Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited October 2020
    We made lots of jokes about "Shadowheart" name indeed, not many of them over My little pony references in this thread. :D They made some peculiar choices in their cast of companions.
    Not really a fan of the names with an apostrophe, but that´s a Githyanki thing so I expect to see a lot of "`"s ingame.

If we´re talking about names, I also find the name "Wyll" a little strange, personally. Well, I´m not into names like "I´m Staci with an i" and stuff like that I keep imagining the guy introducing himself

"Hi, I´m Wyll with an Y, and I´m very into warlocking and stuff. OMG, is that a holly molly tadpole in my eye?. That´s sooo last world-breaking crisis
    Holly gosh, you too? I was like, chilling out and planning to crush my next mani-pedi and then that creepy tentacle guy appears and I was like... I´m not into that kinky kara-tur stuff. And it totally put a tadpole in my eye, messing up my daily fat perc and also my hair. Where I´m going to find a decent snipper in this wilderness?"

Maybe when I actually hear the guy the mental image will disappear so I´m very eager to hear the guy because it´s the only one we do not have a proper introduction.

And yeah, I assume Shadowheart is a made-up name. At least I hope it is.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The companions just aren't very interesting so far. I have no real desire to travel with any of them. Any not yet released will hopefully be better.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @ThacoBell If I had to pick one that I like the least it would be the vampire. I have never been a fan of vampires. I flat out avoided ever playing one in all the Elder Scrolls games. They just simply don’t appeal to me. It is highly likely that he will serve the same fate that Khalid often would serve in BG1.. sacrificial lamb..
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Dunski I agree with a good chunk of what you just said, buuuuuuut...
    "Might as well have a playable gnoll."

This would honestly double my esteem for the game. I know, not a high bar, but give me some unusual races to play for once! Everything playable is always vaguely mammalian and human shaped. Give me Gnolls, Kobolds, those sweet mantis dudes. ANYTHING.

We got Githyanki this time. That was bonus points for me.
    deltago wrote: »
    @Dunski I agree with a good chunk of what you just said, buuuuuuut...
    "Might as well have a playable gnoll."

This would honestly double my esteem for the game. I know, not a high bar, but give me some unusual races to play for once! Everything playable is always vaguely mammalian and human shaped. Give me Gnolls, Kobolds, those sweet mantis dudes. ANYTHING.

We got Githyanki this time. That was bonus points for me.

Githyanki are uncommon, but so very humanlike in physiology. I'd rather have something that's pbviously in-human from the silhouette alone.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited October 2020
    Dunski wrote: »
    The origin characters are all such clichés. They're over-the-top fantasty tropes cranked up to 150%. While Baldur's Gate had some companions that were a little cartoonish, most of them were grounded and believable members of Faerûn's society. They had their quirks and oddities but were not wildly unusual individuals as a whole. You had your arrogant red wizard, your violent dwarf, your grizzled paladin working for his church, your young noblewoman seeking to reclaim her family's castle and then make her own way in the world, and so on. They weren't absurd characters, they weren't total clichés. Most of them were realistic people. Moreover, some of the ones that are now considered stereotypes were invented by BG.

Mmm... agree to disagree on this point. Strongly.

Edwin was ridiculous and self monologued - was even eventually turned into a woman (Absurd).
    Minsc was, well - if I have to explain why Minsc was a ridiculous character, then we shouldnt be talking (Absurd).
    Jaheira was a sterotypical nagging woman/wife who bossed her husband around(Cliche)
    Nalia was a sterotypical noble woman with a heart of gold(Cliche)
    Safana is another major cliche.
    Jan Jansen was the very embodiment of absurd.

"The kawaii big-eyed purple-haired gnome or halfling female with a squeaky voice" - Sounds like Alora to me.

I sometimes think people are so caught up in nostolgia that they forget that BG1 and 2 were flawed products, and a lot of their criticisms of what they expect from BG3 can be fairly levied at BG1/2.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @BallpointMan as much as Ajantis is my main man in BG1 there is no denying that he is a total stereotype. Except his purple helm... that thing had style all over it.. still to this day can’t figure out why it was brushed aside.. I am talking to you Beamdog!!!! ?
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    I sometimes think people are so caught up in nostolgia that they forget that BG1 and 2 were flawed products, and a lot of their criticisms of what they expect from BG3 can be fairly levied at BG1/2.

Yep, I even agree with a bunch of Dunski's criticisms -- the vampire character seems especially weak. But with BG1 especially, many of the NPC's were one-dimensional, exaggerated cliches. Khalid is more or less one extended joke in BG1. Same with Quayle. Same with Coran even. These characters and several others are largely defined by one personality trait driven to extreme.

