Skip to content

[MOD] Shades of the Sword Coast

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    All right. As long as it's intentional, then that's fine. Just reporting it in case it was an accident. :)

On another note, how does one start "29) Doggy Life, Doggy Death: a secret mini-quest on the Mountain Cemetery."? I found a set of dog bones, and some human bones as well, but I have no idea if those are even related to this quest. So far, it's the only quest I wasn't able to figure out.

The rest has been really cool, and save for that Leather Harness, the gear has been quite well balanced, which is nice.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    Oh, that one is very tiny and it's mostly to make players feel the weird atmosphere of that cemetery :) I'm not even sure if there is any reward for it :D Maybe few experience points :)
    there is one grave on that area that says the person buried there loved dogs or something like that. You may put those bones in that grave :) So those two dead ones (the dog and the person) were not alone.
    edited July 2022
    Thanks, found it! :) Now to figure out what to do with all those human bones. :P

I did come across the tree in the cave. Overall, it feels cool and well implemented, though it played the first result twice for me:
    The memory about Gorion and the Sarevok encounter. The items I got were different, though.

Unfortunately, for me, I was already capped at that point due to the various content mods I was running, so the cost was effectively not there, but that's not this mod to blame. In a vanilla runthrough, the investment would've made it a tough choice at that point, as that could easily delay my next levelups quite a bit, and I may have considered coming back for it at another time.

However, regarding the final reward...
    Does it have to be a +3 weapon? +3 weapons are very rare in Baldur's Gate 1, so when you find a +3 weapon, it's special just for having that +3 tag.

This weapon has a couple of interesting extra abilities, which would definitely have still been interesting if it was a +1 or +2 weapon. But because it's a +3 weapon, the focus is the +3 bonus, not the extra abilities, which is a shame.

The items that are adding bonuses to THAC0 are also quickly stacking up. A +1 bonus doesn't feel like much, but getting a +1 bonus on a ring, on a pair of boots, and on a helmet is just an extra +3 bonus not otherwise accessible.

So yeah, still enjoying the content, but getting a little worried about the itemization power creep. :(
    Version 7.0 is an exception from my no significant content change rule, but here it is.

- Tweaked item: Nature's Talon: changed damage and THAC0 to +2, +3 vs. Thieves, enchantment remains as +3, removed on-hit spell
    - Tweaked item: Circlet of Distant Shores: +2 visual range is no longer Equipped ability, but a Charge ability (once per day, affects only bards)
    - Tweaked item: Lightsparks of Hope: changed item's enchantment, damage and THAC0 from +3 to +2
    - Tweaked item: Dual Nature (ring): can no longer be used by lawful characters
    - Tweaked item: Leather Harness: base armor class 7 (6 vs. piercing and missile, 5 vs. slashing) is now base 8 for all weapon types
    - Tweaked item: Belt of Iyachtu Xvim: changed +3 THAC0 to +2 THAC0
    - Tweaked item: Postponed Zee's new items to Chapter 6
    - Fixed item: Shade Wyvern's Skull: changed +4 bonus to +3 (as it is said in the item description)
    - Fixed item description: Plate Mail of the Oblivion => Plate Mail of Oblivion
    - Fixed area: you no longer need to gather your party to leave the Mountain Cemetery cave
    edited July 2022
    Great update!

There seems to be a small conflict between SotSC and the BG1 NPC Project. Amelia (from Coran's quest in the BG1 NPC Project) teleports away, but because the Firewine Bridge is a Wild Magic area, her spell often does something entirely different, leaving her standing there all confused.
    edited July 2022
    That one would need to be applied at BG1 NPC Project to make sure it will work no matter what's the installation order. To do so, Amelia .cre file would need to get immunity to original wild magic area spell - WILD_MAGIC_AREA (SPIN645.spl IIRC) - since she will not get any benefits from that, I suppose it won't cause much trouble. The question is could @jastey or @CamDawg apply such change.

Alternatively, I guess there is some opcode that gives characters wild magic immunity?

Would be cool if also Cam could confirm if that, in his opinion, would fix the problem.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Well, there are a couple of ways around this. @LavaDelVortel 's already hit the main one, making Amelia immune to the spell; you could also make her immune directly to the wild magic effect (op 280). Another is to simply fake it: play the animation and move the NPC by script.
    edited July 2022
    @CamDawg - is it possible to just BG1 NPC Project add such opcode to her cre file if the mod is installed on EE or EET? It would be a better solution than depending on a mod detecting other mod content regardless of install order and adding her some effects with additional scripts. Also, is that something you could do if the answer is yes?
    Such addition won't give her any other benefit as she's not a wild mage from what I understand.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2022
    Think it's possible, I'll check and set that up in a patch tomorrow. (Besides, Eve of War also changed the area to a wild magic zone, so not checking against SotSC makes sense.)
    Think it's possible, I'll check and set that up in a patch tomorrow. (Besides, Eve of War also changed the area to a wild magic zone, so not checking against SotSC makes sense.)
    Do you mean patch for a BG1 NPC Project? That would be perfect, I mostly asked @CamDawg as he's the admin and I wouldn't know who to ask about a possible update. (Well, maybe Jastey, but I think she is taking a short break)
    ...but if you have access and will to add such a fix, then yet again: thank you! :)
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    I can't merge a patch to BG1NPC, but I can file a PR to it. ;)
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2022
    I'm encountering *werebadgers* in the world. When I've got three magic weapons between six characters (and one might be from the npc project). These things are immune to normal weapons. All my characters are 2-3. Unless Balduran's Seatower is doing it, this must be the mod responsible. Any idea why that is? The first badger I encountered was right outside Candlekeep!
    edited August 2022
    megamike15 wrote: »
    Trouveur wrote: »
    Hello,

I ran into a minor incompatibility between Shades of the Sword Coast and BG1 NPC Project.

If you have Eldoth in your party,
    Bentley from the Friendly Arm Inn
    doesn't have the new dialogue options from SotSC, meaning :
    - Zee's Quest can't be completed
    - The new quest from Bentley is not offered
    The workaround is to temporary remove Eldoth from the party, but it can only be done if the player knows
    Bentley
    is supposed to have new dialogue options.

I used spoiler balise, I let you decide if there should be a warning to other players. :)

thats intention. he hates eldoth so his text changes. it was a nice touch.

Send Eldoth upstairs, then you can interact with
    Bentley
    as normal
    edited August 2022
    I'm encountering *werebadgers* in the world. When I've got three magic weapons between six characters (and one might be from the npc project). These things are immune to normal weapons. All my characters are 2-3. Unless Balduran's Seatower is doing it, this must be the mod responsible. Any idea why that is? The first badger I encountered was right outside Candlekeep!
    Yes, this mod adds new creatures, but none of these creatures are in places that would block your quests. That also applies to the one outside Candlekeep: it is in a spot on that area that has nothing else, but that one enemy and may be ignored. It's for you to remain careful until you find some items that can hurt them and that mod also adds them. You are not a hero just yet, but a 2nd level adventurer so do not bite more than you can swallow just yet.

If you want to get rid of those creature, go somewhere else and return there later. This mod allows you to take quests that are above your level and encounter new monsters on purpose: so you had to change your usual playstyle, return to places later in game, rather than re-enact your previous runs.

If mods like SotSC is to work properly, they can't just add new items and boos your PC. It also needs to add new dangers, encounters, and challenges. But no worries, with new quests it will be way easier to get some magic items and experience points.

(BTW, there's info on that in the readme so it shouldn't be a surprise.)
    Yes, this mod adds new creatures, but none of these creatures are in places that would block your quests. That also applies to the one outside Candlekeep: it is in a spot on that area that has nothing else, but that one enemy and may be ignored. It's for you to remain careful until you find some items that can hurt them and that mod also adds them. You are not a hero just yet, but a 2nd level adventurer so do not bite more than you can swallow just yet.

If you want to get rid of those creature, go somewhere else and return there later. This mod allows you to take quests that are above your level and encounter new monsters on purpose: so you had to change your usual playstyle, return to places later in game, rather than re-enact your previous runs.

If mods like SotSC is to work properly, they can't just add new items and boos your PC. It also needs to add new dangers, encounters, and challenges. But no worries, with new quests it will be way easier to get some magic items and experience points.

(BTW, there's info on that in the readme so it shouldn't be a surprise.)

I don't usually go through the readme unless it's an npc mod and I'm looking for specific romance requirements.... So, my bad. Thank you.
    Worry not, there are also new quests that do not require violence at all :) That being said, few mod-added quests and those from the original campaign and you should no longer be afraid of them ;) Plus, I made sure such enemies won't stop you from progression :) Focus on easier quests / encounters for now :)
  • shaelmagisshaelmagis Member Posts: 10
    Hello there. I'm lost a little with reward for
    Skeletal mother quest - skeletal pipes - once per day the user may summon skeletons (in four specific locations) But what are names of these locations? Where I can summon skeletons with skeletal pipes?
    Sorry for my English.
    It's not what the locations mean in this description - it's not about areas: you may use this item to create skeletons, by clicking on some spot, but while normal spells would create all four creatures in that one spot, you may pick 1 spot for each of the 4 skeletons so they do not need to be next to each other.
  • shaelmagisshaelmagis Member Posts: 10
    It's not what the locations mean in this description - it's not about areas: you may use this item to create skeletons, by clicking on some spot, but while normal spells would create all four creatures in that one spot, you may pick 1 spot for each of the 4 skeletons so they do not need to be next to each other.

Oh, good :) Thank you)
  • ChitownWillieChitownWillie Member Posts: 12
    Just a heads-up that the Shade Wyvern is vulnerable to normal weapons.

Also, just curious about the target level for the "upside-down" Gnoll Stronghold. Only reason I ask is because my level 4 Kagain was able to easily clean up down there with very little trouble.

Thanks!
    Just a heads-up that the Shade Wyvern is vulnerable to normal weapons.
    I would say that's ok.
    Also, just curious about the target level for the "upside-down" Gnoll Stronghold. Only reason I ask is because my level 4 Kagain was able to easily clean up down there with very little trouble.
    I'm not sure, but those shadows are mostly a copy of their BG2 self. Also, while it feels epic, I didn't want to include too much "epicness" considering it's BG1. I would say it's more or less for lvl 3-4, but that's mostly a guess. It also depends on your gear and tactics.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Shadow Gnoll Stronghold gets a lot easier once you have a high enough level cleric to frighten a bunch of the enemies so you can pick them off rather than having them swarm you
  • CeleriokCeleriok Member Posts: 12
    How do I acces to the basement of the Friendly Arms Inn? I don't see any entrance.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 497
    Celeriok wrote: »
    How do I acces to the basement of the Friendly Arms Inn? I don't see any entrance.

Look in the kitchen.
    Are the Charmed Pirates supposed to be this powerful?
    • Level 10
    • THAC0 11
    • 5 stars dagger
    What charmed pirates?
    edited September 2022
    I assume Shades is adding them to the Sirines area just outside Black Alaric's cave in the Lighthouse area (AR3600):

Mods affecting L#MCPIR.CRE:
    00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~SOTSC/SOTSC.TP2~ 0 0 // Shades of the Sword Coast - Expansion Pack for BGEE7.0

Ah, I forgot about them.

Well, they were supposed to be difficult, yes. There are only 3 of them in that area. And AFAIR, their 10 levels are only a theory, as their stats were lowered, I simply forgot to change that number. But I will fix that next time I'm updating the mod and lower their daggers mastery.
    Thanks Lava.

Since I have a game in-progress, what's the intended dagger proficiency (i.e., 5 * to . . . )?

And I assume their Short Sword proficiency will remain at 2*?
    I don't know just yet, I will probably change it to 2 stars? I think of such things when I'm actually updating the mod, and as I said: those are 3 creatures, you won't find them anywhere else but in that one area, so if you killed them already, I don't think you need to update them manually.