Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Fire Elementals on the other hand, probably do breath fire. The Plane of Fire, where they come from, is just made entirely of fire, in different forms and states, from what I understand. The air is fire. The ground is fire. So on and so forth.

Which makes me imagine an anticlimax where you summon your mighty fire elemental and then it just flops around like a fish on dry land gasping for fire.

Elementals (that is, the creature type) do not need to eat, breathe or sleep. So, that's why you don't see Fire Elementals suffocating on the Prime Material Plane. :)
    ChroniclergorgonzolaProont
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    still the principle of energy conservation is somehow true also in the FR multiverse. energy can not be created from nothing.
    a mage draws the energy for his spells from the wave, a cleric from his god, and the god himself from the faith of his devotes, as a god is only as powerful as is good to have a large number of followers and worshipers.
    for the creatures living in the material plane the energy to sustain their bodies is obtained eating, dirnking and breathing, for creatures living in other planes, like the fire elementals, it should happens something similar, even if they don't need to eat, drink and breathe they must get their energy from somewhere, probably directly by the fire itself, even if not breathing.
    so if they are in the prime material plane for too long, not near at something that is filled of fire energy, like let's say a volcano, even if they would not die like a fish on dry land they should suffer after some time of starving, in a way similar to the one that a humanoid suffers by fasting for too long, after all to sustain their inner fire is very energy consuming.
    but apparently it is not so, at least for the ones that we find permanently in the game, while the ones temporarily summoned does not pose the problem as a summoned warrior does not pose the problem to have to summon also food to sustain him for the short time he is present.

if there is a single fire elemental in the game that lives permanently in some area without a fire source near by, at now i can not remember a single one. also the fire giants, that possibly sustain themselves in the same way, at their base have huge fire pits to replenish their energy, if they draw their energy from food i can only imagine how much food they need each day as they are big and need a lot of energy for their inner fire, and a dragon like firkraag is even worst, i bet that he needs to eat many cows each day to barely survive.
    ProontZaramMaldovarsemiticgoddessZaxares
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think mages draw energy for their spells from The Weave. It's not like there's some reactor core they're siphoning somewhere. It's just sort of an abstract thing they use for their magic.

With priests there is the understanding that there's some material entity empowering their magic. They wouldn't talk about it in clinical terms like "energy" but it's fair to say that there's some sort of fuel source for their spectacular nonsense. I don't think it's a consistent thing that any time something scientifically implausible happens there's some energy source involved to explain why that ogres heart doesn't explode or whatever.

I could be way off base here though.
    ZaramMaldovargorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    jmerry wrote: »
    can't we have a spell that does what its name says it does?

free action? no, surely not that one! :D

mlnevesewoogirlZaramMaldovar
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @jmerry
    Neutralize Poison
    Raise Dead
    Monster Summoning
    Protection from (Insert Thing Here)
    Fireball
    Delayed Blast Fireball
    The list goes on....

Sorry I knew what you meant, I just felt like being a smart aleck.
    ThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm going to answer with more smart aleckiness, just for funsies:

Neutralize Poison: Doesn't neutralize poisoned weapons or disable a spider's poison attack
    Raise Dead: Doesn't raise dead; it makes dead stuff stop being dead
    Monster Summoning: Actually more like "conjuring" since they appear from thin air instead of running over to answer a summons
    Protection from (Insert Thing Here): Protection from Energy doesn't even make you immune to energy, Protection from Evil doesn't stop evil critters from hitting you, Protection from Fire only grants 80% resistance in Icewind Dale
    Fireball: "Ball" isn't fully spherical
    Delayed Blast Fireball: Isn't delayed if you target an enemy directly with it
    ZaramMaldovarProontThacoBell
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Page 73: The one where you know nothing, Zaram Maldovar
    gorgonzola
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Haste: Doesn't make waste

Yes it does: it fatigues you.
    Gate: Summons a demon instead of a gate

It does create a gate, out of which the fiend comes.
    gorgonzolaZaramMaldovarChroniclerMontresor_SP
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited August 2020
    "We have a asylum full of powerful and insane casters. Lets lock then into their cells with their spellbooks and nothing to cause magical failure. What bad can happen?"
    Permidion_StarkProontsemiticgoddessMontresor_SP
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Mook: I saw this dude looking funny at me all day.

What I want to say: Obviously a vampire, please hide behind my back.

Allowed responses: You're silly in the head. / Oooh what could it be? Why don't you check it out?
    Balrog99ThacoBellProontMontresor_SP
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I think that is on purpose because of the meaning of her name.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    borntodieBalrog99
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited August 2020
    lroumen wrote: »
    I think that is on purpose because of the meaning of her name.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mook

slang
    : a foolish, insignificant, or contemptible person

I didn't realise the name had a meaning, I didn't know this word.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Basically the same things happen every game. You're telling me, there's not a possibility that Saemon Havarian falls over on the slippery ship deck, snapping his neck or sustaining brain damage?
    Montresor_SP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    borntodie wrote: »

Allowed responses: You're silly in the head. / Oooh what could it be? Why don't you check it out?

Baldur's Gate logic: A guy looks funny at a gal all day and survives, then shows up at night as a vampire.

While this is hilarious, he probably was a live spy for the vampire that would show up later.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    borntodie wrote: »

Baldur's Gate logic: A guy looks funny at a gal all day and survives, then shows up at night as a vampire.

While this is hilarious, he probably was a live spy for the vampire that would show up later.

Wait, was it this guy?

3u7q6s2goru3.jpg
    ProontMontresor_SP
    I feel like I should know that reference...

Hint: Salem's Lot
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Gah, it LOOKS faintly familiar. But the name means nothing to me. Now I'm wondering what my brain is actually pulling from...
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2020
    Vampire novel from S. King, from the time when vampires have their shirts on in the stories.
    Balrog99
    edited August 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Gah, it LOOKS faintly familiar. But the name means nothing to me. Now I'm wondering what my brain is actually pulling from...

It's from the 1979 TV mini-series. He's Mr. Straker, the mortal watchdog of the master vampire (Barlow).

Edit: Btw, that movie (mini-series?) scared the crap out of me and my cousin when it first came out. It's a bit dated now but it's still plenty creepy. It's marginally better than your typical horror B-movie so worth a look if you like that kind of ?.

The novel is even better!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    From the description of Kiel's Buckler:
    This is the buckler of Kiel the Legion Killer, firstborn son of Durlag Trollkiller and Clan-prince of his father's ill-fated tower. Its light weight and excellent craftsmanship increase the Dexterity of all who bear it by a single point.

Oh, so its light weight and excellent craftsmanship make you more agile than you would be if you weren't using a shield at all?
    ChroniclerBalrog99ProontMontresor_SP
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    From the description of Kiel's Buckler:
    This is the buckler of Kiel the Legion Killer, firstborn son of Durlag Trollkiller and Clan-prince of his father's ill-fated tower. Its light weight and excellent craftsmanship increase the Dexterity of all who bear it by a single point.

Oh, so its light weight and excellent craftsmanship make you more agile than you would be if you weren't using a shield at all?

This shield is in fact mostly helium, wrapped in a thin film of beholder flesh specially cured to continue levitating long after the beholder's death. If you jump, while carrying it, you float for a bit before the weight of your body pulls you back to the ground. Like Yoshi.
    OlvynChuruThacoBellProontMontresor_SP