Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @elminster‌
    It burns!
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    No offense to anyone, but I still don't see much of a problem. It doesn't look that bad to me. The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility of a Patch getting rid of my save games, not that this happened with any patch before.
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193

No offense to anyone, but I still don't see much of a problem. It doesn't look that bad to me.

Sure, it's not a big problem, but this minor fluke "offends" me (for lack of a better word) because an "Enhanced Edition" shouldn't be a downgrade to anything, and that includes little aesthetic things such as this.

• FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    kaguana said:

If you don't wanna use it then don't it not like you need to turn it off you just not clicking it, it not a must feature to use.

Oh I'm not terribly familiar with the Quick Loot Bar myself and was working off the assumption it was always visible and not a toggle function.
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @Dee I wanted to try the beta. I have a Beta for Windows listed on my Beamdog purchases page but when I click on it, a not-so-cute dog tells me that "Ruh roh Sorry man, I've searched high and low for /products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-beta, and I just can't find it.". What am I doing wrong?
  • ObsydObsyd Member Posts: 11
    Ohh dear I did not realize that you guys were using the old Infinity Engine! Somehow I thought you made a new engine. Now I understand the delays! It is hard to fix something in your own engine, but fixing stuff in an engine that can stab you in the back because you are not the original creator.. Now that is hard and nerve-racking! So all I can say is keep up the good work!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    ljbo said:

@Dee I wanted to try the beta. I have a Beta for Windows listed on my Beamdog purchases page but when I click on it, a not-so-cute dog tells me that "Ruh roh Sorry man, I've searched high and low for /products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-beta, and I just can't find it.". What am I doing wrong?

For the beta, you'll need to install it using the Beamdog client, or using one of the installers listed here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/479129/#Comment_479129
    It doesn't seem to line up THAT badly, but if can be made to line up better, than it's worth waiting a little while. I don't want there to be too much wrong with this edition. Because let's face it, there IS going to be a few things wrong with this patch, but working as much as they can will prevent and ungodly amount of problems showing up in the patches.

I can imagine that the Original Game had this many bugs at first too. We have to remember this is still Version One (even with the .3) patch, and the final version of the original games was Version Three.something, and it still had issues.

These things take time.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    "- Dual-classed assassins and thieves now receive the correct backstab multipliers when they get their abilities back"

Anyone able to check if this fixes the x0 backstab issue with Dual & Multi classed Stalker/Clerics? Thanks!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    RAM021 said:

"- Dual-classed assassins and thieves now receive the correct backstab multipliers when they get their abilities back"

Anyone able to check if this fixes the x0 backstab issue with Dual & Multi classed Stalker/Clerics? Thanks!

Yes, that's the issue it's aimed at resolving.

August 14th. Last patch November 1st. This is bad.

@killerrabbit No it's not, it just means they are putting more work into this patch. I am quite certain that putting a Modern Spin on an Old Engine is not an easy task. They can't just plop out a patch like a chicken hatches eggs all the time.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    @Dee A bit off topic, but could you tell me if the Infinity Engine was originally programmed with OOP in mind? It sounds like it wasn't and if that's the case, Beamdog is brave... TOO brave.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited August 2014
    Dee said:

For those who are curious, the Font Size slider currently sets to 75, 100, 125, 150, 175, and 200. 75, 125, and 150 are the sizes where it causes issues with the indentation.

In my own testing, I've found 95, 115, 130, 148, 175, and 200 to be a better and clearer progression of size, without messing up indents or the size of the speaker's name.

This is good news!
    Does this mean the in-game slider will be changed to use the better values? Or will we be reduced to editing the baldur.ini file?
    I don't mind the latter, but I would prefer the slider, and venture that many people won't be comfortable editing a config file.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

What is the Quick Loot Bar, is it a new feature or is it the Inventory Squares on the ground where you pick up stuff?

Well for BG it's a "new feature" but it's been in BGII since launch. You click a small red gem near the button of the screen and a row of squares filled with loot on the ground near your currently selected character appears. Rather than having to go from ground pile to ground pile to inspect each single one you can just quickly loot what interests you. Hence it being called the "Quick Loot Bar" by the community.
    Wait, what!? I never knew that...
    Yeah, it actually seems pretty cool, but call me old fashioned, but I still prefer the old way.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Dee said:

RAM021 said:

Yes, that's the issue it's aimed at resolving.
    Much obliged, thanks!
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    As will be seen elsewhere, I am desperate for this path to ship, as the BG2EE patch process is effectively delayed until this patch clears. I want to be sure to thank Dee and others for resisting that rush, and getting the font fix right.

Fonts are a minor issue if they work for you, but totally break the game experience if they don't. Our main communication with the game is through text, so if the fonts are 'off', then the entire game, from Candlekeep to final showdown, suffers. If the fonts are bad enough, it would genuinely render the game unplayable for some. Fonts are also hard to test, as word-wraps and line breaks will be different in different language packs, and all need at least a minimum level of testing.

Although the 'classic' fonts have been perfect for me, I think it is great that BeamDog are taking on this particular patch, as it has the potential to make the game a considerably better experience. It is also one that is absolutely worth getting right and delaying the patch for, yet again, no matter how desperate I am for it to ship (and I am pretty desperate!)

BeamDog's priorities with patches certainly frustrate me at times, and I will start another thread musing about that (oh no, not another one!) but I think it equally important to shout when they get something right. For once, I will say thanks for the delay :)
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Tbh I like the font in BG2ee better then in BG1ee