Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Dark Sun was ana amazing setting. It's a shame it only works really well in second edition rules.

Have to agree with you there. Dark Sun turned the arbitrary class limitations of 2E, and its leveling system, into something central to the setting. If everyone can suddenly do everything, if there is a hard level cap of 40, the worldbuilding of Dark Sun breaks down. It's a strictly 2e setting in my opinion, but one of my all time favorites.
    PokotaAerakarmlnevese
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    There are many sites for finding good names for characters, but this one is superb.
    https://www.mithrilandmages.com/utilities/MedievalBrowse.php?letter=W&fms=F
    bleusteelAerakarStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Could be the other way around. Obviously all our favorite movies and stuff don't just hold a microphone up to a dragon to get their dragon sounds.

Wonder how many iconic dragons have been sampled from an alligator?
    edited October 2020
    A wild boar also makes quite a scary sound if you disturb one in the jungle. You hear the sound of them running through the undergrowth and that is followed by a scary roar. Apparently it does that when it is scared. I wish that I'd known!

ChroniclerGrond0ThacoBellWarChiefZeke
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Could be the other way around. Obviously all our favorite movies and stuff don't just hold a microphone up to a dragon to get their dragon sounds.

Wonder how many iconic dragons have been sampled from an alligator?

King Kong was a backwards tiger roar iirc. Foley art is kinda underappreciated. I think the cave troll in LotR was 3 different animal sounds?
    Adam_en_tiumWarChiefZekeChronicler
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    A wild boar also makes quite a scary sound if you disturb one in the jungle. You hear the sound of them running through the undergrowth and that is followed by a scary roar. Apparently it does that when it is scared. I wish that I'd known!

Boars sound like a demon out of hell and they have the personality to match. Can be vicious things.
    Arvia
    edited October 2020

Boars sound like a demon out of hell and they have the personality to match. Can be vicious things.

When I went to Nepal in the 80s they were running through the undergrowth two or three yards away from me, but I couldn't see them. It was that which made them scary!

Last year one was following me about two yards away wanting to be fed. The guide was ushering me away knowing how dangerous they can be! (A sloth bear came equally close but I was in a jeep. No problem. It too was after bananas.) They have lost their fear of people which is now a problem!

I saw a rhino attack another. It made be glad of the vegetation between us!!

Even domesticated animals can be dangerous. A sow attacked a friend of mine who had to vault a gate to escape, and a cow killed a friend's father. :(
    WarChiefZekeAerakar
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    all of fall from grace's spell chants are slowed down japanese. the only one i could make out was namaste.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    megamike15 wrote: »
    all of fall from grace's spell chants are slowed down japanese. the only one i could make out was namaste.

Sorry for acting the know-it-all, but isn't "namaste" Sanskrit?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    No, it's Hindu.

Namaste

One of Grace's spell chants is Shiawase which means "Good fortune".

(I don't speak either language - or Sanskrit - but I've a very good friend called Google. :smile: )
    Balrog99mlnevese
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    odd about dorn. i knew about the no leavening thing in tob as i guess bioware thought as it's the end of the journey party members should not leave.

beamdog seemed to not understand that as tob has a conflict between rassad and seravok.
    Montresor_SP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    megamike15 wrote: »
    odd about dorn. i knew about the no leavening thing in tob as i guess bioware thought as it's the end of the journey party members should not leave.

beamdog seemed to not understand that as tob has a conflict between rassad and seravok.

I find the Rasaad/Sarevok conflict more consistent and believable than ToB's blanket "everyone gets along now", personally.
    elminsterWise_GrimwaldRedRodentMontresor_SP
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Did you know that in Icewind Dale 2 on Heart of Fury Mode, the basic goblins in the prologue have 157 HP? IWD2's Heart of Fury Mode is utterly ridiculous.
    ThacoBellelminsterWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
    Did you know you can sell bandit scalps to the bartender in the Feldepost's Inn? He buys them at 25 gold. Not as profitable as selling them to Officer Vai, but maybe someone needs to do that when the Officer is not around.

That bartender can also buy Wyverns' Heads.

I didn't know about the wyvern heads. That could be useful on occasion particularly if you have returned to Beregost to raise dead. Fighting wyverns is dangerous.
    JuliusBorisovArviaMontresor_SPelminster