And I don't even think that's necessarily wrong. Minsc is a clown of a character, but highly memorable as well. So was Edwin. I'd actually argue that this cartoonish-ness is more in line with the BG series than say what the Pillars series did with its attempt at more realistic characters.

Again, I also think it's insanely premature to judge any of these characters. If someone described Minsc's character in a non-spoiler way, what would that description look like? Not too different from these BG3 NPC's, I'd argue.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i really feel the nostalgia card is the last thing to be thrown around in this forum. alot of people replay the games for either no reload runs or when a new mod comes out.
    @BallpointMan No one's saying that BG 1 and 2 were never absurd or over the top. But for every Xzar, there's a Keldorn. For every Minsc, there's a Korgan. Heck, even with Minsc, he GETS down to moments, like when he goes into a rage and Keldorn talks him down and Minsc is thankful. Every companion revealed so far from Larian has been over the top. There's an important distinction there.
    edited October 2020
    @BallpointMan No one's saying that BG 1 and 2 were never absurd or over the top. But for every Xzar, there's a Keldorn. For every Minsc, there's a Korgan. Heck, even with Minsc, he GETS down to moments, like when he goes into a rage and Keldorn talks him down and Minsc is thankful. Every companion revealed so far from Larian has been over the top. There's an important distinction there.

A - we really dont know much of anything about the characters. So the only "over the top"ness about them comes from... a paragraph of introductory information? Something roughly equivalent to the Biography screen in the character record in BG 1 or 2.

B - We havent met all of the characters, so it's impossible to really know what the ratio of good or bad characters are going to be.

C - From the inciting post, the claim was generally put forward that the cast of BG1/2 fits into the world of Faerun and arent all that absurd (even citing Edwin as an example of a non absurd character). I think that's debatable and probably false. The majority of companion characters in BG 1 and 2 are cliche'd and/or absurd.

Edit - which is fine. They're fun to play with. I like Edwin/Minsc/Jan Jansen a whole lot. They're amusing.

Not all of them, but most of them.
    @BallpointMan

A. You'll notice I specifically said "revealed so far." I already added that caveat. Its 100% reasonable to criticize known information.

B. See point "A"

C. The BG characters, by majority, weren't cliche at the time of release. Some are only considered cliches now because of what BG1 established.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Even if they were cliche, they were decent characters. For the most part they weren't campy, silly, or over-the-top ridiculous. Everything i've read about the BG3 companions tells me they fit all of the previous descriptions.

Apply this to the story as a whole in fact.
    Not sure I agree with all of those, but some of the points raised are pretty good and I hadn't considered them that way before.
    well it's alittle obvious with aerie and viconia. they are not your typical white mage character type you see in rpgs.
    edited October 2020
    @BallpointMan

A. You'll notice I specifically said "revealed so far." I already added that caveat. Its 100% reasonable to criticize known information.

B. See point "A"

C. The BG characters, by majority, weren't cliche at the time of release. Some are only considered cliches now because of what BG1 established.

You said "Every companion revealed so far from Larian has been over the top.". I took that to mean the ones we've been introduced to, not what we know about them. Either way, you're literally judging a book by its cover.

Also, flatly - no. Jaheira didnt invent the nagging wife cliche. Safana didnt invent the sultry "all about seduction" woman. Those were thinly disguised sexist tropes that have existed for MUCH longer than video games. Dont take my word for it, here's one of the credited writers from Siege of Dragonspear saying the same thing

Edwin is a walking cartoon character. Monologing to himself and pointlessly evil. Minsc is super absurd too, although I dont recall a character like him beforehand. Points for originality? He's still absurd.
    Even if they were cliche, they were decent characters. For the most part they weren't campy, silly, or over-the-top ridiculous. Everything i've read about the BG3 companions tells me they fit all of the previous descriptions.

Apply this to the story as a whole in fact.

Edwin, Jan Jansen and Minsc are all campy and silly and over the top. Xan sort of fits here too, taken in a different direction. Those are the most extreme examples - I suspect none of the BG3 companions will come close to being as "over the top" as those three/four.
    Post edited by BallpointMan on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020
    Also, flatly - no. Jaheira didnt invent the nagging wife cliche. Safana didnt invent the sultry "all about seduction" woman. Those were thinly disguised sexist tropes that have existed for MUCH longer than video games. Dont take my word for it, here's the lead writer from Siege of Dragonspear saying the same thing

Not to take away from your point here but this claim that Amber was the lead writer, and not a lead writer, needs to go to rest. I've seen it repeated way too often over the years.

Like if you'd said the lead writer of Safana that would be one thing. Even then this was all a joint effort and everything had to get approval from WoTC (as well as incorporate feedback).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020
    Apparently the storage requirements on Steam have been updated to say it will take 150gb of space. So I guess I'll be downloading it for like a week.

