• BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »
    Charname is a whiny brat.

only if you play them that way.

Yes, I do play them that way.

Wouldn't that make you a whiny brat then? Since its you making the choices?

If I play Charname as a murderer does that make me a murderer? If I play a mage and choose a certain spell (let's say magic missile) because I made that choice does that mean I'm capable of actually doing spells and casting magic missile in real life?

Don't be preposterous.

Wise_GrimwaldAngulimala
    megamike15 wrote: »
    @Blackbɨrd
    Charname is whatever YOU make him/her so all you have to do to fix that problem is play Charname differently.

I think that Charname is a ''whiny brat'' by default. By definition a brat is ''typically one that is badly behaved'', ''a person that always gets what they want and the rules are bent in their favor'' and is spoiled/obnoxius.

It is clear Charname is a ''brat'' by default as they don't like/oppose having to share their soul with Jon Irenicus (similar to a child not wanting to share a toy), can't accept that Imoen commited an illegal magical crime and was right to be imprisoned, instead going on some glory misson to ''save her'' instead of just dealing with the proper authorties (cowled wizards) among other actions.

jon was int sharing your soul he takes it and then was leaving you to die. wanting revenge on someone for not only killing your friends but also leaving you for dead is not being brat.

and the way you describe charname makes it seem they are a teenager when they are in their early 20's.

Perhaps charname has the maturity of a teenager? :D:p
    bob_veng wrote: »
    @Blackbɨrd
    Charname is whatever YOU make him/her so all you have to do to fix that problem is play Charname differently.

I think that Charname is a ''whiny brat'' by default. By definition a brat is ''typically one that is badly behaved'', ''a person that always gets what they want and the rules are bent in their favor'' and is spoiled/obnoxius.

It is clear Charname is a ''brat'' by default as they don't like/oppose having to share their soul with Jon Irenicus (similar to a child not wanting to share a toy), can't accept that Imoen commited an illegal magical crime and was right to be imprisoned, instead going on some glory misson to ''save her'' instead of just dealing with the proper authorties (cowled wizards) among other actions.

that's not how the story goes. i'd ask you if you had even played the game, but suspecting you had, i won't ask you anything but rather make a certain conclusion, which i'll keep to myself.

I mean it's very obvious that is not how the story goes at all, it's almost as if I was being sarcastic and making a joke the entire time...

JoKinG?! No, it can't be.. such a thing does not exist!! Especially on the Beamdog forums!!

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's more or less standard these days to use the sarcasm tag, /sarcasm or /s, at the end of sarcastic comments.

Online comments have no tone of voice, no inflection, and no body language. This means sarcasm is virtually indistinguishable from a silly or trolling statement. This is especially true in a thread called "Unpopular opinions." This specific discussion is the one place on this forum where a sarcastic comment would be the most likely to be taken seriously--the entire purpose of the discussion is to post opinions that most people would disagree with.

The sarcasm tag prevents this from happening. Otherwise you accept the risk of people thinking you're being serious. It only takes two buttons to input.
    StummvonBordwehrmegamike15
    semiticgod wrote: »
    It's more or less standard these days to use the sarcasm tag, /sarcasm or /s, at the end of sarcastic comments.

Online comments have no tone of voice, no inflection, and no body language. This means sarcasm is virtually indistinguishable from a silly or trolling statement. This is especially true in a thread called "Unpopular opinions." This specific discussion is the one place on this forum where a sarcastic comment would be the most likely to be taken seriously--the entire purpose of the discussion is to post opinions that most people would disagree with.

The sarcasm tag prevents this from happening. Otherwise you accept the risk of people thinking you're being serious. It only takes two buttons to input.

The use of /s ruins the joke/use of sarcasm, almost always.

''The entire purpose of the discussion is to post opinions that most people would disagree with'', Well my original comment did prove to be very unpopular, so I am contributing to the unpopular opinion thread. Albeit with not my own opinion but with a potential opinion, which anyone could have.

BlackravenIsewein
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Blackbɨrd

that's not how the story goes. i'd ask you if you had even played the game, but suspecting you had, i won't ask you anything but rather make a certain conclusion, which i'll keep to myself.

I mean it's very obvious that is not how the story goes at all, it's almost as if I was being sarcastic and making a joke the entire time...

JoKinG?! No, it can't be.. such a thing does not exist!! Especially on the Beamdog forums!!

Seems liek justification after the fact. If it was a joke the whole time, you would have copped to it in the first response, rather than drag it out. Besides, acting like a whiny teenager, and equating it to being a murder is so not equivalent.
    megamike15Buttercheese
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2019
    @semiticgod that's not even unpopular, get out of here!

EDIT (rephrased as unpopular opinion): definitely not writing that mage nutcracker recipe down.
    Blackravensemiticgoddess
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Hm. Maybe we should just drop it before it gets into a weird semantic argument.

