Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Arvia The way I see it, if they were meant to be unlimited, they would be. They are rare and come with so few charges specficially because they are meant to be temporary boosts or emergency buttons. You can sell and buy the godbow as well (it sells for a million gold iirc), that doesn't mean it was intended for normal runs.

Oh, and where, may I ask, you can find the godbow in the game, other than when you use the console?

There's a note in chateu Irenicus where Irenicus wonders on the kind of sacrifice it took to obtain such a weapon. The game recognizes it on import, so it clearly is intended by the devs to be consoled in during BG1 at some point.

First of all, that's great and I love Beamdog for that. Little things go a long way.

Second, yer tellin' me that Irenicus found the Godbow, recognized how powerful it was, and simply left it in his dungeon to be found as random lewt for an escaping Charname or no-name adventurer? Rather than, say, crafting a small golem or animating a skeleton to one-shot whoever he wanted? What is his intelligence score, 6?
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    @Arvia The way I see it, if they were meant to be unlimited, they would be. They are rare and come with so few charges specficially because they are meant to be temporary boosts or emergency buttons. You can sell and buy the godbow as well (it sells for a million gold iirc), that doesn't mean it was intended for normal runs.

Oh, and where, may I ask, you can find the godbow in the game, other than when you use the console?

There's a note in chateu Irenicus where Irenicus wonders on the kind of sacrifice it took to obtain such a weapon. The game recognizes it on import, so it clearly is intended by the devs to be consoled in during BG1 at some point.

First of all, that's great and I love Beamdog for that. Little things go a long way.

Second, yer tellin' me that Irenicus found the Godbow, recognized how powerful it was, and simply left it in his dungeon to be found as random lewt for an escaping Charname or no-name adventurer? Rather than, say, crafting a small golem or animating a skeleton to one-shot whoever he wanted? What is his intelligence score, 6?

Ironicus technically isn't an elf anymore, because of his whole backstory right?

Would probably be worth dual classing just to use the Godbow if he can do that now.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Ironicus technically isn't an elf anymore, because of his whole backstory right?

No, he's an elf. Just look at any of the creature files for him - race Elf, class Mage.

But then, the godbow doesn't care about puny things like class usability rules.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Tresset wrote: »

Besides, Arvia's point above was that since wands have a price attached when recharged, they must be intended. I simply applied the same logic to another exploit.

Godbow is not an exploit. It is a tool, made by Beamdog, for testing purposes. It was never intended to be used in an actual, non-test run, playthrough.

If a player uses it in their game, its an exploit ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Nah, just a note. The bow is gone.

@Tresset "I can find no evidence of the existence of such a note in the game data... This must be from a mod or something..."

Interesting. If its a mod, its not in any of the readmes for them.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    edited December 2020
    Woah!!! I just found out that Bentan, the proselytizing priest of Ilmater at the Firewine Bridge carries a rare and valuable Scroll of Protection from Magic! You can get it by pickpocketing him (or killing him, I guess). I had no idea all these years... I just now randomly decided to try pickpocketing him...

We were probably pickpocketting him simultaneously. :D I did it about 5 hours ago.

So does this mean he has a scroll in either pocket? :wink:
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited December 2020
    Aerakar wrote: »
    Woah!!! I just found out that Bentan, the proselytizing priest of Ilmater at the Firewine Bridge carries a rare and valuable Scroll of Protection from Magic! You can get it by pickpocketing him (or killing him, I guess). I had no idea all these years... I just now randomly decided to try pickpocketing him...

We were probably pickpocketting him simultaneously. :D I did it about 5 hours ago.

So does this mean he has a scroll in either pocket? :wink:

:D
    Ulsh wrote: »
    Is that a Scroll of Protection From Magic in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Couldn't help myself

:D
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2020
    When I pickpocketed him today he had nothing...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    He got the joke :)
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    What I tend to do is wait until I have a fair amount of experience before recruiting Montaron, put all the thieving points in pickpocketting, secure Algernon's Cloak before heading of to Ulgoth's Beard. Pickpocket three characters there and then off to Firewine for the scroll. He then gets dumped in favour of somebody to disarm traps/open locks, not really needed until the bandit camp . Safana is fine for that.

In my current game I didn't have a thief until after the Nashkel Mines.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Have you ever noticed that one of the attack animations of zombies shows them taking off one of their arms and hitting you with it? That has to be the funniest attack animation in the game IMO...

Sounds like something out of Planescape Torment...
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    jmerry wrote: »
    And the other half of this - ever wonder why Haer'Dalis gets specialization in short sword and long sword (the latter after you put in a proficiency point)? He's flavored as being part of Planescape's Doomguard faction. They get +2 to hit and damage with short swords and long swords. Combine the +1/+2 from specialization with the +1 racial bonus, and that's right on.

The bonus to bows... no good flavor explanation for that.

Interesting, I've never tried giving him another pip in longsword, I thought only short swords were his specialty. I'm planning on another chaotic ne'er do well run through soon so I'll try it.