Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    As I was writing the below I realized I was being obtuse but for in depth weight on camping supplies according to PnP rules click below. TL;DR, camping supplies should weigh more if this was PnP.
    I mean, it's not unreasonable? If we assume "Camping supplies and rations" is a tent, rations, and a bedroll.

A small tent in pathfinder is 20lbs, a bedroll is 5lbs, and a day's worth of rations is 1lb. So each camping supplies should be at least 26lbs while in game each is 10. If we assume 1 big tent like is shown in game then one that can hold four creatures is 40lbs. But since it's a 6 man party you'd go up to a pavilion which is 60lbs.

So 60lb tent, 6 bedrolls (30lbs) and then rations for 6 people, 6lbs.

So they should be 96lbs if we're going by PnP. Granted the only thing that would get consumed is the rations but in game rations for 6 is only 60lbs.

But you don't consume any of that but the rations. The tent and bedroll are indefinitely reuseable. And more than one person can sleep in a tent. The game makes you carry a separate tent and bedroll for every rest.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Oh, I bring that up in the last sentence, and thought that it weighing less justifies the fact that it's consumed.

I guess a better system is you need to carry tent which is x pounds, sleeping bags that can be one item that weighs x pounds, and then you just either re-buy rations or hunt.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    As I was writing the below I realized I was being obtuse but for in depth weight on camping supplies according to PnP rules click below. TL;DR, camping supplies should weigh more if this was PnP.
    I mean, it's not unreasonable? If we assume "Camping supplies and rations" is a tent, rations, and a bedroll.

A small tent in pathfinder is 20lbs, a bedroll is 5lbs, and a day's worth of rations is 1lb. So each camping supplies should be at least 26lbs while in game each is 10. If we assume 1 big tent like is shown in game then one that can hold four creatures is 40lbs. But since it's a 6 man party you'd go up to a pavilion which is 60lbs.

So they should be 96lbs if we're going by PnP. Granted the only thing that would get consumed is the rations but in game rations for 6 is only 60lbs.

But you don't consume any of that but the rations. The tent and bedroll are indefinitely reuseable. And more than one person can sleep in a tent. The game makes you carry a separate tent and bedroll for every rest.
    Well, you're probably carrying firewood for your fires as you wouldn't be sure of its availability everywhere you may go. Also food in a game like this is not like food from a supermarket. For a pound of consumable food, you probably will have to carry several pounds of raw ingredients. And you should need at least one pound of consumable food per meal per person, and way more than that especially for the warrior types and if you haven't eaten all day. You're also going to be consuming a lot of water throughout your adventuring, not just when you rest, and that could be factored in as well. All in all, I agree that 10 lbs is quite reasonable for rations.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567

Yes, the game sacrifices realism for a predictable game metric. This isn't exactly something novel in a game.
    DrHappyAngry
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    DinoDin wrote: »
    Yes, the game sacrifices realism for a predictable game metric. This isn't exactly something novel in a game.

This. They're abstracting away some of the individual supplies and just using rations rather than having to have individual items like fire wood, kindling, water, food, pots and pans, oil (for cleaning metal weapons and armor), whetstones, tents and blankets. Think about how much water you'd be going through just washing the gore off, cleaning yourself and your gear as well as cooking. I'd think most of the food made at the camps would be stews that were boiled to make sure they're sanitary, just like what most people in the middle ages ate. Not that they understood that it killed the bacteria, just that they had noticed people didn't get sick from eating well boiled food.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Most importantly. In PnP. You can get a goddamn wagon and cart the rations on it ;)
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited October 2020
    And get some freaking horses or boats so you can actually travel the lands faster than a turtle... heck, you can even summon them.
    scriver
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Wait, wait, wait... animal companions also require their rations each day! A smilodon ain't exactly a breatharian after all. But on the other hand, I think Jaethal won't need her portion on food or water. That's one of the upsides of being undead after all.
    scriver
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Dragging a cart into a dungeon is not a good idea.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    You leave the cart at the gate and send the hirelings back up to get the rations and risk all ambushes ;)
    PsicoVic
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    scriver wrote: »
    You leave the cart at the gate and send the hirelings back up to get the rations and risk all ambushes ;)

I read "hirelings" as "halflings", and now I'm imagining a cart being pulled by a cadre of halflings.

