Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    luskan said:

I'm hoping to make a Kensai-Assassin dual class. Is it just as simple as playing as a Kensai, and then changing the kit to Assassin in EE keeper before the dual? Does that cause any issues with either class restrictions (no armor until UAI, only 15 thief skill points per level, etc.)? Thanks!

@Tresset‌ did that with a Berkserker->Shadowdancer, here his explanation on how he did so...
    Tresset said:

Ok. I used EEkeeper to level down and I dualed at level 9. Then I added the excess experience I gained beyond level 9 and it turned out that my shadowdancer immediately reached level 11. So I guess that works and now I am a Berserker>Shadowdancer. Yay!

Tresset said:

SethDavis‌ I hear it is impossible to do two kits at once without a mod, but like Crevs said I just played a Berserker until it was time to dual when I switched my kit to Shadowdancer. Since the only kit benefit of the berserker is the rage spell I just decided to keep the rages that I had earned. The game considered me a Fighter->Shadowdancer but I had all the benefits of both classes with only the penalties of the Shadowdancer. The main issue I encountered with doing this was that the backstab multiplier was higher than it should have been, but I had enough modding experience to lower it with the class ability table and a custom spell made just for that purpose back when the Shadowdancer kit first came out and had a bugged backstab progression.

So no, you aren't really missing anything, it is just that we use a ton of tricks to pull this sort of thing off. ;)

Troodon80luskan
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I don't think it will work well with a kensai->assassin. You will lose the restrictions of the kensai when you dual and the first level of your dual will give you too many skill points. The latter issue is easily corrected but the former issue cannot be corrected. Other than that I guess it kinda works. I suppose you could just choose not to equip items not usable by kensai though.
    Troodon80CrevsDaakluskan
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Tresset said:

The latter issue is easily corrected but the former issue cannot be corrected. Other than that I guess it kinda works. I suppose you could just choose not to equip items not usable by kensai though.

Actually, editing KITLIST.2DA changes a kit's usability flag, and by thus you can make that possible. To merge both flags you need just to sum one to the other eg 0x0000000001 + 0x1000000000 = 0x10000000001 and replace the Assassin kit's one. This is the thing the Multikit mod uses (by creating a new kit of course).
    Tresset
  • FragiliciousFragilicious Member Posts: 4
    Right, so I've got EEkeeper working, but it can't find any saves. It has found the exe and installed the resources but when I go to load a save game there are no choices. The box where I imagine saved games would appear is blank. I have tried using a custom save directory, guiding the program to the my documents location but still no luck. How do I get the save games available?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Fragilicious, are you using quick saves and auto saves in-game or have you manually saved the game under a different name?
    quick save
    Used a proper save. Sorted.
    @Fragilicious, you can go into Settings → Miscellaneous and enable the option labelled Enable editing of quick and auto saves. This is a leftover from the original Shadow Keeper that I left in purely for safety.
  • dark_phoenixdark_phoenix Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I tried everything mentioned in the original post to get EE Keeper to work, including selecting the language and choosing the appropriate directory (which in my case is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, and it still won't open up the saved games. The message I get says: "EE Keeper was unable to read the text resources. EE Keeper must be able to find this file to work properly. Make sure the Installation Path has been set to the correct directory and restart EE Keeper."

Any help with this would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,

MC
    @dark_phoenix, are you using the standalone launcher? If you are, then there should be more folders located within that location. In my case, for example, the directory is:

E:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766
    00766 is the game directory while (in your case) C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is the downloader/installer.
    Troodon80 said:

@dark_phoenix, are you using the standalone launcher? If you are, then there should be more folders located within that location. In my case, for example, the directory is:

E:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766
    00766 is the game directory while (in your case) C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is the downloader/installer.

Thx Troodon, I tried this and it worked (finally...lol)

Much appreciated!
    Btw is you change dexterity from 12 to 18 on a Cavalier in EE Keeper, does that automatically affect base THAC0? Or do you have to adjust that yourself? Just wondering.

Thanks,

DPH
    if*
    @dark_phoenix, the game will automatically give you the appropriate bonus for each ability score.
    dark_phoenix
    @troodon80, sounds good, thx!

• Mage3Mage3 Member Posts: 8
    I'm trying to get EE Keeper to work on a Windows pc that does not have any BG games installed. I want to use Keeper to edit an Android save. I read the guide on p.22 but I'm having trouble. I can find my save games ok, but I'm afraid I need a more detailed walkthrough on how to set up the correct directory. Which .obb files am I supposed to extract and how do I get Keeper to recognize them?

I copied the obb folder to my pc that had 2 obb files in it, one was main, the other was patch. I extracted the main to a location I called Android - bgee. I pointed Keeper to that but it didn't recognize.
    @Mage3, you need to extract both OBB files to the same location, i.e. /Android - bgee/. I think the patch contains the chitin.key file.
  • Mage3Mage3 Member Posts: 8
    That worked. Thank You So Much!
  • odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
    Another day, another poster having problems.

I'm running into a fairly common problem since it is in the FAQ, getting the "reload the game resources" line. I fill in the directory for BG EE and the language directory a dozen different ways trying to get around it, but no dice (and yes, the BG files under program filesx86). Do I need BG2 EE to run this, as I don't have that yet.

If not... well, I'm open to ideas lol.

@odessa333‌, the typical issue is with not using the actual game directory. The directory needs to be the one where the chitin.key file is located. If you are using either the Beamdog client or the standalone Beamdog launcher/downloader, the directory needed will be a numbered folder (e.g. 00766 for BG:EE on PC). If you are using the Steam version, then you need to right-click on the game in your library, click 'properties', click the 'local files' tab, and then click on 'browse local files'—that should bring you directly to the installation directory of the game.

If you only have one game then a message will pop up telling you that you cannot load resources for the game you do not have. Also, make sure you press the button on the toolbar appropriate to the game you have set up.
    Oy, this is why I hate technology. I tried this a good dozen times yesterday to no avail. Today I start fresh with a restarted computer and it works the first time. The PC gods, they hate me.
    Then again, maybe not. If I recall, if you edit a stat, it's supposed to change everything related to that stat, yes? I can get STR to increase carry weight, but that seems to be the only visible difference. DEX doesn't change AC or thief skills, saving throws don't change... i can do it myself, I suppose, but it seems odd. Am I missing something still...?
    @odessa333, what stat changes you get really depends on how much you increase the character attributes by. Here's a before and after shot of my character record:image

All character stats remain the unedited and only the attributes have been changed (to 25 each). As far as thief skills go, I really don't know. I haven't tested each and every class and kit with it, only the basics to ensure it works. If thief skills are not increasing, then I can remedy that in a future build. I know racial changes do not take affect in Keeper (by design/omission until I can implement the required detection on a from-and-to basis).
  • VanyaVanya Member Posts: 2
    I am having no end of headaches trying to use this for my Android saves. I do not have Baldur's Gate on my PC, so I am trying to move the save from my phone to my desktop then back again, and I'm as lost as an Easter Egg.

My problem is twofold:

First - I cannot open EE Keeper because it is unable to open or locate udl files. It is possible (likely) I made a botch of my install path. Could you please walk me through that in very small steps.

Second - I can't extract the android files in the correct manner. I tried doing it with 7 zip and it won't let me. Can I just copy the BALDUR.SAV file to the EE Keeper folder (once I get that lined out properly) or does something else need to be extracted?

Hopefully I am not ignorant beyond helping here, as I am excited to use this terrific program. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    edited June 2014
    @Vanya, I'll start from the beginning—I will include in-depth and basic steps. You can find in-depth at the start and basic step-by-step near the bottom.

The ULD files should be in the same location as the main Keeper program itself. If you downloaded the zip file and extracted its contents, then there should be no problem. If you downloaded the SFX archive and tried to 'install' it, then it should actually be the easier option of the two. I will not provide details on this until you state which of the two you opted for (saving as much confusion as possible in the process).

Now, the steps to set up the Android files appropriately.

Step one, preparation and finding the required files.

First of all, you want a folder that you can easily find. My suggestion is to create a folder on the C: drive called BGEE - Android. So the setup in Keeper will be pointing to C:\BGEE - Android\. You can call this folder anything, but this is what I will use for the walkthrough.

The Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition game files are located in two places. I have underlined the difference in the folder path.
    1. The main saved game folder is located in sdcard\Android\data\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\files\
    2. The main game files are located in sdcard\Android\obb\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\
    On your Android device use a file browser such as ES File Explorer and browse to sdcard\Android\obb\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\. Once there, copy the two OBB files—both should have a prefix, 'main.' or 'patch.', make sure to copy them both to the folder I mentioned above, or whatever folder you have chosen.

Next, navigate to sdcard\Android\data\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\files\ and copy the 'save' folder. When I set everything up for myself, I copied the entire 'files' folder to the BGEE - Android directory.

Step two, extract the files.

I used the latest version of 7-Zip on both Windows Vista and Windows 7. You need to extract the contents of both the 'main.' and 'patch.' OBB files.