6t6u7oif31sf.png

Although I think what that might just be saying is that it needs 150 gb to download and then install. So the actually download will maybe only be like 75. We'll see.
    edited October 2020
    elminster wrote: »
    Also, flatly - no. Jaheira didnt invent the nagging wife cliche. Safana didnt invent the sultry "all about seduction" woman. Those were thinly disguised sexist tropes that have existed for MUCH longer than video games. Dont take my word for it, here's the lead writer from Siege of Dragonspear saying the same thing

Not to take away from your point here but this claim that Amber was the lead writer, and not a lead writer, needs to go to rest.

Like if you'd said the lead writer of Safana that would be one thing. Even then this was all a joint effort and everything had to get approval from WoTC (as well as incorporate feedback).

Okay. I've edited my post to reflect that. In the credits she and Andrew Foley are equally credited on the writing, with additional writing having an additional inclusion.
    Apparently the storage requirements on Steam have been updated to say it will take 150gb of space. So I guess I'll be downloading it for like a week.

6t6u7oif31sf.png

Although I think what that might just be saying is that it needs 150 gb to download and then install. So the actually download will maybe only be like 75. We'll see.

do we know if thats for the whole game or just ea?

i fear the size my be getting bigger. and with how slow my internet connection has been for the last 5 years 150 gb is a no go for me.
    edited October 2020
    Edwin, Jan Jansen and Minsc are all campy and silly and over the top. Xan sort of fits here too, taken in a different direction. Those are the most extreme examples - I suspect none of the BG3 companions will come close to being as "over the top" as those three/four.

Also Tiax. Way I see it, BG can get away with a few silly comic relief characters because there are something like 30 possible companions between both games. They run the gamut from serious, like Yeslick, Kivan, and Valygar, to silly, like Jan.

BG3 has a far smaller cast from what I've seen, meaning every character flaw is going to shine through that much more, since you have far less freedom to choose who is right for you. And less replayability, which is a massive deal.
    the most wacky characters were the gnomes. which caused a stereotype in itself as now every gnome in a rpg had to be weird. and that made grobnar exist and i hate it.
    edited October 2020
    megamike15 wrote: »
    the most wacky characters were the gnomes. which caused a stereotype in itself as now every gnome in a rpg had to be weird. and that made grobnar exist and i hate it.

I believe this stereotype of gnomes created by every game designer as a one-dimensional comic relief character is what caused them to lose their status as a player race.

Also Tiax. Way I see it, BG can get away with a few silly comic relief characters because there are something like 30 possible companions between both games. They run the gamut from serious, like Yeslick, Kivan, and Valygar, to silly, like Jan.

BG3 has a far smaller cast from what I've seen, meaning every character flaw is going to shine through that much more, since you have far less freedom to choose who is right for you. And less replayability, which is a massive deal.

I always forget about Tiax. Never used him in BG 1, and he certainly is wacky in BG2, but not a companion. If we extended this out to "Wacky characters in general", I feel like there would be dozens and dozens of examples.

I will happily agree with your second point. The fact that BG3 has fewer companions means each one is more significant in their impact than a single NPC from BG 1 or 2. It will go both ways: if the NPCs are bad, it'll pull the game down. if they're good, then it' buoy's the game significantly.

While I cannot predict that the characters will be good or bad, the fact that they are "origin" characters means they'll probably have a lot more story/background/reactivity than any conventional companion in BG 1 or 2.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    Minsc is super absurd too, although I dont recall a character like him beforehand. Points for originality? He's still absurd.

Minsc is a dumber Don Quixote. As well the endearingly chivalrous but low intelligence sidekick isn't anything new. The "gentle giant" trope. It's very well-tread territory. It's also not bad. But it is cliche seeming at a superficial level, exactly the kind of level folks are using to write off BG3 characters.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

6t6u7oif31sf.png

This may also be the uncompressed size. The download may be smaller.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    edited October 2020
    mlnevese wrote: »
    6t6u7oif31sf.png

This may also be the uncompressed size. The download may be smaller.

It might also be a placeholder number.

In any case I'll need to either finish up another game I'm playing or buy another harddrive. Then again I was planning on waiting till a bit into early access at least anyway...
    DinoDin wrote: »
    Minsc is super absurd too, although I dont recall a character like him beforehand. Points for originality? He's still absurd.

Minsc is a dumber Don Quixote. As well the endearingly chivalrous but low intelligence sidekick isn't anything new. The "gentle giant" trope. It's very well-tread territory. It's also not bad. But it is cliche seeming at a superficial level, exactly the kind of level folks are using to write off BG3 characters.

Even with Minsc, we get a deeper look into him than just his jokiness. We see him slide into more uncertainty with Dynaheir's death. You can see him clinging more quickly to anyone that can provide that missing emotional support. Keldorn and Aerie being the standouts.