Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I do not recognise anything compared to the original source material. It seems everything is in a different place, so maybe it is there, just not drawn where you think it should be.
    Aerakar
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The "House of Rest" on that map, in the outer "Court of Air", looks like an inn. Actually, most of the features in the Baldur's Gate game belong to that outer section.

The differences can mainly be boiled down to one key change - this 5E map has three main sections instead of two. Then, instead of having three concentric rings, the outermost section becomes a bead on one side of the fortress.

I can see the fortress evolving from one state to the other. The library collections grow, and more buildings are needed to house them - which squeezes out the other functions that had been in the outer ring. Then they need to build a new walled area for them, and there's only one place to put it.
    semiticgoddess
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2021
    ce68falgr70l.png

I'd say it goes beyond one key change.

Like for instance the center walls in the 5e image are actually showing a big change in elevation.
    Post edited by elminster on
    lroumenThacoBell
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Where is all the water coming from to feed the small river that appears to be pouring out of the keep? There is no way that a natural spring of that size could occur on that tiny 'island'. "Because, magic" doesn't work either because the underlying ground would be too sodden and waterlogged to build anything on, let alone a small fortress.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    dunbar wrote: »
    Where is all the water coming from to feed the small river that appears to be pouring out of the keep? There is no way that a natural spring of that size could occur on that tiny 'island'. "Because, magic" doesn't work either because the underlying ground would be too sodden and waterlogged to build anything on, let alone a small fortress.

Drainage system perhaps?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Nostalgia is nice but 5E Candlekeep has cool waterfalls!
    StummvonBordwehrArvia
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited March 2021
    Looks like it was rebuilt from scratch after an earthquake.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    At least the tower is now high enough for the number of floors it has in Bg1, but it looks too impractical.
    Aerakar
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited March 2021
    That if you are wanting to slightly reduce your reputation in Baldur's Gate, killing Bheren is a good option. Why? Only a drop of 8, and in addition you get a cloak of protection +1 on his body. I thought that the rep drop might be lowish since Petrine says that he is mean. I also knew about the cloak as I have pickpocketted it in the past. I don't know whether or not you still can in the Enhanced Edition as I haven't tried it.
    Firebead is also a good choice to kill if you are wanting to lose rep as he gives a substantial amount of experience and a robe. Not a great one, but worth a few hundred.
    StummvonBordwehrelminstersemiticgoddess
    edited March 2021
    I suppose that I could use that photo as the backdrop for portrait. A genuine medieval inn! :)

I was working on it in preparation for it being spruced up. During the war POWs were billetted there and had left behind a lot of interesting junk. medical cards, prescriptions, false legs and the like. A treasure house of trivia of the period.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0Aerakarmlnevese
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    - Player: "Can you recall the reason IWD switched from BG1 style sprites/animations to BG2 style in a later patch? Was it viewed as an 'upgrade'? The older aren't mirrored, so I've always preferred them."

- Josh Sawyer: "I’m guessing here since it’s been 20 years, but I think it was for memory savings. Mirrored sprites are just smaller."

Source.
    elminster
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    jmerry wrote: »
    ...and an irrelevant 50% slashing resistance.

Perhaps earlier in the game's development, xvarts used slashing weapons (their animations show slashing attacks) but when they were changed to use piercing weapons, the devs forgot to update Arabelle to have piercing resistance instead.

They may have decided that it isn't THAT difficult a quest even the way it now is.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Apparently beholder mages are super ostracized in beholder society in FR lore.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    For some reason, Demon Knights seem to have a tendency to hang out near broken mirrors.

j2uttf082c7y.png
    5g81kuvgi6dz.png

Apparently 7 years of bad luck takes too long. This way it's 7 seconds of VERY bad luck!
    AerakarArvia