Unlike the image above where I am showing the contents of the archives, you do not need to open them. Right-click on the OBB file and select 'Extract Here'.

Once you have extracted the contents of these two archives, you can move on to step three.

Step three, setting up EE Keeper.

The old versions of Keeper, like Shadow Keeper, tried to detect the game via executable. This was to try and prevent the user opening a BG1 saved game in Keeper when only BG2 saved games were expected. In retrospect, this could have been handled by including the structures for both games and making an all-in-one editor. However, since both Enhanced Editions use the same executable name, that is now pointless. If you happen to be using a very early version of Keeper, then you will need to update to avoid issues.

I will assume you are using the most up-to-date version.

If you are launching Keeper for the first time, it will ask you to set the installation directory. If you followed the instructions above and have a folder called BGEE - Android on the C: drive, then under the label that says 'BG:EE Installation Directory' enter in C:\BGEE - Android\.

After that, you just need to press 'OK'. If you do not have a path set for BG2:EE then a message will appear telling your that you cannot load games from BG2:EE (for obvious reasons, but I had to include that just for the sake of clarity)—click 'Yes' to continue.

A message will pop up telling you that you need to reload the resources (since it is your first time, you're not actually re-loading, but that's a minor issue). Click 'OK'.

Now, this is the editor all set up and ready for use. The first thing to do now is to actually (re)load the resources. To do this, click on the large BG1:EE button.

Step Four, looking back on step one.

The saved games. You should have a \BGEE - Android\ directory with folders named 'data', 'lang', 'movies', 'music', and 'scripts'. You should also have a single file called 'chitin.key'. If you copied the save folder to this location as well, then it will also be there.

Press File, then press Open Saved Game. Alternatively, you can press CTRL+O as a key combination or press the blue folder icon on the toolbar.

In this dialogue you will need to set a custom saved game location. This is because you are using the Android version and the hardcoded path is /Documents/[Game Name]/. To override this, copy and paste the location of the 'save' folder to the text box next to the button labelled 'Browse...'. Assuming you did the same as me and copied it to the BGEE - Android directory, then it will be C:\BGEE - Android\save\.

After you have entered in the custom saved game location, click on the checkbox labelled 'Use Custom Save Directory'.

Basic step-by-step walkthrough:
    1. Create a folder on your PC which will contain all the game files.
    2. Find the OBB files on your Android device and place them into the newly created folder on your PC. Likewise, find the save folder and copy that to the same folder on you PC.
    3. Use 7-Zip and extract the contents of both OBB files.
    4. Remember where those extracted files are and point Keeper to them in the following steps.
    5. Download the latest version of Keeper (assuming you have the latest version, you can skip this step).
    6. Launch Keeper. When asked for an installation directory, point 'BG:EE Installation Directory' (the first text box) to the location of the extracted game files as mentioned in steps three and four.
    7. Press 'OK' to apply the configuration settings.
    8. If prompted regarding the BG2:EE path being empty, press 'Yes'.
    9. When prompted to reload the resources, press OK and then press on the 'BG1:EE' button on the toolbar.
    10. Press the button on the toolbar with the blue folder icon. Use the Open Save Game dialog to set the saved game directory you will be using.
    11. Make sure to set the directory first and then check the box to use it, you will be prompted if you do it the wrong way around. Read the in-depth steps above as a reference to how I did this.
    12. Once you have set the saved game location and checked the box, you should have some saved games listed. If you do not and you are only using quick-saves and auto-saves, then you will need to set the option in Settings→Miscellaneous.
    13. Click on a listed saved game and click 'OK'.
    If you get stuck on a particular step, do let me know and I will try and guide you along as best I can.
    SirK8ronaldoCrevsDaakPibaro
  • VanyaVanya Member Posts: 2
    Troodon80,

Your instruction worked perfectly! Thank you so much for your help. It was both timely and precisely the sort of guide I needed.
    I can now modify android saves on my PC to my hearts content. The help is truly appreciated.
    Troodon80
    Happy to help. :-)
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Troodon80 First off thank you so much for EEKeeper! It has helped me fix dumb choices I have made for my characters many times.

I have a question about mods that add spells to the game and EEKeeper. I tried using the iwdificatiion mod from @CamDawg and then wanted to change my proficiencies. I can do it but then I lose all the spells added by the mod.

Is there a way to use both? I'm planning a Druid and really want to use the mod.

@ronaldo, can you upload a saved game for me to look at?
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    Here is the save I have. If I load this save into EEKeeper and make changes and then reload the game the spells added by iwdification are gone. Now I did find out that when I level up the spells do come back.