Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Messi said:

Defiance Bay is massive city. I thought they might be exaggerating when during their kickstarter they stated they would have 2 cities the size of BG, but DB actually way more things to do than BG had. *mindblown*

Reviews keep saying the game is about 60-70 hours long, and I am beginning to think that is low-balling the amount of content in this game quite a bit. There is no way if you really dig into this game that it is going to come in at anything less than 100, and that still might be too low. The 15-level Watcher's Keep dungeon alone is going to eat up a quarter of that time if you choose to venture into it. Once this baby gets a proper expansion, it is going to either rival BG2 in size, or it is going to pass it entirely.
    JuliusBorisov
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

The 15-level Watcher's Keep dungeon alone is going to eat up a quarter of that time if you choose to venture into it.

I haven't set foot in that dungeon yet, I really should so I can get some more xp as i'm running into really hard enemies.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Stronghold. Yeah. But wait. I can only build one thing at the time?? Dang now I have to wait for days, before i can move in ...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Cluas said:

Stronghold. Yeah. But wait. I can only build one thing at the time?? Dang now I have to wait for days, before i can move in ...

Yea its really annoying. But that is the same as how NWN2 handled things.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited March 2015
    If anyone in here hasn't bought the game yet for whatever reason (waiting for it to go on sale, etc.) and wants it, let me know. I have one extra Kickstarter Hero Edition key that can be redeemed for GOG or Steam; so send me a PM letting me know which platform you want and I'll send the key to whoever gets back to me first. I'd like to give it to someone who actually hasn't bought the game, not just someone who's waiting for the game to show up by the way.

The key's been redeemed.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovAristillius
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Thanks a lot @jaysl659 :)
    ElectricMonkJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    elminster said:

Cluas said:

But in nwn2 you just has to walk into the keep and out again and building would be complete.
    wubble said:

elminster said:

Cluas said:

But in nwn2 you just has to walk into the keep and out again and building would be complete.
    That is true I suppose. Forgot about that.
    edited March 2015
    Plus, Obsidian talked about this, as if you could build multiple items simultaneously. They changed their mind i guess... : )

And just a heads up: There is a major bug, if you double-click to equip items- Luckily I always drag and drop ...
    ElectricMonkmlneveseJuliusBorisov
    I made a ranger as a second character. I know that an arbalest is probably super impractical in combat, but I still kind of want to have him equipped with one :D
    JuliusBorisov
    procco said:

I like that the inn in Gilded Vale is named the Black Hound (the working title of the aborted BGIII).

I never even made that connection. To me it just sounded like a good name for an inn. :)
    woowoovoodoobooinyoureyes
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Idk, there are still some fairly big bugs according to the forums. I just hit my first big one, but luckily I was able to reload and redo one quick battle and it worked fine the next time.
    enqenq
    Occasionally I find that if I'm playing in fast mode the voices skip really fast. Also if I'm playing in fast mode the characters can get really glitchy (randomly moving around). But I haven't encountered any serious bugs.
    edited March 2015
    procco said:

I like that the inn in Gilded Vale is named the Black Hound (the working title of the aborted BGIII).

Wow, I didn't even think of it until now. But it seems obvious and 100% intentional once you point it out. It's continuing to shock me just how much of a tribute this is, while at the same time in many ways just being flat out better in many regards, simply given advances in game design and technology.

elminster said:

Occasionally I find that if I'm playing in fast mode the voices skip really fast. Also if I'm playing in fast mode the characters can get really glitchy (randomly moving around). But I haven't encountered any serious bugs.

Yeah, I just found the fast button this morning, and I didn't even contemplate using it. I feel like I don't even want to miss one paragraph in any of the books, much less the dialog.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjack
    They talked about a patch this week.
    Anyway if you're having performance issues, check out this thread on the obs forums...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72049-workarounds-for-several-known-issues-3-27-15/
    JuliusBorisov
    I think I've played a solid 30 hours of the game at this point. I don't even know really, but I only got about 5-6 hours into Divinity Original Sin before I lost interest, so already its very promising :)
    proccomlneveseBelgarathMTHAristillius
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    elminster said:

I think I've played a solid 30 hours of the game at this point. I don't even know really, but I only got about 5-6 hours into Divinity Original Sin before I lost interest, so already its very promising :)

I agree about D:OS. There was something about that game that I just couldn't get into. I feel like I was always fiddling with the settings and not really actually playing it. I only have about 15 hrs into PoE, but I am thoroughly engrossed.
    BelgarathMTH
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ok, I feel a bit behind the times as I've only put in about 3 hours in the game.

I was wondering how many of you have restarted due (at least in my case) to character-choice-itice. and noticed the companion choice that happens in the first tutorial encounter. Further, does anyone have any theories why this was done given what happens before you get to town.

Please keep responses spoiler free if possible.
    booinyoureyes
    edited March 2015

Ok, I feel a bit behind the times as I've only put in about 3 hours in the game.

I was wondering how many of you have restarted due (at least in my case) to character-choice-itice. and noticed the companion choice that happens in the first tutorial encounter. Further, does anyone have any theories why this was done given what happens before you get to town.

Please keep responses spoiler free if possible.

I started with a Druid and have kept with the same character, so I can't speak to it. I assumed the female fighter and the rogue were the only companions you could get, one to tank and one to disarm the traps in the tutorial dungeon.

If there are a couple other options I'm all for it, as replays of the game are going to be a big thing. But I wasn't aware there were more than two possibilities, unless I misunderstood you.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I was disappointed that I couldn't get the little kobold-looking thing to join my party.
    proccoelminsterthe_spyder
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    OK, seeing two discussions about the same topic, I decided to separate them in principle and changed this thread's title.

Now when the game is out, use this thread for discussing anything SPOILER-FREE. If you want to discuss something including spoilers, use another thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/40596/pillars-of-eternity-megathread-caution-spoilers/p1
    mlnevesemeaglothBelgarathMTH
    @jjstraka34 - thanks for the response. Not quite what I was asking, but it is difficult as I neither want to give, nor receive spoilers. I am trying to ask if there is any significance to the choice you make at a given juncture in that first dungeon considering what happens directly after that dungeon. Or if it is merely flair that you get a choice that early.

I guess I am just going to have to play out the game and see what, if anything, comes of the encounter in question.

@jjstraka34 - thanks for the response. Not quite what I was asking, but it is difficult as I neither want to give, nor receive spoilers. I am trying to ask if there is any significance to the choice you make at a given juncture in that first dungeon considering what happens directly after that dungeon. Or if it is merely flair that you get a choice that early.

I guess I am just going to have to play out the game and see what, if anything, comes of the encounter in question.

I think I know what you are talking about (one of the hand-drawn cut scenes) and while I have obviously only done it once, my guess is that you'll end up with your companions one way or another no matter what you choose.
    the_spyder
    Dee said:

I was disappointed that I couldn't get the little kobold-looking thing to join my party.

What is the story with that thing? Do you have an option other than attacking (or avoiding) it?
    booinyoureyes
    Dee said:

If you mean the one in the first dungeon, yeah. what's the deal with that little guy? It looked like there should be options to do other than attack/kill it or back off and leave it be. And given the number of options to get through any given 'Problem' in that dungeon, I'd have thought there would be more to it.

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Has anyone come across an action speed mechanic description perchance?
    I want to find out if two-handed weapons are just a bit inferior to one-handed ones or are outright rubbish.