Semanticgod?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited December 2019
    jastey wrote: »
    @Kamigoroshi This might be a start?
    The name looks promising at the very least. Didn't know @subtledoctor had ever worked on a mod that kills off Imoen. Would love to see it eventually completed. :)
    jastey
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited December 2019
    @Kamigoroshi The mod was made by me by @subtledoctor 's design. :) It is completed in itself*: Depending on choice of (hopefully not immersion breaking) reply options, Imoen will survive Spellhold - or not.
    *Well, ok, I was too lazy writing a readme.
    AciferKamigoroshiMirandelWise_Grimwald
    edited April 2021
    @Blackbɨrd

Seems liek justification after the fact. If it was a joke the whole time, you would have copped to it in the first response, rather than drag it out. Besides, acting like a whiny teenager, and equating it to being a murder is so not equivalent.

Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    jastey wrote: »
    On topic: I don't like Imoen's BGII portrait. It looks rediculous and not like Imoen at all. When I played BGII the first time and Imoen opened the PC's cage, I was convinced she's a Doppelganger. Blew my immersion a little when I finally understood that it's supposed to be her, because it fealt like I was expected to go rescue the Doppelganger. :D

I've never managed to find an image of Imoen that I really do like. BG1 Imoen looks too wordly, BG2 Imoen looks so miserable, SoD Imoen has grown on me a bit - but that's not saying much because I hated the picture with a passion when I first saw it.

My favourite Imoen is the one made by @Nixxi : https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12232/original-artwork-imoen/p1

npn7rkcte299.jpg

I just wish she was smiling. And wearing pink . . .
    Balrog99Wise_GrimwaldAerakarAngulimala
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Permidion_Stark not bad. But I admit I like @Acifer 's take on Imoen best: Imoen by Acifer.
    The only reason I did not pester him yet to make this a portrait is that I like my portraits in one style-for-all so I'd need it "baldurized" to use it in game.
    Balrog99Permidion_StarkAcifer
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited December 2019
    In my opinion none of them make Imoen look mischievious enough. :(

This one has got the personality exactly right but IMO is a bit too old, quite fancy her though:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/images/portrait/imoen-0

This one is the nearest to my concept of her:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71663/imoen
    ojmjncwuw5ue.jpg
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited December 2019
    In days of old I use to alt Imoens picture into:
    7dfrsiqdkzdz.png
    Yeah I know what you are thinking, but in my BWS the picture (or a similar) was in the ingame files as an option, and it was before I met my wife - so don’t judge me.

Back then I totally thought it captured her personality...
    Wise_GrimwaldPermidion_Stark
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Blackbɨrd You've already been found out. Just let it go.
    In days of old I use to alt Imoens picture into:
    7dfrsiqdkzdz.png
    Yeah I know what you are thinking, but in my BWS the picture (or a similar) was in the ingame files as an option, and it was before I met my wife - so don’t judge me.

Back then I totally thought it captured her personality...

It captures her personality perfectly.
    StummvonBordwehrPermidion_Stark
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2019
    @StummvonBordwehr and @Wise_Grimwald

They are both quite 'Imoeny' but I don't like using pictures based on film stars because I tend to think of them as the actor not as the character they are playing. Having said that this portrait based on Ellen Page is pretty good:

9aj4tiasvi0m.jpg

And a Baldurised version of Imoen's voice actor Melissa Disney would work pretty well too:

ep76qnjoyg03.jpg

StummvonBordwehrBalrog99ThacoBell
    edited April 2021
    @Blackbɨrd You've already been found out. Just let it go.

Oh.
    Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Unpopular opinion (?)
    Dorn and Hexxat could have been replaced by new evil npcs who scheme and plot bit not necessarily murder innocents, that would make evil npcs more popular and players would welcome them aboard even in good parties.
    JuliusBorisovWise_GrimwaldAerakar
    All right, any further semantic quibbling will be deleted without notice. This is the last post on the matter.
    @semiticgod
    Semanticgoddess?
    Arvia
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @DJKajuru What is this, an actually unpopular opinion in this thread?!

@StummvonBordwehr Hey, I already made that joke! ?
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    Sorry @Buttercheese. It was an unintentional oversight
    JuliusBorisovButtercheese
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion (?)
    Dorn and Hexxat could have been replaced by new evil npcs who scheme and plot bit not necessarily murder innocents, that would make evil npcs more popular and players would welcome them aboard even in good parties.

"The Diet Coke of evil."
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrAerakarButtercheese
    edited December 2019
    Unpopular opinion (?)
    Unpopular opinion (?)

Now that was a real spoiler for me. I'm playing with Dorn in the party for the first time and wasn't aware that killing innocents was on the agenda. :'( At least I am playing an evil party. [Currently 100% evil.]

It goes to show that you have to be very careful concerning who you have as allies. [The UK went to war to preserve the independence of Poland and it was decades later before they got independence. :'( ] Our ally "The Soviet Union" was no better than Germany, and some would say they were worse.
    Balrog99Isewein