FWIW - I totally get why people dont like the ration system, but I always found it a fun gameplay decision. Having mods that adjust their weight seems like a wonderful compromise to give everyone what they want out of it.

(I do think it would have been another interesting level of management if the game allowed you to use spells to create rations or something approaching them. Then I'd get to decide between spell slots, weight and risk when in a dungeon).
    I supposse you can create a spell that summons a ration. RAW in the "create food and water" spell the summons disappear if you do not consume them so you cannot hoard lots of rations for later. I.e. you actually have to spend a spell to get them. I do not think that would be game-breaking.
    Not so easy to make it as a mod the "disappearing food" part tho.

In "Call of the wild" they have the "song or march" for the skalds, that reduces fatigue when you´re travelling, but that is based on a food buff already in the game.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    I supposse you can create a spell that summons a ration. RAW in the "create food and water" spell the summons disappear if you do not consume them so you cannot hoard lots of rations for later. I.e. you actually have to spend a spell to get them. I do not think that would be game-breaking.
    Not so easy to make it as a mod the "disappearing food" part tho.

In "Call of the wild" they have the "song or march" for the skalds, that reduces fatigue when you´re travelling, but that is based on a food buff already in the game.

In my mind, it would be something like - an option in the rest screen. You need to have the spell slots prepared, and for each one, you get a ration (or something).

Hunting/Use Supplies/Summon Food. Something like that. In a dungeon, you lose the Hunting option, but can still use your supplies or summon food.
    PsicoVicSkatan
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    Everything about Pathfinder tells me that I would like it, and I should really try it, but tabletop RPG worlds are a big investment for me. I enjoy roleplaying a character most when I am familiar with the world enough to know what my place in it "should" be. That means I gotta read source books, think things over, it's a lotta work I tell ya.

But I think I might do it to give Kingmaker a try, at least. I've seen almost nothing but praise of it.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    What annoyed me about the ration system is I was already carrying a crap load of food from the ingredients from recipes.

It should have been weighted tents, with heavier ones giving better resting bonuses, the ability to scavenge for flammable material for cooking and warmth much like the hunter could hunt to save rations and the food you find being consumable (but also perishable) with the recipes giving bonuses if you combine the right food and pass the cooking skill check.

It was poor implementation IMO.

Besides that, I did enjoy the resting mechanic more in this game than in others. I am not a fan of rest scumming in RPGs and the skill checks for each party member during rest was great.
    Skatan
    Everything about Pathfinder tells me that I would like it, and I should really try it, but tabletop RPG worlds are a big investment for me. I enjoy roleplaying a character most when I am familiar with the world enough to know what my place in it "should" be. That means I gotta read source books, think things over, it's a lotta work I tell ya.

But I think I might do it to give Kingmaker a try, at least. I've seen almost nothing but praise of it.

It's an excellent game imo. But, fair warning, it's not big on the "role-playing" aspect of RPG. It's very much geared towards people who want to enjoy number-crunching and near endless combat scenarios.

There are plenty of role-playing elements. Lots of moral choices and other decisions that have long lasting impact in the game. But it's all so rudimentary and vanilla that it's impossible to recommend the game based on that aspect.
    deltago wrote: »
    What annoyed me about the ration system is I was already carrying a crap load of food from the ingredients from recipes.

It should have been weighted tents, with heavier ones giving better resting bonuses, the ability to scavenge for flammable material for cooking and warmth much like the hunter could hunt to save rations and the food you find being consumable (but also perishable) with the recipes giving bonuses if you combine the right food and pass the cooking skill check.

It was poor implementation IMO.

Besides that, I did enjoy the resting mechanic more in this game than in others. I am not a fan of rest scumming in RPGs and the skill checks for each party member during rest was great.

