Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @subtledoctor‌ - Let me know if this works for you: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/NearInfinity-OSX/archive/master.zip

If so, I'll update the latest release.
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Very nice!!!!
    CrevsDaakjackjack
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Very nice, indeed!

Perhaps not a bug but maybe a feature request instead. Looking at the image below It would be nice for it to automatically pick up what you are searching in the drop down menu. As you can see I'm trying to search for basilist but it remains on amnish_soldier

CrevsDaakjackjack
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Sounds like a really good idea. I'll see what I can do.
    CrevsDaak
    NearInfinity-OSX updated to latest NearInfinity.jar.

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/NearInfinity-OSX/releases/tag/v1.35-PR-20141114
    CuvjackjackCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    4 updates during the month... That's the spirit!
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Geez, I never even had the chance to unzip the last update yet! Nice to see you working on things though.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    I've been thinking about adding an auto-update feature to NI, but from what I've heard and read it's very difficult to add this functionality in Java without losing platform-independence (not to mention that it might introduce security risks).
    CrevsDaak
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    You could add an update thing but_only opens a link to your github page where people could then download the latest version.

So instead of autodownloading, you might could get it to check against the github and open the page where you manually download it.

Or it could just have a "check for new version" button that opens the webpage.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @argent77 @smeagolheart, I was actually planning on adding a check-for-update feature for EE Keeper. How it would work is the link you press opens a URL with ?version=x.x.x.x, the (SourceForge) server-side PHP checks the version and tells the user if they are using the most recent version. If you have Near Infinity on SourceForge, or if GitHub has hosting for web-based applications available then I wouldn't mind lending a hand.

Here's what I have for Keeper—though yet to actually implement it in Keeper itself:

Using a lesser version.
    Using the current version.

If you want the PHP code, let me know.
    smeagolheart
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2014
    I would think you'd be able to pull that message maybe using an htmlparser or something for Java.

You are using version 1.0.2.5, this is not the current version.

The current version is 1.0.2.6, and it was last updated on Saturday, 8 November 2014 20:52:35 GMT.

On a kind of Help..About.. type page (or check for updates page). If you were online, it should be able to grab that text from the webpage.

A notification function is most certainly easier to implement than an update function. The main problem however is the inconsistency in NI's version scheme. In the past we had version numbers such as 1.32, 1.33b19, w1.2.0, and now 1.35.0-snapshot-xxxxyyzz (which might change again eventually - at the latest when someone else is taking over). I have to find other ways to check for the most recent NI release.

Apparently Github offers website hosting, but I couldn't find any mention of web-based applications. I have to assume that it only offers static websites and maybe some plugins for setting up blogs or a wiki page.
    CrevsDaak
    NearInfinity-OSX is updated to the v1.35.0-snapshot-20141203 version of the .jar file.

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/NearInfinity-OSX/releases
    CrevsDaak
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    Hi, I have a bug report/feature request. Images of spell icons (in ...C.BAM format) which are shown in spellbook in-game are very distorted in NI, so they're of no much use, if I want to edit them. Could that be fixed?
    The *C.BAM icons for spells contain lots of transparent regions, that's why they are sometimes difficult to see. But that's the nature of the icons. The BAM resource viewer already provides a checkbox to disable transparency which works well enough for icons. I don't see what I can do else to improve the situation.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    Is it really a transparency problem? Here is the example of icon exported from NI and in-game screenshot. They are different:
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Several such *C.bam icons look like that when viewed out-side the game by any edit/viewer, not just NI.
    CrevsDaak
    Very interesting. It looks like the Enhanced Editions have added a slight change to the BAM format. I have to investigate it further.
    PeccaCrevsDaak
    @Pecca, that's the same in DLTCEP. I assume the game does something more than what the current editors do.

Also, @argent77‌, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be support for the user directory on Linux. Adding this:
    else if (System.getProperty("os.name").contains("Linux")) { userSuffix = File.separator + ".local" + File.separator + "share" + File.separator + EE_DIR; }
    to ResourceFactory.java at around line 290 fixes that (I really wanted Linux support so I added it myself). :-)
    CrevsDaak
    @Troodon80‌ Thanks for the code snipped! At the time of writing this function there was no native version for Linux available, so I had to rely on a built-in Java function for cases like this (which of course doesn't work for Linux).

More information about the BAM format. The BAM palette appears to support alpha transparency in the Enhanced Editions. Modifying the code works for the icons in question, but it also introduces new problems for BAMs which don't use the alpha component. I'm still looking for a working solution.
    PeccaTroodon80CrevsDaak
    @argent77,
    argent77 said:

Modifying the code works for the icons in question, but it also introduces new problems for BAMs which don't use the alpha component. I'm still looking for a working solution.

I don't suppose you could just add another checkbox to the interface next to Enable Transparency? If the BAM (or game) doesn't support transparency, then you can disable it on a case by case basis.
    CrevsDaak
    It's a viable solution, but also very bothersome for the user who will be forced to select and unselect this option depending on the BAM resource. A better solution may be to determine if the palette contains any alpha values and switch modes automatically based on the result. I'm currently testing if it has any side effects, but it looks good so far. Unfortunately I haven't found any flags in the BAM header which indicate whether to use alpha or not.
    CrevsDaakTroodon80
    For OS X users - I've updated NearInfinity-OSX to the latest snapshot. Sorry for the delay!

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/NearInfinity-OSX/releases
    elminsterjackjackCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Just downloaded the latest version. Thank you very much @argent77
    jackjackCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov