Skip to content

Chronic Restarting Detox Camp

Hi, my name's demented and I'm a chronic restarter. I wasn't always this way, I use to play games with only one character and saw it through to the end. There would be no roleplaying or multi-classing. Baldur's Gate changed that. Now I can barely get an hour in without restarting the game. There are just too many possibilities.

I might start with a monk who's devoted to justice. She eventually gets kicked out of her order for her actions and becomes a Kensai warrior who metes out her form of justice to those she sees as guilty. Then I'll think of a cleric/wizard who's determined to uncover the deepest secrets of magic, but eventually goes insane from his quest.

I've tried playing other video games but I just get bored. For Bhaal's sake I played Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time yesterday and all I could think about was my wild mage Anansi. I need help.
BelgarathMTHthe_spyderDexterelminsterStarflower2525AnduinEleutherosAristilliusmylegbigQuartzNight_WatchSouthpawReadingRamboalnairpekirtPugPugKolonKuHuskarl2006The_New_Romancesarevok57FlashburnGodKaiserHellBaldursCataqzinaAkwartzchickenhedMoradinIkMarcLateralusJuliusBorisovLordRumfishAldericJared4242jackjackAlexisisinneedEffinyEudaemoniumWillyML4artificial_sunlightWilburTime4Tiddysunset00CoryNewbalbinocobraMortiannafujisanEdgeStryfeDragonspearJTMabacusCrevsDaakgolingarflolienEadwyn_G8keeperKloroxxzarsrevengeNonnahswriterSkatanbooinyoureyesmashedtatersGrumNoobaccaLoreZaghoultbone1

Comments

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Are you an actual Chronic Restarter? Because I know people who've been through rehab, and if you're just playing the false empathy card, you might get some angry Chronic Restarters yelling at you. :(
    FredjoMontresor_SPlolien
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Hi I'm Jamesker im a alcoholic, when I get drunk I have no success with girls in pubs and I just want to go home and I know that Neera will love me drunken letch or not!
    lunarCrevsDaaktbone1
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Oh yeah I can't start a game reloading deciding if I want to be Evil or Good, before I even think about if I like my class
    lolien
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    edited September 2013
    Hi,i'm Banex and i can never finish my Stalker runs due to chronic restarting because really i wanted to be an Assassin-love the poison and bows but is this all there is-knew i should have stayed a Stalker,Oh to hell with it just roll a Sorceror.Finally made it to BG,yeah but your Assassin or Stalker would have been better here for stealth-ah to hell with it a Stalker then,yeah but but poison would have been better those last few maps and on and on and on ...................................................uncurable!
    JuliusBorisovlolienLoretbone1
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    YOU GOTTA HELP ME DR. @SHANDYR ! (aka ShanTheAwesome)
    BelgarathMTHCrevsDaaklolien
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    I need help too. It is impossible not to think "hey wouldn't it be cool if I played a neutral fighter/mage so I could mix the good aligned with the evil ones" only to reconsider shortly after thinking pure class cleric and then dual classed thief and then....well you get the picture.

I can almost only finish with a paladin. For RP reasons I find it funny to be sickening noble. I need to try something else. Especially in tob.
    lolien
  • StinkyStinky Member Posts: 39
    Hi my name is Stinky and I'm a chronic .txt editor. I have a notepad file full of different Baldur's Gate character ideas and I have never actually used any of them to start a game because I'm too busy analysing tables of data or googling quirks in the rules in order to create the most über child of Bhaal ever.

Please help!
    artificial_sunlightlolienKloroxtbone1
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    I'm not nearly as bad as some of you, but I have 5 different games of BG going on right now, although one of them is actually in ToB.

I guess it's age, but I just can't get into new games anymore. In the past few years, if I do play a game, it's always an old one, usually BG2 or Diablo 2.
    JTMlolien
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Restarting is even worse when you open yourself up to cheating or shadow keeper editing. After you try every legal combination you start playing as Sarevok or making whole teams of liches.

I must have made 50 characters since BGEE came out and only completed with two.
    BelgarathMTHsarevok57lolien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Banexlolientbone1
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    But if I make a Fighter/Mage/Thief and change one of the classes to a kit with EEKeeper that's fine, right? Right?
    lolien
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    thespace said:

Banex said:

Hi,i'm Banex and i can never finish my Stalker runs due to chronic restarting because really i wanted to be an Assassin-love the poison and bows but is this all there is-knew i should have stayed a Stalker,Oh to hell with it just roll a Sorceror.Finally made it to BG,yeah but your Assassin or Stalker would have been better here for stealth-ah to hell with it a Stalker then,yeah but but poison would have been better those last few maps and on and on and on ...................................................uncurable!

Don't know if I can help with the other cases, however, I solved this one for myself...put 2 pips in dagger for your Stalker and buy the dagger of venom!!! Duel wield it with another favorite melee weapon (I like longsword and eventually clubs, to have a duel-wieldable blunt weapon that works for backstabbing) and you will be joyfully duel wielding/backstabbing/poisoning all at the same time (and a lot tougher than an assassin)! Don't even need to use a pip in a ranged weapon...just use throwing daggers for the times when ya wanna range (which I find become quite scarce when playing a stalker.

Well met kind sir,a possible cure.I'm gonna give that a roll(will mean yet another re-roll but worth it).Many thanks.
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Anduin

Hello Anduin, I'd like you to come with me. Please, sit down. Can I offer you a cup of tea?

I'd like to talk about Kangaxx, if that's alright. You have known each other for some time, is that right?

Well, I'm sure you know that he has been dead for many years. I'm afraid I have bad news. He has become quite a bit more dead recently, and we're not sure he will recover.

I know this must come as a shock, but be assured that the Athkatla city guard are doing their best to find his ring, which has been missing.

Here are some contact details, one for our bereavement couselling service, the second for a reputable medium. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know. I am truly sorry for your loss.
    AnduinElectricMonklolientbone1
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    @blackchimes You may want to start them as the kit, then SK them into the F/M/T so they get their starting bonus.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2013
    I edit in the starting bonus.