Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    I have some problems with my EET installation. For the first one, I have found a work-around. When accepting Aldeth's quest in BG, he tells you to follow him inside, and I can't get in. I was however able to get inside using the console, and from then on everything was OK.

The other problem is with the poison quest. I complete it and am still poisoned. I tried taking Lotyhander's potion and it has no effect. :(

I did a google search for the problem and the answer looks promising here:
    http://rentpu.fucsovics.com/baldur's-gate-marek-and-lothander

However, I couldn't actually open it. :(

Can somebody help?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    I tried taking Lotyhander's potion and it has no effect. :(

Lothander's potion has always been completely ineffective - it's just green-colored water. Marek is the one with the real antidote.
    edited April 2020
    Sorry, I should have said: I took Marek's potion but it had no effect. It is impossible to use Lothander's Potion.

This is obviously a bug and am wondering if changing a global variable would work.

MAREKMOVE VALUE =1

SPRITE_IS_DEADMAREK VALUE =1

00mym5d1cspp.jpg

I am wondering if just deleting the two lines regarding poison party would solve the problem.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    edited May 2020
    I am intending to reinstall my game due to bugs and would like to use EET plus a plethora of mods. Can somebody advise me as to what the best installation tool is nowadays?

Google helped me find what I was looking for:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74335/project-infinity-public-beta
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Korgan (in berserker state) was petrified and I rested (to memorize Stone to Flesh) but then the berserker state ended and he lost 15 hit points and was chunked.
    Is this a bug? It was in no reload play and I think that I should reload the game. Statue should not be in bersker state.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    velehal wrote: »
    Korgan (in berserker state) was petrified and I rested (to memorize Stone to Flesh) but then the berserker state ended and he lost 15 hit points and was chunked.
    Is this a bug? It was in no reload play and I think that I should reload the game. Statue should not be in bersker state.

If you're playing in the current version of the EE then loss of berserker HPs should only render you unconscious, not kill you - so that would be a good argument for reloading.
    No, the problem si that when I rested, Korgan lost 15 hit points as statue (berserker rage has ended when he was statue) and statue was chunked with equipment. I never cast Stone to Flesh because he was already chunked.
    You should have healed him before resting. Of course that may not have been possible. This is a good reason to have healing scrolls and stone to flesh scrolls with you. You don't need a lot of them, just enough to stop your characters' health points dropping too low. I cannot see why he should not still have been in berserker state whilst petrified. I have had similar occurences with PC and accepted the death, but I am no rules expert.
    velehal wrote: »
    No, the problem si that when I rested, Korgan lost 15 hit points as statue (berserker rage has ended when he was statue) and statue was chunked with equipment. I never cast Stone to Flesh because he was already chunked.

I understand that. The point I'm making is that if he had not been petrified, losing the HPs would not have killed (let alone chunked) him. Therefore there's an argument for saying they should not have destroyed the statue either. There is of course a counter-argument that it's well known both that any damage taken by a statue will destroy it and that HPs are lost when rage ends - so chunking in this situation may be seen as quite justifiable.

Personally, I'm with Wise_Grimwald - I would not reload in this situation. However, I only reload in exceptional (game-ending) circumstances even when something is clearly a bug (and this is only arguably one). However, ultimately we're all just playing the game in the way we enjoy best and you can make up your own mind whether you think a reload is justified.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I thought berserker rage protected from petrification
    It does not. I had once the same idea and tried it against basilisk in BG1. It was end of run.
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    For what its worth, I'd fully support a reload in this case as I would tend to view petrification as a complete pause of the biological clock of the target, which is then resumed upon its de-petrification. Therefore, any processes originating in the target itself (be that aging, sweating, blood circulation or, in terms of in-game effects, for example poison, disease or fatigue) should be on hold.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Conceptually, the shattering doesn't make sense. The 15 damage is supposed to just be the removal of the +15 HP granted earlier. Shattering is supposed to be the result of external force.

