Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @jmerry
    This is why I love this thread, I initially created it as a tool to talk about silly video game logic that's readily apparent and I keep getting new things that I've never thought about. Amazing!
    mlneveseMontresor_SPProont
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    jmerry wrote: »
    Order of the Radiant Heart: sends paladins to help clear out a vampire lair. Excellent. That's what paladins do.

None of those paladins are Undead Hunters, or otherwise protected against level drain. Not even the leader, who sticks with you past the first room. Huh? What were they thinking?

I invoke the "Honor before Reason" and "Lawful Stupid" tropes.
    PsicoVicZaramMaldovar
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Son_of_Imoen
    I appreciate the vote of confidence. I have in fact defeated Sarevok before, perhaps 2021 sees me finally defeat Belhefit. On Attempt #11 I crushed Sarevok but found myself obliterated by Ziatar and her 99 poison damage.
    BlackravenmlneveseMontresor_SPArvia
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Do they attack six times per round?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Arvia wrote: »
    A Marilith can wield 6 swords, right?

I wonder if they can wield 3 bows instead?

Questions that appear in a sleepless mind during work at 3 AM....

I think they would have problems aiming unless their arms are quite flexible.
    ArviaBalrog99
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Actual Marilith stats in BG2EE:
    - One one-handed weapon equipped.
    - 5 base attacks per round.
    - 2 additional attacks per round (capped at 5)

So - no. They only attack 5 times per round. If only their innate movement-only haste was the +1 APR kind instead.
    lroumenArviasemiticgoddessmlnevese
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Arvia wrote: »
    A Marilith can wield 6 swords, right?

I wonder if they can wield 3 bows instead?

Questions that appear in a sleepless mind during work at 3 AM....

I think they would have problems aiming unless their arms are quite flexible.

They would have to switch bow arm and arrow arm on the two other pairs of arms alternately, or they'd bump into each other. Or maybe three crossbows would be more practical. Anyway, visual aiming could be clumsy indeed.

mlnevese
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    lroumen wrote: »
    Charname can do ctrl-J :)

Well, they DO have divine blood... ;)
    mlneveseBalrog99ZaramMaldovarProont
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    It's pretty weird to compare how DnD evaluates the power of items to how it evaluates the power of monsters.

A magical weapon which deals 3 more damage and is somewhat more accurate than a typical weapon? In BG1, that would be considered a legendary weapon of near-artifact level power.

Meanwhile, certain low-level monsters have abilities far more powerful than even a +10 weapon, let alone a +3 weapon. Like the ability to turn you to stone just by looking at you.
    Balrog99ProontMontresor_SPThacoBell
    edited April 2021
    I just wonder if blindness or just closing your eyes would actually counter the gaze.
    ProontsemiticgoddessArviaThacoBell
  • LelandGauntLelandGaunt Member Posts: 83
    Sure, I mean every little 2-year-old kid knows that "if I can't see you, you can't see me", right?
    And to mix things up a little bit with some Skyrim logic, I think Baldur's Gate really needs some option to pull a bucket over a Basilisk's head so they can't see you anymore...
    Son_of_ImoenProontsemiticgoddessArvia
    That's a fun comparison but I always thought that the gaze is an eye to eye contact effect like medusa. They would still stack you physically for instance but the petrification would be nullified
    ArviaThacoBell
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    As a general rule, gaze attacks require you to actually "lock eyes", as it were, with the creature for it to work. Even the briefest moment of meeting their eyes is sufficient though, which is why if you're attempting to avoid looking directly at the creature (looking at its body, feet etc.) while fighting it, there's still a chance you might catch its gaze by accident, but if you close your eyes completely, you're immune to the gaze attack as long as you keep your eyes shut.
    ProontsemiticgoddessArviaThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Zaxares wrote: »
    As a general rule, gaze attacks require you to actually "lock eyes", as it were, with the creature for it to work. Even the briefest moment of meeting their eyes is sufficient though, which is why if you're attempting to avoid looking directly at the creature (looking at its body, feet etc.) while fighting it, there's still a chance you might catch its gaze by accident, but if you close your eyes completely, you're immune to the gaze attack as long as you keep your eyes shut.

Maybe there should be a voluntary blind fight mode to simulate that!
    lroumenProontZaxaresArvia