Yeah, in a funny irony one of the best games to create an effective resting mechanic was the original NES Final Fantasy. It was absurd from a realism perspective, but they did this exact thing where you could buy a "tent" or "cabin" or "house" etc. As a way to rest. With the varying levels healing more and restoring more spells. More RPG's that rely on a resting mechanic should adopt some kind of iteration of this mechanic.
    This is a slight side tangent, but the original Final Fantasy I think is a fantastic "D&D but it's not D&D" game.
    BallpointManDinoDinWarChiefZeke
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Reached LV 8 on ch 1. How? Soloing and doing ALL random encounters and other things. Empowered fireballs + animate dead made the stag lord a cakewalk even on challenging.

Screenshot
    GpvSvd5.jpeg

My stats on ch 1
    creH5pk.jpeg

I an enjoying a lot the "Sage Sorcerer". For solo players, be able to have INT means that you can train more skills and it increases the soloability.
    bleusteelJuliusBorisov
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    You can get to level 9 before Stag Lord I think, even without random encounters.
    You can get to level 9 before Stag Lord I think, even without random encounters.

That is tier 5 magic(wizard) on the first chapter. WOW
    edited December 2020
    Nok Nok joined on my party. He at lv 7. I at lv 12. Any way to solo the puzzle near Varnhold?
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Nok Nok joined on my party. He at lv 7. I at lv 12. Any way to solo the puzzle near Varnhold?

If you enable shared experience and then join him, he should be the same level as charname.

You need 3 party members for the puzzle. Animal companions work. Summons might also work but I haven’t tried it.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited January 2021
    Purchased beneath a stolen land and installed yesterday, though GOG decided by itself to also against my intentions install the regular PKM patches. Now trying to start the game, it get stuck at the PKM logo. The load meter shows and fills, the music plays, but nothing happens. No intro, no menu.

I removed the SkipIntro mod I had (Edit; and that didn't work), but I am posting here today to ask if anyone perhaps knows or can speculate on whether or not I need to remove all mods (and perhaps un/reinstall the game from scratch?) to play it. I had deliberately decided not to install patches to the main game just to avoid them breaking mods out of pure laziness to update mods etc afterwards, but dear old GOG screw that up unfortunately.

Anyways, any advice for a lazy sod like me would be appreciated. I would just prefer to not having to start from scratch. I guess I can copy and keep the saves of course, but it's just the time investment I would have preferred to skip.
    edited January 2021
    depending on which mods you use they made need to be updated, I remember specifically Better Vendors had an update that said "Load times have been resolved" so maybe it's that mod?

Edit: Also the update from 2.08 to 2.1 I think broke nearly every existing mod so they all had to be updated to 2.1
    Skatan
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I have no idea what patch my mods are from and for and not sure how to see it either since I can't open the game and check the ctrl+10. Must have been like a year ago at least I modded the game and stopped the patching, though I have a vague recollection it might have said 2.1.5 or something.

Anyways, it not a huge hassle to reinstall mods I guess, but uninstalling, redownloading and installing the game was the time sink I would have loved to skip. Even just the DLC was almost 10 gigs itself.

Anyways, thanks for your reply! Let''s see if I get the thumb out my behind and do it some day.
    Cahir
    edited May 2021
    It´s amazing that the guys of Owlcat are still doing bugfixing after two years, maybe some studios should take note (ubisoft, Obsidian, Bethesda, etc cof cof cof) but right now I have the game modded to infinity and beyond because I already played the vanilla game any way humanly possible.
    I forgot to switch off the patch updates and I installed the last one.

Do you have any issues with it? because right now I have some problems, like continuous messages like "x creature is immune to "y" because of difficulty settings" , sometimes no resting, respec character issues and some stuff like that. I wonder if it´s because of the mods or it´s a flawed patch... (and I do not really want to reinstall everything without knowing)
    I heard craft magic items is interfering with resting somehow, as for the immune thing people said the buffs are applying, the message is just an error, but Ihope they release a hotfix regardless.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Anyone playing the new Pathfinder does it suffer from the sudden difficulty spikes Kingmaker has?
    It´s still in the beta phase and the playable part of the game is not all the game has to offer.

I´d say no, not really, but in the original kingmaker I didn´t feel the difficulty spikes until the endgame and the (dread) House of the end of time so I do not really know, I´ll reserve my opinion until I could play the entire game.
    mlnevese