily abandoned after having been with you for months and having risked their life helping you to rescue your sister

Would be left in a pocket plane in hell after having travelled and fought with you to help you and your sister regain your souls

Would be handy to have around bearing in mind you are about to fight The Five, who have large armies backing them up

Etc

Most of those, yeah - there should have been an RP way to get around that. I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't. The situation in Spellhold is probably the most asinine, and I think there were mods that fixed that. Of course, this is a game that doesn't always give you a polite way to turn down an NPC in the event your party is full and you don't want to swap anyone out. I was upset that there was no way to tell Dynaheir that she wasn't needed in a nicer way, for instance.

Howeer, you can resolve at least one of those if you are willing to take the time - you can have people follow you out of the pocket plane, dismiss them in the prime material, and repeat until the only one left is Mr. C - and he seems to have made a living there somehow anyway.
    ilduderinoProontgorgonzola
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Good call on Dynaheir - a few moments after I made the list I thought leaving someone in a pit in a gnoll fortress should also be on there!
    ZaramMaldovar
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    ... but, for some reason, he doesn't let you rest when he strings that bow. Helping to string a bow is more tiring than helping to forge any of the other legendary weapons and armor Cromwell deals in.
    Montresor_SPmlneveseProontZaramMaldovar
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    also, even if he is probably the best armorer and weapon builder of the plane, if you bring to him the flail heads from d'arnise keep he is not able to forge flail of ages.
    while you, whatever class charname is, can easily do it in the castle forge.
    strange enough if you manage to get the WK flail head while in SoA, both you, at the keep forge, and him are unable to attach it to the flail, only cespenar know how to do it.

also i never did try, but i bet that if you bring to ToB the 3 heads from the keep cespenar will be not able to build the flail, and/or if you bring to him only the WK and ToB heads, that he is able to attach to the flail, but not FoA (+1, 2, or 3) he can not build a FoA+2 (electric and poison damage only) with them.

by the way cespenar states clearly that he is only able to follow some recipes that he knows, so there is some logic in how he behaves, while cromwell brags to be a super skilled weapon and armor builder, so being not able to assemble the flail has not logic at all. or better has a perfect "baldur's gate logic" :).
    Montresor_SPmlneveseProontDaevelon
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    also, even if he is probably the best armorer and weapon builder of the plane, if you bring to him the flail heads from d'arnise keep he is not able to forge flail of ages.
    while you, whatever class charname is, can easily do it in the castle forge.
    strange enough if you manage to get the WK flail head while in SoA, both you, at the keep forge, and him are unable to attach it to the flail, only cespenar know how to do it.

also i never did try, but i bet that if you bring to ToB the 3 heads from the keep cespenar will be not able to build the flail, and/or if you bring to him only the WK and ToB heads, that he is able to attach to the flail, but not FoA (+1, 2, or 3) he can not build a FoA+2 (electric and poison damage only) with them.

by the way cespenar states clearly that he is only able to follow some recipes that he knows, so there is some logic in how he behaves, while cromwell brags to be a super skilled weapon and armor builder, so being not able to assemble the flail has not logic at all. or better has a perfect "baldur's gate logic" :).

This, IMO, was a pretty glaring oversight in the original games. I remember being especially frustrated at finding a fourth head in WK and not being able to make the FoA+4. I ended up consoling it in as a result, because by any reasonable thinking, it should have been available. I did NOT consider that a cheat.
    mlnevesegorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    has to be told that originally SoA was created then ToB with WK was added as an expansion, so the WK head did not exist when the d'arnise forge was coded and at that time the games was distributed using physical supports, cd rom, it was not like now that the games are downloaded and easily patched, at that time many internet connections was still working at Kbytes speed, not mega or giga like now...

i don't know if the forge patch, or a cromwell one, could have been included in the ToB cd rom, possibly it could, so @semiticgod is right, it is only lazy programming. and also i don't consider a cheat to add the head in a not conventional way (mod, console or eekeeper).

but here i was focusing on the silly logic, not on its cause, the best armorer in amn not able to attach a head to an existing flail, an head that was created for that flail so a work that every blacksmith should do without any problem.
    Montresor_SPsemiticgoddessProont
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Cromwell takes the same amount of time to string a bow as he does to forge Crom Faeyr.

The hammer was already forged in the form of the Hammer of Thunderbolts; it just needed to be refined in some way using the other components.
    @ilduderino
    Honestly we could keep this board alive just by looking at illegal character stats. But I always enjoy a good jab at Anomen even though unlike everybody else I actually like the character.

And Gorch will constantly act clueless even after your first encounter. They could've at least changed his dialogue to indicate that he had already met you.
    Balrog99Proont
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited November 2019
    ilduderino wrote: »
    You cannot become a cleric when you were originally a fighter unless you are extraordinarily wise - but Anomen can become a cleric after being a fighter even though his behaviour is extremely unwise and his stats are insufficient

I headcanon it like this: Anomen used to be wise enough to dual-class but his personal problems and his doubts decreased his wisdom. He gets some of it back if you help alleviate his doubts so he can become a member of the Order.

While on the topic:

Baldur's Gate / D&D 2nd Edition logic: You need a mediocre primary stat to become a certain class; for example you need 9 wisdom to become a cleric and a 9 strength to become a fighter. But to dual class, you need a very high stat in your original class and an extremely high stat in your new class. For example you need 15 STR and 17 WIS to dual from fighter to cleric.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellgorgonzolaZaramMaldovar
  • BelacRLJBelacRLJ Member Posts: 51
    Think of it like college: Any idiot can go to college (basic class). It takes somewhat higher qualifications to have a difficult major (Paladin, Ranger). Only those who are truly capable can double-major (dual-class).
    ArtonaZaramMaldovarSkatanMontresor_SP
    @fluke13
    This only happens if you encounter Permedion Stark before you open High Hedge. Otherwise he just wanders off

@UncleSporky

Yeah. If he does that, Thalantyr would absolutely kill him.
    semiticgoddess
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    fluke13 wrote: »
    Not sure if this one has been mentioned, but the thief outside High hedge... Plans greatest heist of all time, meets Charname, changes his mind about heist... Then proceeds to walk straight through the front doors of High hedge.

It's to throw off the scent. My dear Thalantyr, if I were to rob, why would I enter through front doors?
    mlneveseMontresor_SPZaghoulProont