A Melf's Acid Arrow would have the same impact. The lingering damage from that would also shatter a statue.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    I rather like the image of Korgan breaking himself into pieces under the influence of his own rage! I usually roll a die on this sort of thing, but there are arguments either way.
    So I let him die. The problem is not the death of Korgan, it was relatively early in the SoA so Keldorn is not behind in experience, but the lost of his equipment. He had Ring of Earth Control and if someone else had it, it would save Korgan.
    Not a straightforward decisioin to make at all. I'm glad that it's not mine to make.
    edited June 2020
    Playing EE, no mods.

Question 1

For a change I am playing an evil party. We went to Durlag's Tower and sadly the potion of mirrored eyes which my tank was using ran out just before the basilisk was killed. The basilisk then turned its attention to Viconia and Edwin petrifying them. In the end the only non-petrified member of the party was the PC. :(

I used the green scrolls to turn stone to flesh, but both Edwin and Viconia then left. Was there any way of preventing them leaving the party?

Since they were leaving, I killed them to avoid losing the loot they were carrying. Will I meet them in SoD or are they dead for all time in this game?

Question 2

I neglected to buy a resurrection scroll before going to Balduran's Isle. Party members were killed. Is it possible to raise them before returning to the mainland? My gut feeling is that the answer is no. :(

I believe the off-hand attack always comes last in the round cycle, based on some testing I did regarding monk abilities. (Fun fact: you can trigger abilities like Stunning Fist or Quivering Palm with an off-hand weapon attack if your main hand is a fist; my test character insta-killed a mage with PfMW active this way.)
    edited July 2020
    jessejmc wrote: »
    These tests were done with 1 APR base characters. I'm not sure how it works with 2 APR base and Two-Weapon Style. If the handed attack order is consistent, you could still gain an extra attack with the chosen weapon by swapping immediately before the offhand attack. I'm also not sure how it works with weapons like Belm.

It gets complex and more difficult to get a benefit from. The difficulty is the initiative factor. That gives a random variation of up to 5 segments in how long it takes an attack to take place in a round - and a round is only 10 segments long. At 1 APR that variation doesn't make much difference to the results you're referring to, but with multiple APR it can mean an expected attack with the main hand in the round gets squeezed out (so you may not only end up with no more APR, but have swapped a main hand for a less effective off-hand attack).
    I was playing a solo berserker and in Durlag's Tower was killed by the trap on the chest that holds the grapes. As I was at the experience cap, with some protection against fire and electricity, and enraged as well, I was wondering what other protection I would need for that trap. "Potion of clarity?"
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Wise_Grimwald Are you SURE you were enraged at that particular moment? Enrage does protect against charm.
    edited July 2020
    It's a dire charm trap. Any form of charm immunity, protection against a level 3 targeted spell, or a spell save of 1 or less, is guaranteed to block it. ... Wait, you said you were enraged. That includes charm immunity ... it appears you were killed by a bug. Does that qualify as a reason to reload?
    edited July 2020
    I suppose that it could have run out at precisely the wrong moment. I enraged to fight the skeleton warrior and then had to fight the slimes, so it is possible that I was no longer enraged, though I was when I looked just prior to trying to open the lock. I'm not certain enough to say that it was a bug. The game has now been deleted anyway so it's a moot point.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Charm and domination use the same opcode, and unless rage is modded somehow, rage would grant immunity to both by default. I have heard of elf and half-elf charm immunities somehow canceling immunity to charm from other sources, but I'm not sure if that bug still exists.
    edited July 2020
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Charm and domination use the same opcode, and unless rage is modded somehow, rage would grant immunity to both by default. I have heard of elf and half-elf charm immunities somehow canceling immunity to charm from other sources, but I'm not sure if that bug still exists.

My character was human therefore the elven bug was not relevant. I ran an identical character (Imported) who thrashed BG1 and is now in SoD. :) I think that I just had bad luck concerning the timing of the enrage running out. I was careful about that when I did a re-run.